The Role of Tim in Richard's Life

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

The Role of Tim in Richard's Life

Post by NuelUkah »

Richard made mention of his friend Tim. Tim influenced Richard greatly and challenged him to believe in himself and aim higher. Tim helped him overcome his learning disorder. Soon, he was able to read complex books, understand tough subject matters, and retain memory of what he learned.
I found it odd that Richard didn't mention Tim in his acknowledgement, considering the vital role Tim played in his life.
What's your opinion on this?
What do you think about Tim?
Was Tim a coincidence or a destiny helper to Richard?
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Tim was an older and wiser guy than Richard. He helped Richard by telling him to read to overcome learning disorder. Richard has mentioned about his time spent with Tim as a significant part of his memoir, so he might not have put his name in the acknowledgment section.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Raymond Igbiri
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Raymond Igbiri »

According to the book, Tim was older and wiser than Richard. He helped Richard overcome his learning disorder. He also helped him to believe in himself.I think Tim was just a coincidence in his life.But he also played a very vital role in Richard's life. But Tim seems to look like a destiny changer.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I think Tim was very instrumental in helping Richard overcome his difficulty with reading and to help him become confident with books. I liked Tim's approach to just point out books Richard might like and then to lend him books as Richard was ready for them. I think that the thoughtful way Richard wrote of his friend and telling how much he meant to him in his growth was acknowledgement enough.
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

Raymond Igbiri wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 09:00 According to the book, Tim was older and wiser than Richard. He helped Richard overcome his learning disorder. He also helped him to believe in himself.I think Tim was just a coincidence in his life.But he also played a very vital role in Richard's life. But Tim seems to look like a destiny changer.
Are you saying Tim was a coincidence or a destiny changer. Though I don't understand what you mean by 'destiny changer'. Could you explain that?
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

Bluebird03 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 13:15 I think Tim was very instrumental in helping Richard overcome his difficulty with reading and to help him become confident with books. I liked Tim's approach to just point out books Richard might like and then to lend him books as Richard was ready for them. I think that the thoughtful way Richard wrote of his friend and telling how much he meant to him in his growth was acknowledgement enough.
Okay. I think that's cool.

NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

Life In Books wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 06:52 Tim was an older and wiser guy than Richard. He helped Richard by telling him to read to overcome learning disorder. Richard has mentioned about his time spent with Tim as a significant part of his memoir, so he might not have put his name in the acknowledgment section.
Oh! I see.

Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I do not think Tim was a coincidence in Richard's life. There is a reason for every single person who comes into or through our lives. Sometimes this a long-term life-long reason and sometimes they are mearly passing through. Nonetheless, there is something to be learned with every meeting we have. I believe Tim had a positive effect on Richard's life, as Richard went from not being able to read a book to becoming an author.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Jessacardinal »

I do not think Tim was a coincidence in Richard's life. There is a reason for every single person who comes into or through our lives. Sometimes this a long-term life-long reason and sometimes they are mearly passing through. Nonetheless, there is something to be learned with every meeting we have. I believe Tim had a positive effect on Richard's life, as Richard went from not being able to read a book to becoming an author.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

Interesting point! I also felt that Tim was a vital element and acted like a catalyst in the author's life. He intervened when Richard was young and vulnerable, and helped him overcome his learning disabilities. Tim was a true mentor. My heart goes out to people like him, who empower others. They do make the world a better place.
NuelUkah
Currently Reading:

Post by NuelUkah »

mmm17 wrote: 09 Mar 2019, 17:11 Interesting point! I also felt that Tim was a vital element and acted like a catalyst in the author's life. He intervened when Richard was young and vulnerable, and helped him overcome his learning disabilities. Tim was a true mentor. My heart goes out to people like him, who empower others. They do make the world a better place.
Yes, he was indeed a true mentor. He knew about Richard's weaknesses, but never mentioned or said anything about. He just lived the life of a reader so that Richard could see that reading is not boring but interesting. This was enough to propel Richard's determination to read. Now, he is not only a good reader, but also a great author.

Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I do not understand why Richard did not include Tim in the acknowledgment part but obviously the role Tim played was tremendous. It is rare to find such friends.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
vishu
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by vishu »

I think the author relayed Tim's part as more of a life experience rather than something he had deep gratitude for.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I also believe that there are more people who played a role in the author's life although they do not occupy a big portion of the book. Who remembers Jeff? While camping near a river, Richard was severely dehydrated and could not even utter the word water audibly. Fortunately, Jeff happened to ask whether he needed water and did not wait for him to answer but gave him. He saved the author's life. This is another person worth being celebrated.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think Tim's involvement has great significance on Richard's life but not the making of his book. Not being on the acknowledgments isn't really a big deal if your name is already mentioned in the book. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”