Hypocrisy?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Re: Hypocrisy?

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I didn't think about this before, but yes, the author does seem to be hypocritical. Perhaps he believes you can only judge others if you know the "truth", but obviously the woman believed she was speaking the truth just like he does. I also think the idea of passing judgement isn't in line with his belief in Jesus. It seems like he's picking and choosing the parts of each religion he agrees with which can lead to greater spiritual enlightenment but can also allow a person to avoid the teachings they find difficult to follow. This can send them down a road of false enlightenment.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Thank you for being honest in expressing your opinion. Sometimes that is exactly what I need to have a wider perspective on the subject.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I was personally very uncomfortable with the sheer amount of Christian rhetoric through the book. It was very focused on Christian values and teachings despite him living in Japan and encountering Buddhist teachings too. There's many other walks of life and religions that he seemed to totally ignore.
thaservices1
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thaservices1.html
Latest Review: ChatGPT for Entrepreneurs by Steven A. Ridder

Post by thaservices1 »

I think people feel differently about things at different points in their lives. The situation, the history, the experience change our outlooks. Hypocrisy is nothing new in humans, we are changable, it happens.
"It is not the critic that counts..."
- Roosevelt
Maya_Nyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-nyssa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Maya_Nyssa »

I agree, it does seem very hypocritical. It seems he has fallen into the same trap as the woman he criticized. In my opinion, both of them do a poor job of spreading any good with their beliefs. People who are bullied into a mindset, or attacked for being non-believers, are more likely to only be resistant to what someone is saying to them.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

I think what he meant is that the God that his friend's mother described didn't fit the idea of a loving Father. It's not that God is vengeful, angry, racist, etc., but rather that that's how closed-minded believers paint him. I'm not saying I completely understand his idea and agree with everything and will meditate to Isness from on. My point is that the lady would scare them into participating by eternal damnation of the soul, while he is talking more in his vision about the suffering of humans here on Earth still, you know, with the three pillars of ecology, economy and society falling. I think what he's trying to say is that we should be prepared for what is going to happen in not so distant future.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

Kelyn wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 11:34 Sounds to me like he's putting himself in the place of the very God he purports not to believe in. Who is he to pass judgment? I don't so much think he has a double-standard about other religions as much as he dismisses them entirely.
As per my understanding, he wanted to say that religion is biased in the sense that the people who follow a particular religion think it to be better than the other religion. But spirituality is all-inclusive and as per this concept, all humans should be treated with the same kind of unconditioned love.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

LV2R wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 22:50
abbiejoice wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 23:49 I must admit that there seems to be an inconsistency in the author's perspective. He seems to advocate unconditional love (something he doesn't see in traditional Christianity because of its objective definitions of good and evil) but even in his own belief (which he considers not to be a belief at all), there are still many criteria needed for those who want to achieve peace, or happiness or whatever good he deems worth reaching for. Also, his basis for rejecting traditional Christianity is not very clear. There was no mention of a logical and thorough research to understand the Christian faith. The only thing I could remember that he mentioned was his conversation with his own father when he was still a child. This was about how a good God can send someone to hell. It was not explained however, how God respects the freewill of people and how it is the person himself who has the ability to reject God and thus go to hell if he does not desire to go to heaven.
I personally wish that the author had spent even half the time searching the Scriptures in the Bible to understand more fully the core of Jesus' teachings than all the years spent in traveling and learning the unfoldment process. I believe the true Christian perspective of God is that He has unconditional love for us and sent his Son, Jesus Christ to be our Savior and not to condemn us to hell.
I would just like to make a point here. I understand that the author hasn't discussed in depth about Christianity and that can be considered as a shortcoming of this writing. But I would say that Richard L. Haight has definitely made a point clear which we generally ignore; followers of one religion consider themselves to be different and even better than the followers of other religion.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

ViziVoir wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 02:19 I'm quite tired of authors of these kinds of books assuming that others who haven't found "enlightenment" will never lead truly happy or spiritual lives. Certainly, some people can become complacent in their beliefs, but making a blanket statement like that about thousands of strangers is just absurd, in my opinion.
I am into spirituality and have got to know about a few things which have been very helpful in my daily life. After reading this book I did not want to confuse myself so I am happy to take away a few ideas from this read which resonated with my understanding, and I did not rack my brain for the concepts which I could not comprehend.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

spencermack wrote: 10 Mar 2019, 19:08 I can completely understand your point of view here. I think when people try to take old ideas and show that new ideas are better, if it is not organized well enough, the message can get muddled and then turned on its head.
I have been benefited by a few things in this book. I just did not bother to pressurize my brain and confuse myself with certain concepts in this book which I could not comprehend.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Beatus wrote: 12 Mar 2019, 11:34 I will be wrong to tell a Muslim that if he/she does not convert to Christianity then hell is inevitable. But I won't be wrong if I tell schoolchildren that they risk losing trustworthyness if they embrace the habit of not telling the truth. There is no hipocrisy there either.

Being a Muslim or a Christian does not excuse you from losing credibility in your society because you are a liar. Furthermore being a Christian or a Muslim does not automatically make you trustworthy or heaven-bound.
I am in line with the point that you made here. I believe that one faith can't undermine another faith and create unfair differences in society. Faith shouldn't be the decisive factor when considering the trustworthiness of a person.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

nooregano wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 03:53 The author's "belief" is in non-belief. He advocates for unconditional love, but there are also a lot of conditions for people to reach it. He says that everyone is perfect the way they are because Isness just is, but people are making "bad choices" by being negative or selfish. However, since life is made up of contrasts, I'm not sure these statements have to be mutually exclusive or "hypocritical." I'm still reading this book. I'll have to think a bit more on this!
I was personally intrigued by the concept of Isness which Richard describes as the sheer existence without association with anything mortal.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Mailis wrote: 18 Mar 2019, 10:57 I always feel that the strict structure and commandments in any religion are created by people wanting to control other people. Judging others or condemning them to "hell" is very human thing to do and mostly comes from a place of inner fear and ego.
I agree with your point. People judge others because of their own insecurity and ego.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Renu G wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 09:26 Well, the author does mention about God's unconditional love at the end of the book. I wonder why you think otherwise.
I also agree with you on this point. Richard has mentioned that the true essence of religion and God's main message is about unconditional love for everyone.
Moddesser Elahi
Currently Reading:

Joe Hadithi wrote: 22 Mar 2019, 21:26 That's the thing with religions. The one you believe in is the only true one. All the others are hot air.
Exactly! I also find a similar problem with religion. One religion is considered to be better than the other religion and vice-versa.

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”