Hypocrisy?

Use this forum to discuss the March 2019 Book of the month, "The Unbound Soul: A Visionary Guide to Spiritual Transformation and Enlightenment" by Richard L. Haight
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Hypocrisy?

Post by Mailis »

I always feel that the strict structure and commandments in any religion are created by people wanting to control other people. Judging others or condemning them to "hell" is very human thing to do and mostly comes from a place of inner fear and ego.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

He seems to be making his own religion and wants everyone to believe the way he does. That does sound hypocritical to me.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I would not label it as hypocrisy, but I do find a contradiction between the author's claim that Jesus asked him to find his bones ( the core of his teaching) and his belief in reincarnation.

Rebirth goes against the essence of Christianity which is founded on Jesus' death and resurrection. Hence, the author is actually distorting Jesus' teaching on this point. Otherwise, I liked his spirituality.
sylviab98
Favorite Book: Storm and Silence
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sylviab98.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by sylviab98 »

LV2R wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 22:50
abbiejoice wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 23:49 I must admit that there seems to be an inconsistency in the author's perspective. He seems to advocate unconditional love (something he doesn't see in traditional Christianity because of its objective definitions of good and evil) but even in his own belief (which he considers not to be a belief at all), there are still many criteria needed for those who want to achieve peace, or happiness or whatever good he deems worth reaching for. Also, his basis for rejecting traditional Christianity is not very clear. There was no mention of a logical and thorough research to understand the Christian faith. The only thing I could remember that he mentioned was his conversation with his own father when he was still a child. This was about how a good God can send someone to hell. It was not explained however, how God respects the freewill of people and how it is the person himself who has the ability to reject God and thus go to hell if he does not desire to go to heaven.
I personally wish that the author had spent even half the time searching the Scriptures in the Bible to understand more fully the core of Jesus' teachings than all the years spent in traveling and learning the unfoldment process. I believe the true Christian perspective of God is that He has unconditional love for us and sent his Son, Jesus Christ to be our Savior and not to condemn us to hell.
I love your answer. I also think that the Author didn't give the reader a thorough answer as to what the real Christianity is.And that is because in the end, after doing all his research and after traveling and learning he didn't understand the way that God loved us and still loves us. He sent his son, Jesus, to save us from sin and to not perish.
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Well, the author does mention about God's unconditional love at the end of the book. I wonder why you think otherwise.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

Certainly so, the author seems more intent on burying the bones of Jesus if ever he would find them as oppose to bringing persons to the core tenets of Christain practices and beliefs.
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

LV2R wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 22:50
abbiejoice wrote: 07 Mar 2019, 23:49 I must admit that there seems to be an inconsistency in the author's perspective. He seems to advocate unconditional love (something he doesn't see in traditional Christianity because of its objective definitions of good and evil) but even in his own belief (which he considers not to be a belief at all), there are still many criteria needed for those who want to achieve peace, or happiness or whatever good he deems worth reaching for. Also, his basis for rejecting traditional Christianity is not very clear. There was no mention of a logical and thorough research to understand the Christian faith. The only thing I could remember that he mentioned was his conversation with his own father when he was still a child. This was about how a good God can send someone to hell. It was not explained however, how God respects the freewill of people and how it is the person himself who has the ability to reject God and thus go to hell if he does not desire to go to heaven.
I personally wish that the author had spent even half the time searching the Scriptures in the Bible to understand more fully the core of Jesus' teachings than all the years spent in traveling and learning the unfoldment process. I believe the true Christian perspective of God is that He has unconditional love for us and sent his Son, Jesus Christ to be our Savior and not to condemn us to hell.
This is very true. It was an instance of believing what he was told without also trying to find out the whole truth just as he embarked on a mission to find the essence of the teachings of Jesus.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
brainwill_writes
Currently Reading: The World of Ato
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by brainwill_writes »

The author's ideology about the Christian religion is flawed with a series of inconsistencies as to what the religion stands for.
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

That's the thing with religions. The one you believe in is the only true one. All the others are hot air.
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Perhaps, because the author doesn't have enough faith within himself. I don't know exactly why he narrated it that way.

Simply, believing in God you know you won't dare to speak violently of him. Yet, the author's perspective about the specific religion might be different.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
Enigma44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-enigma44.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Enigma44 »

soccerts wrote: 06 Mar 2019, 20:34 I’m not trying to vilify the author, but I'm curious to hear your opinions on this. Did you find his religious/spiritual approach to be colored by hypocrisy?

Early on, the author is put-off of Christianity because a woman told him that everyone who didn’t convert to her religion would go to hell. After talking it over with his father, he decided that was unfair and he would have no respect for such a god.

Later in the book, he explains his own spiritual revelation and says that if everyone doesn’t change their way of thinking to what he suggests then, “the suffering will be an immeasurable Hell on Earth.”

How is that any different or more fair/loving than the Christian woman’s beliefs? He goes even further to say that there will be near-extinction levels of destruction, and even if people do change and do exactly as he says, there will be incomprehensible suffering, because it’s already too late.

In between these two examples, he also judges an entire stadium of strangers, saying that there was something wrong in their hearts. Thousands of people he’s never even spoken to. He says he is motivated by love, but so do a lot of religions who come to similar conclusions.

It seems like he has a blatant double-standard for other beliefs vs his own spiritual assertions.
What do you guys think?
Interesting that is how you interpret Haight’s “path of awakening” as he calls it. To me, he borrowed a lot from various religions and beliefs, and repackaged them his way. I did not feel condemned in any way, even though I don’t plan to get on his path. Pointing out that there is something wrong with all of our hearts is a hard truth to swallow but still true. I think his biggest gripe with other religions is worshipping figures/gods. Do you see that too?
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

yea..true
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I think it's definitely hypocritical of the narrator to say he can't believe in a God that sends those who don't convert to hell then turn around and say those who don't convert to his ways will suffer for it. A gentler approach would have sufficed in my opinion but let's face it, he's human and sometimes these things slip out and unfortunately, we can't take them back.
Diana Lowery
Currently Reading: The Exchange
Bookshelf Size: 340
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-diana-lowery.html
Latest Review: Where's Baby, Momma? by Antoinette McDonald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Diana Lowery »

I was also confused until the author stated that his teaching was not a belief system. "It comes from direct experience and is to help others set aside biases, assumptions, and beliefs so they can experience life more directly for themselves." Hence, the journey and the outcome would be different for everyone. He is just explaining how he got there, and along the way he changed his mind about things which would appear hypocritical.
IamShing

Post by IamShing »

Thanks for the head uo

Return to “Discuss "Unbound Soul" by Richard L. Haight”