WWII FICTION STORY

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
imshaima
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 136
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imshaima.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

WWII FICTION STORY

Post by imshaima »

As a person who studied Global History, I was really taken away by the story-lines of the book; how the author masterfully plotted it and captured the events or the major obstacles of the horrific period in the human history in a different and light-weighted way.

In your opinion, does the book also reflects our present day? why or why not?
“In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer.”
Albert Camus
timd
Favorite Book: The Rim of Space
Currently Reading: Making Monsters
Bookshelf Size: 440
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-timd.html
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited

Post by timd »

I think this book addresses aspects and particularly people who aided in the Great War who have not previously been mentioned. Although this is fiction a lot of it is based on actual experiences by the author's father. Although there is a lot of wry humour in the book it manages to convey an atmosphere of realism due to the detailed research that is included in details within the book.
Latest Review: Mobius by Garon Whited
Antonio Barrella
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-antonio-barrella.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Antonio Barrella »

I don't think this book reflects the society today. It is more focused on the activities in the mid 1950s.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

imshaima wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 10:24 As a person who studied Global History, I was really taken away by the story-lines of the book; how the author masterfully plotted it and captured the events or the major obstacles of the horrific period in the human history in a different and light-weighted way.

In your opinion, does the book also reflects our present day? why or why not?
I think part of the book reflects our present day because it is a story of war which remains the same in any generation. The difference between war then and now is development of strategies and weapons. Even though the book is fiction, some parts are real as it also entails experiences of Kater's father.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

War is so different nowadays, to what it used to be. The mechanism of warfare has become far more high-tech and impersonal. It has also come closer, brought into our homes and lives through advanced communications, social media and the internet. I think the author skillfully captured the war setting of that day, but it is a far cry from what we are exposed to in the present.
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

As we love to say in my country "History repeats itself constantly". Unfortunately, the same goes for the events of this book as well.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
nooregano
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nooregano.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Dirtbag waitress by Alice Auditore

Post by nooregano »

Any lesson from the past is also applicable today. Themes of the human condition recur again and again, although they take different forms.
"I speak only one language, and it is not my own." - Jacques Derrida
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

In some ways, it reflects the present in that "war is war, conflict is conflict." That said, I think it reflects more of that time period than it does the present. As noted by a previous reviewer, war today is very different, influenced greatly by the technology and weapons we now have.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
soccerts
Favorite Book: Farenheit 451
Currently Reading: Theory of Colours
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-soccerts.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by soccerts »

I think that it certainly has thematic applications to modern times, but I'd definitely say that the book is a strong historical piece and is more reflective of that era. My father worked in military intelligence, and even by the end of the Cold War, the way spy networks operated was so fundamentally different.
María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Kristin Hannah
Favorite Book: The Nightingale
Currently Reading: Killing Shore
Bookshelf Size: 2389
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mar-a-andrea-fern-ndez-sep-lveda.html
Latest Review: You Say Goodbye by Keith Steinbaum
fav_author_id: 5604

Post by María Andrea Fernández Sepúlveda »

sonya01 wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 17:33 War is so different nowadays, to what it used to be. The mechanism of warfare has become far more high-tech and impersonal. It has also come closer, brought into our homes and lives through advanced communications, social media and the internet. I think the author skillfully captured the war setting of that day, but it is a far cry from what we are exposed to in the present.
I totally agree. Warfare has changed a lot with the development of technology and, even, with the changes in society and politics that have changed the previous "rules" of war and what was expected. I agree we can also see it closer with the development of technology and, in some way, social media and connectivity, in general, give us a voice in social issues and we need to learn how to use it.
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

War is a common phenomena in any time in this conflict based world. Only the technology and strategies will differ
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I don't think the book is a reflective of today. General ideas like war and history repeating itself, maybe there could be a connection. But considering the whole story, I dont think so. Sure we still have wars happening but they are on a completely different reason than in WWII. The story isn't a reflective of today's wars. It's a historical fiction set in the time of WWII, I don't think there's any correlation to today. :tiphat:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

In my opinion, the scale of the war may not be as big as during the WWII but there is some reflection to the present. A good example would be spying. The techniques might have changed but it is an art of war that is still being practiced.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Sushan wrote: 20 Feb 2019, 02:12 War is a common phenomena in any time in this conflict based world. Only the technology and strategies will differ
I am of this opinion too. Some strategies some such as spy also still exist but perhaps the methods used may change with time depending on the setting.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
yoda4ever
Favorite Book: Fervent
Currently Reading: Belgravia
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoda4ever.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by yoda4ever »

I think it does not represent our modern society and war. We have more technology now, better air crafts, weapons. Although, I think humanity has become more greedy, hateful and cold towards each other.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”