WWII FICTION STORY

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Re: WWII FICTION STORY

Post by ma_mon28 »

NuelUkah wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 12:36
imshaima wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 10:24 As a person who studied Global History, I was really taken away by the story-lines of the book; how the author masterfully plotted it and captured the events or the major obstacles of the horrific period in the human history in a different and light-weighted way.

In your opinion, does the book also reflects our present day? why or why not?
I think part of the book reflects our present day because it is a story of war which remains the same in any generation. The difference between war then and now is development of strategies and weapons. Even though the book is fiction, some parts are real as it also entails experiences of Kater's father.
You've got it well! I see, hearing the world news now adays are very devastating and scary. Anytime of the day, world war 3 will begin. Yes, it connects our generations today. The roots of history never been forgotten and will definitely "repeat."
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

ma_mon28 wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 07:56
NuelUkah wrote: 15 Feb 2019, 12:36
imshaima wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 10:24 As a person who studied Global History, I was really taken away by the story-lines of the book; how the author masterfully plotted it and captured the events or the major obstacles of the horrific period in the human history in a different and light-weighted way.

I think part of the book reflects our present day because it is a story of war which remains the same in any generation. The difference between war then and now is development of strategies and weapons. Even though the book is fiction, some parts are real as it also entails experiences of Kater's father.
You've got it well! I see, hearing the world news now adays are very devastating and scary. Anytime of the day, world war 3 will begin. Yes, it connects our generations today. The roots of history never been forgotten and will definitely "repeat."
Very devastating indeed. We are in the end of days. More devastating news are yet to come. I pray we won't be victims.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

This is a true statement. It is undeniable fact that people have grown interconnected through the available channels of communication yet in reality there is a widening gap in the connectivity of people too. Relationships are now more superficial and fashioned to profiles that fit Facebook platorms, Twitter, Instagram, and others.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
mmm17
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mmm17.html
Latest Review: Broke Open by Lela Becker

Post by mmm17 »

I believe there are common elements in every war, although the wars fought nowadays probably have less casualties and are not as large-scale as World War II. When it comes to spies, though, I do think that the spying activities portrayed in the book are very similar to what happens today. My guess is MI6 operates in a similar manner.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Kibetious wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 16:21 This is a true statement. It is undeniable fact that people have grown interconnected through the available channels of communication yet in reality there is a widening gap in the connectivity of people too. Relationships are now more superficial and fashioned to profiles that fit Facebook platorms, Twitter, Instagram, and others.
Yes! Since we are now in the digital stage, we tend to forget the war stories. Indeed, the world still at war!
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

mmm17 wrote: 25 Feb 2019, 17:13 I believe there are common elements in every war, although the wars fought nowadays probably have less casualties and are not as large-scale as World War II. When it comes to spies, though, I do think that the spying activities portrayed in the book are very similar to what happens today. My guess is MI6 operates in a similar manner.
When the world at war, I don't know if there will be less casualties since different countries have advanced technologies. So sad for small countries and poor countries.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I think this book somehow still reflects the world as it is today. As long as there is a struggle for power, there will always be a battle between various opposing forces.
Macanthony
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-macanthony.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Macanthony »

:roll: the book doesn't reflect on the modern time it is based on the 1950s
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

The technology has changed but war never changes. I think we can learn more from history than we might think.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Namaya manocha
Favorite Book: Percy Jackson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Namaya manocha »

I think that they tell us great stories and change the reality of the past event to form another point of view and it helps the readers to understand what happened in a easier way . It is easy for kids to think what happened in a fictional way than the real one . It becomes two sides of one coin and helps the reader to vast their imagination . It helps the mind to have great expectations and belief in humanity.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Macanthony wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 11:00 :roll: the book doesn't reflect on the modern time it is based on the 1950s
Glad that I am not the only one who thinks about the book this way. It was such a funny question that it would be related to this time. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Namaya manocha wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 11:55 I think that they tell us great stories and change the reality of the past event to form another point of view and it helps the readers to understand what happened in a easier way . It is easy for kids to think what happened in a fictional way than the real one . It becomes two sides of one coin and helps the reader to vast their imagination . It helps the mind to have great expectations and belief in humanity.
I agree with you being it an easier way to understand what happened in the past. Historical fiction makes history enjoyable to read for some.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Jaypagliaro
Currently Reading: Destructive Interference
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaypagliaro.html
Latest Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Jaypagliaro »

I don't think it reflects much on today. The times were considerably different then. While war seems universal, the atmosphere of the WWII period versus now is almost night and day.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

The characters in the story and the focus on their development in some ways distracted from an in depth look at events that were taking place during this time of history. However, the book does not seem to reflect our present day.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

abbiejoice wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 01:48 I think this book somehow still reflects the world as it is today. As long as there is a struggle for power, there will always be a battle between various opposing forces.
Yeah, hearing different stories of war preparation. Battle seems at hand. Hoping for no more ww3 for I guess there will be too many casualties since population grows faster.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”