Who do you think the title refers to?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
elivia05
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elivia05.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Re: Who do you think the title refers to?

Post by elivia05 »

The title itself reminds me of a tribe or an uncivilized community.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

abbiejoice wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 01:40 At first, I thought it only referred to Jacko. But having considered the contribution of Sarah, and also considering how even Jamie has been considered as a Warramunga brother, I have realized that the title really refers to the general theme of the book that coincides with the spirit of the Warramunga.
Same here. Also, the second book sticks to the Warramunga as it is entitled "The Skills of the Warramunga". I guess the author's intent is very clear on that them of the series. I didn't know it was until I saw the second book. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Shilpa Paul
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Revolution
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shilpa-paul.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Shilpa Paul »

I think the book gets its title from Jacko being from Warramunga. Jacko being the main focus and the action mostly revolves around him and his aboriginal skills.
Jaypagliaro
Currently Reading: Destructive Interference
Bookshelf Size: 424
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaypagliaro.html
Latest Review: The Devil Take Tomorrow by Gretchen Jeannette

Post by Jaypagliaro »

My guess is Jack, based off his Aboriginal heritage.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Final Keystone by John Kevin Crowley

Post by Radiant3 »

I think the title refers to Jacko and his sister. Also the fact that part of the story took place in the Warramunga's territory.
Londera
Favorite Author: Lauren Oliver
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... elirium</a>
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 391
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-londera.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2442

Post by Londera »

The title more than likely refers to his heritage. Though it could have a double meaning
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

abbiejoice wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 01:40 At first, I thought it only referred to Jacko. But having considered the contribution of Sarah, and also considering how even Jamie has been considered as a Warramunga brother, I have realized that the title really refers to the general theme of the book that coincides with the spirit of the Warramunga.
Very well said!

The end part of the book make me realized it's the warramunga's journey during the war and fighting the other type of war in life.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Londera wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 16:26 The title more than likely refers to his heritage. Though it could have a double meaning
Yah, sounds like that! I thought that the first book would tackle more on war activities, I realized somewhat it was an overview for the next series. Maybe the next explains the warramungas attributes on ww2.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:

Post by ma_mon28 »

Shilpa Paul wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 00:24 I think the book gets its title from Jacko being from Warramunga. Jacko being the main focus and the action mostly revolves around him and his aboriginal skills.
You're right! I think its more on their journey in ww2 than fighting in battle line. Their own battle is not more on firing the enemies, but chasing them. Still, their role contributes for victory.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Londera wrote: 28 Feb 2019, 16:26 The title more than likely refers to his heritage. Though it could have a double meaning
Speaking of double meaning, it could have been one since when you search for "Warramunga" on google, it will show you a war navy ship. :eusa-think:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

I think the title referred to jack, as he's a half-aboriginal member of the waramunga tribe.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I had found it strange that the title referred to something that appeared so late into the book (the tribe) but now that you mention it it does probably refer to Jacko!
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

NuelUkah wrote: 14 Feb 2019, 20:39
Popcorn1 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 03:03 In books, the title has a relationship to the story. So, when I started reading the book, I was looking for that connection. I has many assumptions and one of them is: when the Japanese was involved in the war, Jacko and Jaime was sent back to Australia to provide assistance. Then the Warramunga tribe will thus be embroiled in the war. However, as I read further, I found out that my assumption was wrong.

With the fact that Jacko is a half-Warramunga aboriginal and he is currently participating in the Syrian war and World War II, I realized he is the connection. And when Jaime was accepted as the brother of the Warramunga, I came to the conclusion that the title is referring to the wars that Jacko and Jaime have participated in.

How about you? Who do you think is the title referring to and when did you realize it?
If the title is referring to the wars that Jacko and Jamie have participated in, then the title would be 'The Warramungas' War', not 'The Warramunga's War'. I think the title refers to the wars in which the Warramunga tribe helped Jacko and Jamie. Therefore, the Warramunga is referring to a people.
Actually, it would read "The Warramungas' Wars" if it was referring to the wars both men partook in because it's plural. However, I don't think Jamie can be included among the Warramungas in that title, since Jacko himself is only half Warramunga and is the native one. I'm inclined to think of the title as referring to the entire tribe, but then again it probably would have been "The Warramungas' War." So this means it's all about Jacko himself.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Vickie Noel
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 86063">Are you afraid of the dark</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 868
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vickie-noel.html
Latest Review: Modern Day Cowboy by Nathaniel Sheft
Reading Device: B01C9JZEBO

Post by Vickie Noel »

elivia05 wrote: 26 Feb 2019, 23:25 The title itself reminds me of a tribe or an uncivilized community.
MY first thought too. The sound of the name Warramunga just took me straight into the jungle and the primitive but skilled tribal community residing there. Lol.
Stop waiting for what you WANT, start working with what you HAVE. --- Seth Cain
Never be bullied into questioning your own credibility. --- Vickie Noel
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I thought the book was all about some old war and bloodshed.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”