Who do you think the title refers to?

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Re: Who do you think the title refers to?

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Popcorn1 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 03:03 In books, the title has a relationship to the story. So, when I started reading the book, I was looking for that connection. I has many assumptions and one of them is: when the Japanese was involved in the war, Jacko and Jaime was sent back to Australia to provide assistance. Then the Warramunga tribe will thus be embroiled in the war. However, as I read further, I found out that my assumption was wrong.

With the fact that Jacko is a half-Warramunga aboriginal and he is currently participating in the Syrian war and World War II, I realized he is the connection. And when Jaime was accepted as the brother of the Warramunga, I came to the conclusion that the title is referring to the wars that Jacko and Jaime have participated in.

How about you? Who do you think is the title referring to and when did you realize it?

This is why I love these forums, you gain a new appreciation for the books you read. I hardly ever think about book titles, but you thought about this so deeply. I'm going to adopt this!
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

To me the title sounded firstly like a tribal war and secondly like war-among-us.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

I think the title hinted what the reader would find in the story.
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope
angellove123
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by angellove123 »

I think the title refers to the description of the content of the book as a whole. It is the product or the connection of the combined ideas on the book.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

The title refers to Jacko, a half-aboriginal member of the Warramunga tribe. So, references the tribe.
Kimberly Grow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 167
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimberly-grow.html
Latest Review: Dagger's Destiny by Linnea Tanner

Post by Kimberly Grow »

I will be honest. This book was not at all what I had expected and I couldn't figure out how the title had anything to do with the book itself considering that the only real mention of the Warramunga was in Jacko's heritage. I don't see where the Warramunga stand out in this particular book. It isn't until the end of the book that the Warramunga peoples are even showcased. Sarah did have a part but she seemed mostly like filler to me. I hope that the next book goes deeper into the tribe and not unrelated material as this book seems to have done.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

briellejee wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 11:39 To be honest, the title reminded me of a warship. It's more like a "what" instead of a "who" for me. Warramunga is a name of navy ship used for war and that was my first impression of the title of the book. But after reading, I think I realized that it actually referred to Jacko and his skills as a half-Warramunga aboriginal and how such a native may have won the war due to his inborn qualities and sharing them with Jamie as well. This is further expanded too in the second book of the series entitled "The Skills of the Warramunga". So I believed the book, and the rest of the series is centered on the Warramunga tribe. :tiphat:
I had no expectations about the title because I did not know what Warramunga meant at all. Now that I've read it, I assumed it was about Jacko and his roots. I had no idea there is a ship called Warramunga!
Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger

Post by Sharon2056 »

The title got me curious as well but as I read it I realized it reffered mainly to jacko.
daydreaming reader
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-daydreaming-reader.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by daydreaming reader »

I couldn't find the connection either, except for Jacko being half-Warramunga aboriginal.
"Without chaos, there can be no order"
- Heath D. Alberts
"You must have chaos within you to give birth to a dancing star."
Friedrich Nietzsche
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Stellae »

The title most definitely relates to the protagonist and his people, being of Warramunga heritage. The 'war' aspect I feel self explanatory in the novel's contents.
Roxanne Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-roxanne-thomas.html
Latest Review: Toward Happier Choices by Michael Oborn

Post by Roxanne Thomas »

Once you have read the book you will see that the title clearly refers to Jack O'Brien, better known as Jacko in the book. It's about his heritage and way of life despite the way he looked and his educational background. Excellent book.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

Am currently reading this book and I think the title refers to Jacko and his Australian aborigine background.
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

Popcorn1 wrote: 08 Feb 2019, 03:03 In books, the title has a relationship to the story. So, when I started reading the book, I was looking for that connection. I has many assumptions and one of them is: when the Japanese was involved in the war, Jacko and Jaime was sent back to Australia to provide assistance. Then the Warramunga tribe will thus be embroiled in the war. However, as I read further, I found out that my assumption was wrong.

With the fact that Jacko is a half-Warramunga aboriginal and he is currently participating in the Syrian war and World War II, I realized he is the connection. And when Jaime was accepted as the brother of the Warramunga, I came to the conclusion that the title is referring to the wars that Jacko and Jaime have participated in.

How about you? Who do you think is the title referring to and when did you realize it?
I think that the title is referring to Jacko. I realized that towards the end of the book.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I was honestly confused about the title, as it only seemed that the Warramunga was just Jacko's heritage. It wasn't until I came into this thread to see people's opinions I noted the navy ship. But I do agree with a lot of the people here that say it is due to the way that the tribe helped- either because of Jacko himself or his relatives. I must admit I also assumed there would be more presence of the tribe, but I still enjoyed it nonetheless!
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I felt that the title referred to Jacko and his role in the war. Because it refers to his heritage and his role was big in the book on defeating the enemy. However, when he had to leave Monique behind, I thought that was another war entirely.
Everything happens for a reason...

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”