The diversity of the characters

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Re: The diversity of the characters

Post by Vlinstry »

I really loved the diversity but I tend to try to see the characters in my head and so it always took a moment to try to picture the different nationalities properly. But overall I think it enhances the story!
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

The diversity seems to do it for a lot of people. I think Kater did an excellent job with this book, though I am yet to read it.
hala-elnagy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hala-elnagy.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by hala-elnagy »

Diversity in the book made it more unique and the title also was very attractive.
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

There are so many characters in this book that we can say that there is a diversity of the characters. French,English, Arab, Australian, Czech, and German all have been discussed in this book.
Onlymaxmc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Onlymaxmc »

Under normal circumstances diversities are not that enjoyable if you ask me. Some novels are hard to keep up with because of the diversities, it makes the whole novel confusing. For the first time in a long time i enjoyed it when i read The Warramunga's War.
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

Haven't read it yet but would surely love to read it for the diversity in characters.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Kajori Sheryl Paul
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Noah's Quest
Bookshelf Size: 958
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kajori-sheryl-paul.html
Latest Review: Not Fishy Enough by Briton Kolber

Post by Kajori Sheryl Paul »

I think the diversity enhanced the book. Also, the author's portrayal of the characters are quite realistic.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

I love the fact that some phrases are in the native language.There was no distraction for me in fact i think its one of the best aspects of this book.I always love diversity in what i am reading because the book becomes so much more interesting for me.

An added bonus on my part is the fact that i know a little French so i enjoyed the French words in the book.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

diversity of characters makes the book more realistic. its refreshing to see that the author does not stick to stereotypes.
Dhxv_19
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Dhxv_19 »

The diversity is indeed really good.... the fact that a lot of countries are used Nd it’s native language is being used it attractive even. More specially that In the second book of this series, Kater's take on diversity also takes place. He included a Filipino child as one of his characters which bring anxiety to read the second series :techie-reference: :techie-reference:
Dammycrown

Post by Dammycrown »

I like the diversity! It really enhance the book although the book is kinda of hard to read;have to reread some lines nonetheless the book is really nice.
planet_114

Post by planet_114 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 01:53 From Australia to Egypt and back, The Warramunga's War introduces a wide range of characters. More than the Warramunga, one also meets French, English, Arab, Australian, Czech, and German characters. At times, Kater even allows these characters to say phrases in their native tongues.

Did you find this distracting as you were reading, or did it enhance the book for you? Also, what are your thoughts on how diversity is portrayed in the book, in general?
The diversity worked for me as I found this book refreshing and unique because of it. First, I come across the title and it made me want to know more about the title. Afterwards, as the story unfolds I meet all this diverse characters.
Meliha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Meliha »

Ever_Reading wrote: 27 Feb 2019, 10:24
Meliha wrote: 11 Feb 2019, 14:21 I love diversity, though sticking to one language can work just as well, except when one character is lost due to a language barrier. In this case, I think it's good to use other languages as it helps the reader (unless they know the language) to sympathise with the character.

But since we are on the topic of diversity, I find that a group of friends is never so diverse in real life. From what I've seen, I'd say people pick up each other's gestures, let alone other traits, without even noticing it. And a group will distance an individual that doesn't 'fit in'. It's fascinating stuff. So diversity only works in stories where the characters are not close friends.
I agree with you. Language can be tricky to handle sometimes. But at times it can be used to help the reader get closer to the characters.

Interesting take you have on diversity. It's definitely true in some instances. However, I've read some books where diverse characters were close friends or even lovers. I get what you mean though. :D
I grew up believing that no matter who I am, I might find people who will be my friends because different people can be friends, and I am very flexible and tolerant so I just need someone who likes me. Real life surprised me big time. :o :shock: :o :) :D In real life, people look for confirmation that their way to life and their nature is great by 'collecting' others who are like them. I'm a book addict. I know more about life from books than from living (yes, I am an activist and I do have rich experience, but books still win :D ) and people wish they could believe that perfection doesn't exist, but I think deep down they want to be perfect and believe they can be. So anything that works against that they can't 'trust', or don't want to trust. I think people are amazing, but to be honest, I am more interested in flaws and how they deal with it (including my own), than in this fanatic desire to learn about success. I wish there were more books about failures. For me, that's the real life! Yes, success can happen, and it is wonderful when it does, but it is the times of failure that really teach us about life. The Iliad is really about failures all around - LOVE IT!
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Ever_Reading wrote: 06 Feb 2019, 01:53 From Australia to Egypt and back, The Warramunga's War introduces a wide range of characters. More than the Warramunga, one also meets French, English, Arab, Australian, Czech, and German characters. At times, Kater even allows these characters to say phrases in their native tongues.

Did you find this distracting as you were reading, or did it enhance the book for you? Also, what are your thoughts on how diversity is portrayed in the book, in general?
It's great when a book takes the time to flesh out characters through diversity among other things. As much as some people might have a problem with foreign words in the text, I don't (so long the context can be easily understood).
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

planet_114 wrote: 08 Mar 2019, 01:30

The diversity worked for me as I found this book refreshing and unique because of it. First, I come across the title and it made me want to know more about the title. Afterwards, as the story unfolds I meet all this diverse characters.
I really like the title as well, it spells a change of pace from stereotypical books. All in all, kudos to the author.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”