The killer SPOILER

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Re: The killer SPOILER

Post by DC Brown »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 07:55 This topic might result to be a spoiler, but I'm really curious about others' bets on that. I'm usually pretty good at predicting events, endings or guessing characters. I found Matt really suspicious from the very beginning. But then, when Johnny asked Hardcastle during the Christmas party if he thinks the killer is British, I was torn between the two: Matt and Johnny. Who did you think was the killer?
I was suspicious of both Johnny and Matt at first, but then it seemed Matt was missing more of the time than Johnny. And Matt didn't seem to have as much purpose as the other three. So I dismissed Johnny as a suspect pretty early on went with Matt when the killer was in the alley pretending to be hurt.
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Stellae »

I could picture it as both, but Matt was more suspicious
ayoomisope
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayoomisope.html
Latest Review: Absolute Truth by Joab Russo

Post by ayoomisope »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:42
Miercoles wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:22 I thought it was Matt from the very beginning. I was hoping for a last minute twist to prove me wrong, but that did not happen.
Oh, yeah, I know that feeling. You know someone is guilty, or going to die, or betray, but you still hope you're wrong until the last moment. But your gut's never wrong ;)
That gut feeling is good for me sometimes, but I really don't like predictable stories. I enjoy stories with carefully written twists and turns.
“Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.”
― Charles William Eliot
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I think Matt was the killer from the earliest starting point. Though, I started to suspect Johnny at some point anyway.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I think Matt was the killer from the earliest starting point. Though, I started to suspect Johnny at some point.
nbel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nbel.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by nbel »

From the very beginning, Matt seemed very suspicious to me. I thought that Matt was the killer, but I was hoping for an intriguing plot twist that would completely change the turn of events. Sadly, it did not happen.
Salma M
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-salma-m.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by Salma M »

Matt looks more suspicious but I think Johnny is the killer
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

There were clues to the fact that it was Matt, but I wasn't 100 percent certain. It certainly changed the story quickly though.
Everything happens for a reason...
Crazyreader01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-crazyreader01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Crazyreader01 »

I've never really thought to predict the events of a story. Sure some characters give off certain vibes that you just know that they'll be the villain or whatever, but I usually tend to just go along with the story and not try to think about what might happen. Maybe that's why I always get really annoyed with authors when they kill off a character or a character that I really liked turns out to be the evil one. Maybe I should start trying to predict what will happen.
OskaWrites
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oskawrites.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by OskaWrites »

I was surprised by Matt being the murderer, but I have to admit when he approached Fanny it had the same tension as the poor girl who was assaulted. I was suspicious, but I started thinking maybe it wasn't him as the story went on.
chiefsimplex
Currently Reading: A Second, Less Capable Head
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chiefsimplex.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn

Post by chiefsimplex »

All indications here pointed to Matt
“So many books, so little time.”
― Frank Zappa
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

Well, I'm going to read the book and it's interesting to read a discussion like this which will either spoil my reading or make it more mysterious.
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I knew it was Matt. I was hoping that it wasn't going to be him, but I knew I was right. I felt like my suspicions were confirmed when he and Fanny were arguing in the garden at Monique's house. It was even more definite when he was trying to so quickly get out of town.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

OskaWrites wrote: 19 Mar 2019, 11:06 I was surprised by Matt being the murderer, but I have to admit when he approached Fanny it had the same tension as the poor girl who was assaulted. I was suspicious, but I started thinking maybe it wasn't him as the story went on.
I had a similar thought during that scene, particularly with the way the first scene was framed, but funnily enough, I was suspicious much earlier when he made an offhand comment about Jacko. I didn't make a note about it, but it raised my hackles because it was sort of a racist dogwhistle when everyone else in the novel was pretty much okay with him, when sober at least.

I really wanted a twist, though. Like, something to make the guy seem like just your run of the mill soldier than a serial rapist and murder. It was a good setup for the Australian portion of the book though.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

I didn't suspect him as the killer, but I had the impression that he would betray them somehow. Him being so easily recruited for the spying mission was a red flag.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”