The killer SPOILER

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anna-maria-86.html
Latest Review: Skills of the Warramunga by Greg Kater

The killer SPOILER

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

This topic might result to be a spoiler, but I'm really curious about others' bets on that. I'm usually pretty good at predicting events, endings or guessing characters. I found Matt really suspicious from the very beginning. But then, when Johnny asked Hardcastle during the Christmas party if he thinks the killer is British, I was torn between the two: Matt and Johnny. Who did you think was the killer?
Popcorn1
Currently Reading: The reel sistelrs
Bookshelf Size: 75
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-popcorn1.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Popcorn1 »

It's definitely Matt.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

As much as I agree with you that Matt seemed to be really suspicious at the start, I really thought it was Johnny. Matt being weirdly suspicious at the start made ME suspicious. Having read a lot of spy and detective novels, I just don't trust authors when they make a character suspicious because it misleads me. :D
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I thought it was Matt from the very beginning. I was hoping for a last minute twist to prove me wrong, but that did not happen.
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Miercoles wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:22 I thought it was Matt from the very beginning. I was hoping for a last minute twist to prove me wrong, but that did not happen.
Oh, yeah, I know that feeling. You know someone is guilty, or going to die, or betray, but you still hope you're wrong until the last moment. But your gut's never wrong ;)
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

At one point, I suspected Johnny. But, I always had a bad feeling about Matt. Oddly enough, it was how he easily charmed Fanny that raised a red flag for me. Granted, Fanny was in a bad space after her husband's death. But still, Matt was a bit too smooth for my liking.
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

briellejee wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 23:51 As much as I agree with you that Matt seemed to be really suspicious at the start, I really thought it was Johnny. Matt being weirdly suspicious at the start made ME suspicious. Having read a lot of spy and detective novels, I just don't trust authors when they make a character suspicious because it misleads me. :D
I know right! When it seems a bit obvious who the culprit is, I usually assume the author is trying to trick me. :lol2:
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 00:58 At one point, I suspected Johnny. But, I always had a bad feeling about Matt. Oddly enough, it was how he easily charmed Fanny that raised a red flag for me. Granted, Fanny was in a bad space after her husband's death. But still, Matt was a bit too smooth for my liking.
Weird, I never really had a red flag moment, I just didn't trust the guy. But I guess you are right, for such a shy bloke to chat up a girl like that, he must have sensed a victim type in her. Only now did it get me thinking, why he never hurt Fanny? Do you think he was in love? No, or do you? Or was she just a cover to maybe push any suspisions away from himself?
Anna Maria 86
Currently Reading:

Post by Anna Maria 86 »

Ever_Reading wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:00
briellejee wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 23:51 As much as I agree with you that Matt seemed to be really suspicious at the start, I really thought it was Johnny. Matt being weirdly suspicious at the start made ME suspicious. Having read a lot of spy and detective novels, I just don't trust authors when they make a character suspicious because it misleads me. :D
I know right! When it seems a bit obvious who the culprit is, I usually assume the author is trying to trick me. :lol2:
Hahaha, yeah, but then again, the author might make him look suspicious, to make you think it's too obvious and mislead you, just to reveal it was actually him all along. Does that make sense?
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

Happened to me too. I hoped it wasn't Matt to prove myself wrong and that would add a little twist to the book for me.
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Matt practically screamed "killer!" To me.
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

It surprised me since it's my first time reading this kind of drama. I never suspected anyone from the team, I'm just shocked that Matt's story of barbwire turn out to be fingernails.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Nyambura Githui wrote: 05 Feb 2019, 01:13
Happened to me too. I hoped it wasn't Matt to prove myself wrong and that would add a little twist to the book for me.
Same! Gave him the benefit of the doubt because it was too obvious but then, it ended up being him.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I always assumed Matt much like most people here but I am so bad at this that I assume I am wrong and have missed some background character who is obviously the killer!
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

Yes, I knew that there is something about Matt. So I kind of predicted him.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”