The killer SPOILER

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Re: The killer SPOILER

Post by janinewesterweel »

briellejee wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 02:15
janinewesterweel wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 04:56 I have to admit that I had a real GASP moment when it turned out to be Matt! I'm usually very quick to identify the baddies, but in this case, I was completely shocked.
What made you think he wasn't the one? :D
Hmmm...I don't know, maybe I was lulled into a false sense of security with his shy, unassuming character :)
(but I should have remembered that "they say", most sociopaths are quiet and charming!)
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

janinewesterweel wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 05:52
briellejee wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 02:15
janinewesterweel wrote: 07 Feb 2019, 04:56 I have to admit that I had a real GASP moment when it turned out to be Matt! I'm usually very quick to identify the baddies, but in this case, I was completely shocked.
What made you think he wasn't the one? :D
Hmmm...I don't know, maybe I was lulled into a false sense of security with his shy, unassuming character :)
(but I should have remembered that "they say", most sociopaths are quiet and charming!)
Oh! That is an interesting perspective! I never thought about that. Well, he is pretty charming. :techie-studyingbrown:
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Al33na
Currently Reading: Randy Love...at your service
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al33na.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Al33na »

Weirdly enough I suspected Jacko, that would have been an unexpected twist, the poster boy becoming the villain.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Al33na wrote: 13 Feb 2019, 15:03 Weirdly enough I suspected Jacko, that would have been an unexpected twist, the poster boy becoming the villain.
Oh, that's a fresh take on Jacko. But come to think of it, his character being humorous could have been a ploy. :eusa-think:
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

Anna Maria 86 wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 07:55 This topic might result to be a spoiler, but I'm really curious about others' bets on that. I'm usually pretty good at predicting events, endings or guessing characters. I found Matt really suspicious from the very beginning. But then, when Johnny asked Hardcastle during the Christmas party if he thinks the killer is British, I was torn between the two: Matt and Johnny. Who did you think was the killer?
Matt was an eccentric character. A reader would definitely see Matt to be the killer.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

briellejee wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 23:51 As much as I agree with you that Matt seemed to be really suspicious at the start, I really thought it was Johnny. Matt being weirdly suspicious at the start made ME suspicious. Having read a lot of spy and detective novels, I just don't trust authors when they make a character suspicious because it misleads me. :D
LOL. Same here. One can't just trust authors when it comes to suspicion. You could either be right or wrong, only the end will tell.
But I've learned that, most times, the character that is least suspected or most trusted ends up being the culprit.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I don't generally read this genre so I'm afraid I was a bit gullible and suspected Matt from the beginning. I never expected it to actually be him tho, I just assumed I would be proven wrong!
Books are my self-medication. 8)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

I think it was too obvious from the beginning. The author could have made the reader more curious and go for a twist at the end
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3036
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I may have suspected Matt, but I was not sure till that was actually revealed in the story.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Joe Hadithi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joe-hadithi.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by Joe Hadithi »

Thought it was Matt too, but then I got the feeling that it's too obvious and maybe I was wrong
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

I guessed Matt from the start, but was still waiting to see if the author will spring any last minute twists about the identity of the killer.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

briellejee wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 23:51 As much as I agree with you that Matt seemed to be really suspicious at the start, I really thought it was Johnny. Matt being weirdly suspicious at the start made ME suspicious. Having read a lot of spy and detective novels, I just don't trust authors when they make a character suspicious because it misleads me. :D
HAHA! I am the same way! I read a lot of crime novels, and I am always looking for someone who is not suspicious at all. Are we jaded? :lol:
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

sarahmarlowe wrote: 23 Feb 2019, 18:20
HAHA! I am the same way! I read a lot of crime novels, and I am always looking for someone who is not suspicious at all. Are we jaded? :lol:
HAHA! I'm done with authors playing mind tricks on me especially in crime novels. I guess we're stuck with that "traumatic" experience :lol2: :techie-studyingbrown:
Melissa Breen
Currently Reading: World War Z
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-breen.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Melissa Breen »

I didn't consider Matt at all, i completely missed the signs! I knew there was a few things about him that didn't add up like why he would be discharged just from facial wounds but I definitely didn't think he was the killer.
abbiejoice
Currently Reading: Me Before You
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abbiejoice.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by abbiejoice »

I was a bit surprised it was Matt. Thinking about it though, it's a bit of a coincidence that his teammates all had names starting with the letter "J". Matt was certainly the odd man out!

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”