Unforgettable scene

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
IamShing
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Re: Unforgettable scene

Post by IamShing »

It is a unique way of telling a strory, in my opinion. Sometimes it is better to have multiple settings as to not boring the audience as long as it still sticks to the plot and do not stray in confusion.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'
00LynnMarie
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-00lynnmarie.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by 00LynnMarie »

I think the scenes that made me the most tense were the scenes that involve the murderer. I won't mention his name in case someone is reading this that hasn't gotten all the way through. In each instance, I kept hoping that the girl would get away. I did figure out who it was before the story confirmed it.
"There are times when the world is rearranging itself, and at times like that, the right words can change the world." - Orson Scott Card, Ender's Game
NicholsC97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nicholsc97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by NicholsC97 »

The scene where they stole the book had me biting my nails and holding my breath. That's the mark of a great spy or thriller book.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I loved the scene where Jamie was initiated into the Warramunga tribe. Even if there wasn't much action in it, learning about those traditional things was exciting for me. Also, I liked how he was nervous without knowing what's going to happen when in reality he only felt something akin to mosquito bite.
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

timd wrote: 04 Feb 2019, 06:49 I was tense right from the beginning of the book where Jamie was trapped by fire from an Italian machine gunner. The appearance of Jacko on the scene, despite the hostile fire, was relieving but also slightly comical because he was almost jovial and also called Jammie "Cap," short for Captain, although Jamie was a Lieutenant at the time. The settings for romance were tense but the ladies were often supposed to be hardened "ladies of the night," in the underground of Cairo, and belly dancers. Most of the scenes involving Jamie, in particular, were almost sweet because of his innate shyness with women. I think most of the scenes regarding romance were a bit timid. In reality, ladies working from the conditions that they were working from would probably be more sexually open and would probably tease him more than they did in the novel. Although I enjoyed the book, I got the impression that it was written for a younger audience because both the violence and the romance was remarkably timid or mild compared to a lot of books set in similar circumstances.
Yes, I agree that the entire tone was uniquely innocent, actually. Almost as if he was very aware of who would be reading his book! But I have to say that I found it quite refreshing not to have the usual cliched, almost obligatory sex scenes :) The humour throughout was what I really loved, with quite a few "laugh out loud" moments.
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

Jacko and Monique's romantic plot was the most memorable, endearing and really cute for me.
danita9172
Currently Reading: The Warramunga's War
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danita9172.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by danita9172 »

I found the part when the young village girl was tricked by the murderer tense. I was yelling at her to be careful. Listen to your gut! I was not surprised by what happened.
The spy scenes are tense too. The English books on the housebook was predictable.
I can't wait to finish the book.
Areej Tahir
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-areej-tahir.html
Latest Review: Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1) by Janet McNulty

Post by Areej Tahir »

briellejee wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 23:27 For me, I think I remember getting tensed and all worked-up whenever the spies were in motion. I held my breath whenever they spy because you'll never know what will happen to them on the other side and if they will make it back on their side. Such heart-pounding moments for me. The romantic twist did not impress me though since I am not keen on romance.
Oh my God exactly! that one kept me at the edge of my seat. However I did like the romantic twist.
Alison Alissa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alison-alissa.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by Alison Alissa »

I loved the scene where Jacko drove round in circles and how his trackers failed to find the right route to follow.This meant that having knowledge about camping is really an interesting phenomenon.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”