Women Characters as Spies

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
spencermack
Favorite Book: A Loaf Of Bread
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencermack.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Women Characters as Spies

Post by spencermack »

The Women characters lacked development. Which is disappointing because, during world war 2, women played pivotal roles in the success of the war. Whether spies, like this story, or working the factories and healing soldiers.

It would be great to have a story give female characters the development that women earned during the war.
BelleReadsNietzsche
Currently Reading: The Handmaid's Tale
Bookshelf Size: 300
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bellereadsnietzsche.html
Latest Review: I Can See Peace by Julie Penshorn
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by BelleReadsNietzsche »

CatlynnHighlights wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 20:57
BelleReadsNietzsche wrote: 03 Feb 2019, 17:18 This is a theme I notice more and more as I get older, and don't necessarily see improving in many of the newer books released. And my patience with it is a lot thinner than it used to be. Women as "strong" is great but it seems to be a substitute for women as people, especially among male authors. I agree with the comments made here about Yasmina, Fahmy, Fifi, and Yvette.

That being said, I wasn't necessarily expecting much since historical fiction war books written by men tend to be really terrible at this, and I enjoyed this book much more than I thought I would. But I think its a weakness in this book and in the genre, and I'm kind of sick of excusing it. (And I'm torn about that because many otherwise good books have that as a flaw, and I'm never sure how harsh its fair to be about it.)
I strongly agree! In novels like this, women seem to have to make a choice. They can be "strong" as you said, or "people," or what I like to call a "fairytale." Fairytales are basically the epitome of a fairytale princess: can't lift a finger, doesn't make important decisions, needs someone to save her, etc. It's such a rarity to find books where female characters don't have to make this choice because it's such a norm. I don't dock points anymore, although I used to. Instead, I add points to those books that have managed to avoid it.
Yes! So far, I’m finding I’m inconsistent in whether or not I dock points for this. If there are greater problems with the novel, I might not even reference it or use it as a major reason for a low score. If the woman is supposed to be a main character and the issues detract significantly from the story they’re trying to tell, I’ll probably dock it. I probably won’t give a novel 4 stars if I feel like it’s a serious issue with it. For The Warramunga’s War, had I written a review, I don’t think it would have influenced my score.

I feel like I am constantly wrestling with the question because I don’t want to get the reputation of an unkind reviewer who is always looking to make gender a thing, but it’s also harder for me to enjoy a book where some characters (who happen to look like me) don’t feel like people!

Anyway, hope the rambling wasn’t too over the top, and thanks for your comment! :)
"The bitter truth we critics must face is that, in the grand scheme of things, the average piece of junk is probably more meaningful than our criticism designating it so." -Ratatouille (2007)
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: Uplifting The Pain of Behavioral and Learning Styles Through Poetry Now
Bookshelf Size: 408
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: Unsettled Disruption by Juana Catalina Rodriguez
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

Generally, women are down regarded by many male authors throughout the history. Yet, this author has atleast included some female spies in his story, though they are depicted as with low capabilities, compared to men
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Most of them were portrayed as easy to be manipulated but the good thing is that they were aware of what they were doing. However, some like Sarah were different. Sarah seems to be self-driven and very smart as well.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Christinabooklover
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christinabooklover.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Christinabooklover »

Many historical fiction novels about wars follow the same path as Kater does on Warramungas war. The rebels get information from girls that have befriended the oppressor. Prostitutes had easy access to German in the war so it seems logical but also typical to depict them such as. The girls used both their mind and appearance to gain their trust but I would love to see stronger female characters in different roles on the book's sequel.
Ms_Bookworm
Currently Reading: Chrome Mountain
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ms-bookworm.html
Latest Review: The Cult Next Door by Elizabeth R. Burchard, Judith L. Carlone
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Ms_Bookworm »

I admit that I have not read this book and to be honest, the comments I've been reading aren't making me regret my decision. Going back to the main topic of this discussion, I will say that the job descriptions of the female characters (and the impression that they're written into the storyline merely to support the male characters) are giving me the opinion that they weren't well-formed and could use more character development. I also agree with several of the comments that this a common fault we see in books of this genre. Perhaps this particular brand of objectifying women stems from the era of the story-telling and if it was in a more modern setting, this wouldn't be so rampant? Either way, like other commenters, my patience for these displays of misogyny is running thin.
"I think there's just one kind of folks. Folks." - Scout Finch
decolo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by decolo »

am glad you brought this topic up, ok I agree with the women's bodies are powerful and there's nothing wrong with that. But they are not the only thing women got working for them whoever the lack of character development makes them seem useless .as I conclude I find this to be true I many of the war novels I have dealt with
ma_mon28
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ma-mon28.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by ma_mon28 »

KJohnston wrote: 12 Feb 2019, 01:29 I'm only about 1/4 the way through the book at the moment, and it seems like the women are doing all the hard parts of the job. They are the ones risking their lives and gathering the intel, while the men just kind of watch.

It also very much surprised me when that one girl was murdered, and the men in the book didn't seem very concerned about it. It appears as if the men view the women as tools and dispensable.
That scene makes me puzzled why? Women were vulnerable of such inhumane works of the criminals. Reading it through brings justice.
maritzaalston
Currently Reading: Defining Moments of a Free Man from a Black Stream
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maritzaalston.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by maritzaalston »

I have to disagree I did not get that from this story at all. I have to admit that the ladies character may have been a bit underdeveloped however throughout the entire time the ladies were told how valuable they were in acquiring the information that was needed to aid them. Precisely when one of the ladies was incarcerated, James and Jacko instantly demanded that she be instantly released. I believe that this scene specifically speaks to the integral role of the woman spy and how important she was to the M16 team.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html

Post by briellejee »

spencermack wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 21:02 The Women characters lacked development. Which is disappointing because, during world war 2, women played pivotal roles in the success of the war. Whether spies, like this story, or working the factories and healing soldiers.

It would be great to have a story give female characters the development that women earned during the war.
I do agree that they need character development. But I think the author also made that point that the women played those pivotal roles (spies) in the war. That it couldn't have been successful without them; although the story wasn't centered to that.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html

Post by briellejee »

maritzaalston wrote: 21 Feb 2019, 14:55 I have to disagree I did not get that from this story at all. I have to admit that the ladies character may have been a bit underdeveloped however throughout the entire time the ladies were told how valuable they were in acquiring the information that was needed to aid them. Precisely when one of the ladies was incarcerated, James and Jacko instantly demanded that she be instantly released. I believe that this scene specifically speaks to the integral role of the woman spy and how important she was to the M16 team.
Finally!! Someone who is also on the other side with me. Them being underdeveloped was a problem or a lack of on the author's writing style but not on the story's integrity. You could see how the author made these women just as imporatant as men in the war.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
saimi_v
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saimi-v.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by saimi_v »

I think that the woman characters in spies books are very attach to a male character. They don't make sense without be supported by a man. I believe is very problematic to the authors make a female character so strong that doesn't need anyone to lead the book trama, because the book wouldn't be a best-seller.
Sincerely, the books more sold are they which the romance between both main characters is important part of the plot, and the female character is weak at the beginning but always win at the end supported by a group or a man that is her "loving interest"
starshipsaga
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 2024
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-starshipsaga.html
Latest Review: Secrets of the Dead by Murray Bailey

Post by starshipsaga »

Some of my favorite stories about espionage feature women spies, both real and fictional. I have to agree with a lot of comments here that question of their role as brave/important assets versus being easily manipulated tools is largely dependent on how they are portrayed in a story. Sex and confidence can be used as a weapon, but without the accompanying character development, any character can be feel flat and disposable. In general I wasn't too impressed with the depth of characterization in this novel, though there were a few exceptions.
mamilla93
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mamilla93.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by mamilla93 »

Their physical characteristics were definitely a big part of their capability as spies, but, that is a part of their advantage and I believe that every possible asset can be used to be best at their job.
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3040
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Disappearance by Julien Ayotte

Post by Kibet Hillary »

The women characters definitely played big roles and risked their lives a lot gathering information. I am not of the opinion that they were not sufficiently developed but I do believe that some were just being used to gather information. Comparing the others with Sarah, Sarah was more of a co-worker who also took personal initiative unlike the rest.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”