Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Use this forum to discuss the February 2019 Book of the month, "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater

Post by Flowers123 »

I love warramunga's war. It's both entertaining and inspirational. I enjoyed its good character development. The seriousness of war combined with a touch of humour every now and then makes the series desirable. I'll like to recommend it to lovers of historical fiction everywhere.
flaming_quills
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

I liked this book a lot, it was very enjoyable. The language used was vibrant and the humour was on point. I would recommend it to everyone, because it's just that good.
Ana Megrelishvili
Favorite Book: Don Quixote
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ana-megrelishvili.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by Ana Megrelishvili »

The main thing I loved about this book is how sophisticated characters are. Moreover, I really enjoyed the dynamism of the story. The storyline is very logical and easy to follow. Humorous incidents, which we meet along story make reading fascinating.

The thing I found weird about this book was some misplaced conversations, which made the plot a little unrealistic.

I would suggest this book to anyone who enjoys reading about adventures, wars, and the criminal world.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

briellejee wrote: 01 Feb 2019, 02:12 I am such a fan of historical fiction, though some books need to work on their narrative to be able to capture a whole lot of audience; and this one was a perfect one. I really liked the humorous dialogues between Jack and James. At first, when I read the sample, I must say that I would've dropped it since I find it tedious to read through all the gun firing, but then when James met Jack, the atmosphere seemed to be a little lighter and the mood of the book was lifted. Overall though, the setting was interesting and superb. The facts about the military soldiers during and after the war were well-researched and a bit enjoyable to know and learn. The characters are the real hero here though, so it's a 4/4 for me. :tiphat: Would recommend to people who like to learn and read more about war and soldiers, especially ones who like a lot of action scenes in the book. However, I might also recommend it to everyone because the book is just excellent for any reader. It is an all-around book for adults! :techie-studyinggray:
My impression as well. I wonder why some people would complain when a book is about war. We learn a lot from past conflicts to avoid future conflicts. Better yet, if absolutely necessary fight or resolve them better.
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I really enjoy the Greg Kater books. They take you back to a less libertarian time, more standards, and more manners. Greg is a magician with dialogue, his use of British and Aussie slang and Pidgin English is wonderful. Everything in the story is finished off, even when it's not part of the mainstream.
yeancha
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yeancha.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins

Post by yeancha »

I haven't read the book but I think I'm going to enjoy reading it, well according to comments, it sounds interesting
Maya_Nyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maya-nyssa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Maya_Nyssa »

briellejee wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 23:28
Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Feb 2019, 12:15 I enjoyed reading Greg Kater's entire series and i loved the characters in the book and their individual talents that somehow woke together perfectly. There is nothing i truly disliked in this book. I rated the book 3 out of 4 stars.
Why give it a 3 stars though? Was it because of the somewhat draggy ending? :)
Good question! I'm curious as well, because most of the other responders gave it 4 stars. I have only read Skills of the Warramunga and rated it 3 stars, so I'm curious how this book compares.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

I think what I like best about this book is the pace of it. Many historical fiction pieces have difficulty in keeping a reader's attention, since there tends to be a rehashing of historical events. This book, however, does a good job in maintaining the pace while still informing readers.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
Choine
Currently Reading: Cinder
Bookshelf Size: 76
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-choine.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
Reading Device: 1400699894

Post by Choine »

I wasn't able to get a copy of this book, but I would have loved to read it. I find books on war intriguing. Wish I had been able to read it.
Mia09
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mia09.html
Latest Review: Heartaches by H.M. Irwing

Post by Mia09 »

I loved this book; and also I loved the other two from this series. I liked it because it was full of action right from the beginning. It was nice that the author chose to blend actual history with the story of the book; I am a fan of historical fiction books. What I liked least about it, was that I was able to tell from early on who the killer was. On the positive side, the author did an extraordinary job at creating his characters; I fell in love with both Jacko and Jamie and I couldn't wait to read the next two books.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I love historical fiction but not so much war stories. However, I read the book since it was book of the month. What I like most about this book is the humor and likeable characters. The depth of the characters intrique me. They are unique and well developed. The story was very well written and edited. As I mentioned I didn't enjoy the war aspect of the book. I would recommend this book to history and war fans. I think it is a solid 4 out of 4 stars for most readers.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
Shanna29
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shanna29.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher
Reading Device: B01DZJFWNC

Post by Shanna29 »

I haven't read this book yet. I read some wonderful reviews and I am quite intrigued to read this book. It's on my reading list and I am looking forward to reading this one as soon as possible.
Sekhmet September
Favorite Author: Tanith Lee
Currently Reading: Stranded In The Wild
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sekhmet-september.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing
fav_author_id: 10199

Post by Sekhmet September »

A lot of you really seem to be enjoying this one. Typically I don't gravitate toward war as a topic for anything I read (yes, I do still appreciate history as a subject). I don't think I'm likely to read it, but I can appreciate it. Thank you for filling me in! If I change my mind, this will be the first book I choose.
Faith is the confidence that what we hope for will actually happen; it gives us assurance about things we cannot see.
Hebrews 11 1 NIV
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

I like historical fiction, quite a lot. I find it interesting that there's a fictional story blending with real-life events well captured by the author. Doing this, and getting it right, sounds a little difficult to me. I loved the idea since the very first time I read the review, I could feel the enthusiasm while reading the reviewer's thoughts and the rating. I guess that what I like the most about this book is that blend between the real-life historical events and the fictional story.
Nisha Ward
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Garth Nix
Favorite Book: Binti Home
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 321
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nisha-ward.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer
Reading Device: B0794RHPZD
fav_author_id: 4351

Post by Nisha Ward »

I rated it at four, having thoroughly enjoyed it. The book reminded me a bit of a cross between James Bond and Indiana Jones without the artefact finding aspect of the second one. Jack and Jamie were hilarious together and it was overall very light and fun, even during the action sequences. I'm definitely going to read the others.
"...while a book has got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the reader it's got to be worthwhile from the point of view of the writer as well." - Terry Pratchett on The Last Continent and his writing.

Return to “Discuss "The Warramunga's War" by Greg Kater”