A lawyer's perspective

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
sush_destiny
2019 Reading Goal: 400
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 5
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Re: A lawyer's perspective

Post by sush_destiny »

A legal perspective definitely adds to the authenticity of Sylvie's claims. Although it is a medicine based book, a legal perspective with thorough research is refreshing.

IamShing
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 51
Favorite Book: Doctor Sleep
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-iamshing.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by IamShing »

Of course, legality is important.
'Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.'

flaming_quills
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Currently Reading: Americanah
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flaming-quills.html
Latest Review: Advent Of Silver by Atilla K. Zengin

Post by flaming_quills »

As a law major I get excited when I see anything to do with law in a book but I genuinely think Sylvie's perspective enhanced the book because nothing happens in a vaccum and there's all sorts of circumstances surrounding even the most trivial of things. So it was definitely good to see the legal angle of the discovery of an all-natural cure for cancer.

Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Democracy in America
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: The Burping Pumpkin by Steph Alexis

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I think the lawyer's perspective is a refreshing take on this subject. Often, books about pharmaceuticals are written by doctors or people in the industry. I'm aware that everyone has something to gain, but she may be less (or differently) biased because of her different perspective.

Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I think the legal aspect was needed. The perspective of a lawyer validated the research. Being a lawyer, she knew how to argue the case. A legal stance is needed to take on ”big pharma” and insurance companies. The average person would not know the exact course to take. Displaying the evidence from both sides added to the validity of the story.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird

Juliet+1
Favorite Book: The Elephants of Style
Currently Reading: A New American Evolution
Bookshelf Size: 290
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-1.html
Latest Review: Sons of the Red Dragon by Mardi Lynn Roselius

Post by Juliet+1 »

I think the legal perspective definitely enhanced the book. Any substance presented as a "cure" has to go through a long and expensive process, and the assumption is that the substance is artificial. Natural cures are left out of the process. This book surfaces a lot of those issues.

Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

The judicial system is always inextricably linked to historical events - the story is always told through the eyes of the victor and held in the hearts of those involved. Medicine seems to have two diverse factions eternally at war with each other in regards to which is better and safer. It's understandable that not every practice can be okayed as the effects may not be completely understood or accepted. Distributing any and every thing in the name of medicine would have disastrous effects on any group of people and thus the requirement for a set of standards is implemented. Both sides are gonna have differing opinions, so a legal presence to help mediate is necessary. Seeing it from the legal perspective is helpful in this case.

readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

I think it helps to bring in the legal perspective. Legalities are also important to know, for example, what are the laws around selling and distributing medicine and using it, and what are people's rights to know their effects.

I think in reality it is important to know all such things.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”