What did you think of Ken?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Re: What did you think of Ken?

Post by Stellae »

I don't think Ken was portrayed fairly in the novel, because of the little we actually see of him, Sylvie's perspective can be seen as definitely biased

Sharon2056
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharon2056.html
Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington

Post by Sharon2056 »

The story majorly talked on Sylvia and we have little knowledge on Ken. However, I don't think Ken was always emotionally unavailable because he supported Sylivia.

Brendan Donaghy
Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 20
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 175
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Cuban Son Rising by Charles Gomez

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Stellae wrote:
13 Mar 2019, 20:13
I don't think Ken was portrayed fairly in the novel, because of the little we actually see of him, Sylvie's perspective can be seen as definitely biased
I agree. Ken is given something of an unflattering cameo role in the book. I don't think this was entirely necessary. I accept that the author probably wanted to give readers a sense of her own personal story, but I think she could have done this in a way which was a bit more respectful of her ex's privacy.

Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

The thing is, with the theme of the book centered on her father's research and her blunt resolve to share the prospect of his works in good light, very little was said of Ken and in my opinion her decision to pick divorce was not supposed to be a necessary inclusion in the book. Very litle was said about the relationship and in the parts that it was, Ken was supportive of her dreams so for me, it was unneccesary to add that he was emotionally unavailable when he wasn't portrayed as such almost throughout the book

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”