Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
AndrewZachariah
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrewzachariah.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Post by AndrewZachariah »

Heaving finished this book, and glanced through some of the other topics and replies in other forums, I have noticed a debate beginning as to whether or not the story of Sylvie's family was just a bunch of conspiracy theories. Given your impression of the book and/or other experiences you've had, do you think the story of the author's struggle is true? Do you feel the Big Pharma is a reality? How do you think pharmaceutical companies and government are affecting the healthcare systems with regard to access of information, treatment, and use of holistic methods?

I firmly believe there is some significant grains of truth to the story the author was telling of what her family experienced. Pharmaceutical corporations run medicine, especially in western countries. As an example of another natural remedy that faced a similar experience to the herbs mentioned in the book, one might look into Ibogaine. This herb is an incredibly powerful anti-depressant, and an extremely successful treatment for fibromyalgia, chronic pain, and assisting with detoxification from extreme addiction. It too has been studied and tested; however in the United States, this is considered a class I federal substance, the same classification THC marijuana continues to have on a federal level.

Similarly, I find that insurance companies, particularly state health insurance, is often willing to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for highly addictive, dangerous substances to treat pain and chronic pain disorders. These same companies are entirely unwilling to pay for massage therapy, which may be just as successful and significantly less dangerous. They may pay for physical therapy, but only up to twelve sessions a year. Forget about acupuncture, that won't be covered in the slightest.

I certainly think there is some truth to collusion between Big Pharma, health insurance companies, and legislature, especially in the United States. What do you think?
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think the Big Pharma is true enough. I heard one story from a medical researcher that one doctor actually found a way to treat cancer without having too much chemo, and the results were wonderful. However, they (big companies) shut him up by threats and, of course, bribe. His method were gaining attention because patients have claimed they were better. They were cheaper too. It was just about changing lifestyles and all. I dont know about it in the long run whether it will come back, but at least it has given his patients hope. It sounded true enough but we still need to find papers and all for this to be real and not jsut a conspiracy.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
melissah30
Currently Reading: Winning the War on Cancer
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissah30.html
Latest Review: Hello, My Love by Evy Journey
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by melissah30 »

I definitely don't trust "Big Pharma", but at the same time, I do think modern medicine is very helpful. The problem is corporate greed. I can definitely believe some of the more conspiracy theory sides to this book. I personally believe the whole US government is a scam. If they can keep us sick, poor, and stupid, they can keep people from uprising or whatever it is they're afraid we'll do.
"Go then, there are other worlds than these." -Stephen King, The Gunslinger
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Big pharma is a business. They are in it to make money. Period. They aren't a charity. Therefore, yes, there is a conspiracy to get you to use their drugs and not go natural.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Having read about pharmaceutical companies and their conspiracies, I think it is easier for them to keep producing drugs rather than the cure. Since they get to keep making lots of money every year. I think pharmaceutical companies would rather produce drugs to manage sicknesses rather than produce medicine to get rid of them permanently.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

I definitely see big pharma as a greedy, unethical symbol of capitalism, and it is refreshing to see a critique being given such attention.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Big pharma represents all the big pharmaceuticals companies out there whose real intention is not to help, but to make money and more and more of it. Consequently there go out of their way and break laws and rules to achieve that. So any start-up that's attempt s to introduce stuffs that does threatens their profits, even if the remedies being offered is actually a revolutionary one, would definitely be thwarted. And most times they have cronies in the government that help them achieve their aims.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

I have to agree with several of the reviewers. Big Pharma is in business to make money, the more the better. Therefore, it is no great leap to see that longterm treatment is more profitable than a cure. It has happened before that someone has come up with a more gentle approach that showed great promise and then that idea just disappeared
NotJose
Currently Reading: The Da Vinci Code
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by NotJose »

I don't really think it's a conspiracy, but I do believe that some pharmaceutic companies just want money and sell us "placebos"
BeautySuzy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beautysuzy.html
Latest Review: Getting Used to Success by H.J. Shalev

Post by BeautySuzy »

NotJose wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 13:03 I don't really think it's a conspiracy, but I do believe that some pharmaceutic companies just want money and sell us "placebos"
I couldn't agree more.
Think outside of the books.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

I believe wholeheartedly that the author's experience is valid and true. Shortly after a cancer diagnosis, it was assumed I would choose chemotherapy, because, based on statistics....blah blah. My questions about side effects were discounted, as I was assured I would be happy to be alive and that my chances were x% more that I would live x more years if blah blah. It is all about money and numbers. The cancer machine has it all worked out so that the right parties make money and the patient spins the roulette wheel. Even asking the questions about side effects seemed disturbing and shocking to the oncologists I saw. They could not grock how a person would care more about quality than quantity of life. After much deliberation, I chose chemotherapy. It was by far the worst choice of my life. I have permanent, debilitating side affects from all of the drugs. I am fully supportive of this author's quest to educate the cancer consumer about the many hidden motives of doctors, manufacturers, and legislators.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
AndrewZachariah
Currently Reading: Timewise
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-andrewzachariah.html
Latest Review: The Warramunga's War by Greg Kater

Post by AndrewZachariah »

Thank you so much for such a personal reply! I am sorry that you are suffering to this day, and I hope that one day you will be able to find a successful treatment for the side effects you have now. I watched a very good short documentary on Netflix about death and dying. Specifically, this show was talking about terminal patients, or patients living with debilitating chronic illnesses who were living in a facility run by people who believed in profound Buddhism. They were treated as people rather than patients, and were given complete autonomy in their care options. One of the women followed was dealing with an aggressive form of cancer, and the documentary showed how the staff at the facility sat with her and gave her all the options from Western medicine, as well as all the other options they could find for treating cancer. To top it off, they then promised their full support of any decision she made, and I was blown away. I had never seen such unconditional love and support, especially in a medical field filled with expensive, debilitating treatments. Perhaps this is the start of a new set of approaches towards treating illness in western countries.
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

The system is 100% broken. I'm chronically ill and the things I have to do in order to keep my medication I need is ridiculous. There's definitely something strange going on with everything the medical industry does. Calling it the medical industry is one of them.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 13:44 I believe wholeheartedly that the author's experience is valid and true. Shortly after a cancer diagnosis, it was assumed I would choose chemotherapy, because, based on statistics....blah blah. My questions about side effects were discounted, as I was assured I would be happy to be alive and that my chances were x% more that I would live x more years if blah blah. It is all about money and numbers. The cancer machine has it all worked out so that the right parties make money and the patient spins the roulette wheel. Even asking the questions about side effects seemed disturbing and shocking to the oncologists I saw. They could not grock how a person would care more about quality than quantity of life. After much deliberation, I chose chemotherapy. It was by far the worst choice of my life. I have permanent, debilitating side affects from all of the drugs. I am fully supportive of this author's quest to educate the cancer consumer about the many hidden motives of doctors, manufacturers, and legislators.
I am sorry about the side effects. How are you now though? I am also aware that most, if not all, of these doctors and companies have a greed and blame it on the cancer rather than on chemo. My grandmother, a surgical nurse, had cancer and she told my mom not to put her on chemo because itswno use and she wants to die peacefully. No use in extending her life anymore if it would be attached to drugs. But she's old, so i guess she felt it's time to go. I dont know how it would be to young people who still want to see what life is in store for them.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

briellejee wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 21:28 I am sorry about the side effects. How are you now though? I am also aware that most, if not all, of these doctors and companies have a greed and blame it on the cancer rather than on chemo. My grandmother, a surgical nurse, had cancer and she told my mom not to put her on chemo because itswno use and she wants to die peacefully. No use in extending her life anymore if it would be attached to drugs. But she's old, so i guess she felt it's time to go. I dont know how it would be to young people who still want to see what life is in store for them.
My diagnosis was 10 years ago. I wouldn't call them side effects. They are permanent, life-altering effects. Yes, it is a more complicated decision for a young person. I would not choose it at any age and am glad people are beginning to write about their experiences with these practices.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”