Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
bluegreenmarina
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Drive Your Plow Over The Bones Of The Dead
Bookshelf Size: 1230
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluegreenmarina.html
Latest Review: Spontaneous Addiction Recovery by Dr. James Slobodzien

Re: Is Big Pharma a Conspiracy or Not?

Post by bluegreenmarina »

Having worked in the biopharm research industry I know how much money is involved in every aspect of drug development. It is a huge industry and it would be foolish to think that finances aren’t one of the most significant factors in determining how things are done. Fortunately at least some regulation is also in place to at least somewhat emphasize the importance of both safety AND efficacy in the medicines put out to the public.
Celticlady
Currently Reading: Josephine Baker's Last Dance
Bookshelf Size: 3435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-celticlady.html
Latest Review: Betrayal in Blue by Mark M. Bello
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by Celticlady »

I always think that big pharma is producing high priced medications and don't want to see cures because they would not make the money from insurance companies. Not sure how that can be stopped, I guess legislation is what is needed.
DC Brown
Currently Reading: Sold on a Monday
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dc-brown.html
Latest Review: The Byrds of Victory by James Robert Campbell

Post by DC Brown »

AndrewZachariah wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 01:34 Heaving finished this book, and glanced through some of the other topics and replies in other forums, I have noticed a debate beginning as to whether or not the story of Sylvie's family was just a bunch of conspiracy theories. Given your impression of the book and/or other experiences you've had, do you think the story of the author's struggle is true? Do you feel the Big Pharma is a reality? How do you think pharmaceutical companies and government are affecting the healthcare systems with regard to access of information, treatment, and use of holistic methods?

I firmly believe there is some significant grains of truth to the story the author was telling of what her family experienced. Pharmaceutical corporations run medicine, especially in western countries. As an example of another natural remedy that faced a similar experience to the herbs mentioned in the book, one might look into Ibogaine. This herb is an incredibly powerful anti-depressant, and an extremely successful treatment for fibromyalgia, chronic pain, and assisting with detoxification from extreme addiction. It too has been studied and tested; however in the United States, this is considered a class I federal substance, the same classification THC marijuana continues to have on a federal level.

Similarly, I find that insurance companies, particularly state health insurance, is often willing to shell out hundreds or thousands of dollars for highly addictive, dangerous substances to treat pain and chronic pain disorders. These same companies are entirely unwilling to pay for massage therapy, which may be just as successful and significantly less dangerous. They may pay for physical therapy, but only up to twelve sessions a year. Forget about acupuncture, that won't be covered in the slightest.

I certainly think there is some truth to collusion between Big Pharma, health insurance companies, and legislature, especially in the United States. What do you think?
I am really conflicted about her claim that she couldn't patent her extractions. Where I live medical marijuana is a patented pill that can only be obtained by prescription. How could they patent an extract and she couldn't?
Helen_Combe
Favorite Book: The Martian
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen-combe.html
Latest Review: And The Trees Began To Move by Lisa Gammon Olson
Reading Device: B00M4L4MFC

Post by Helen_Combe »

Coming from the UK where we have a national health service, the question of conspiracy isn’t so relevant, though big corporations do sometimes lock the NHSinto buying particular drugs because of the contract they have with them.
A thesaurus is necessary, essential, indispensable, vital, crucial and fundamental.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

Big pharma is a business. And like every business, their main goal is to make as much money as they can. Of course they will do anything to reach their goal. So yes, it is a conspiracy.
bigscarythingy
Currently Reading: Best Evidence
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigscarythingy.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by bigscarythingy »

Absolutely. The pharmaceutical companies feed the medical industry and vice versa. The poor old patient is just grist for the mill in that flawed paradigm. There is no interest in actually treating illness when you've got a giant corporation peddling chemical agents that numb your symptoms and make you a reliant automaton. I have some opinions on the issue; I might need a Xanax...
danielleamy
Favorite Book: The Handmaid's Tale
Currently Reading: OUT
Bookshelf Size: 114
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-danielleamy.html
Latest Review: Nocturnal by Tim W BYrd
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by danielleamy »

I lived in the USA for a short time, so I was able to see the difference in healthcare systems in comparison to where I live here, in the UK. It is interesting to compare the effects of Big Pharma. I feel as though it is not as prominent in the UK
All the reading she had done had given her a view of life that they had never seen - Matilda, Roald Dahl
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html
Latest Review: Ana by Gary Hope

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

lotus784 wrote: 16 Jan 2019, 22:57 I think most companies are in it just for the money. I think a lot of unethical things happen for precisely that reason. I think a lot of times natural remedies are sufficient for a lot of things, however I still think for others it's worth the risk.
Quite unfortunate! Because of greed of some individual, the populace are suffering and many loose their lives.
The-happy-reader-7
Currently Reading: Mirror Mirror
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-happy-reader-7.html
Latest Review: Masters and Bastards by Christopher J. Penington

Post by The-happy-reader-7 »

From a medical perspective, a patient's history and condition may not create an ideal situation for treatment using certain herbs, regimen or other medication. In fact these circumstances may worsen the prognosis for such patients. Side effects as well are a major deterrent of course, as well as their severity. Then there is the issue of concrete evidence and time consuming clinical trials. On the other hand it should carefully be weighed whether the benefits of using alternative medicine will outweigh the risks. There are pharmaceutical ways of treating patients effectively albeit at extremely expensive costs, but it must also be taken into consideration costs of formulating, undertaking clinical trials, patents, research and development are also necessary.Therefore there may not be financial motivation or incentive to use alternative medicine.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

I think that drug companies do have a great deal of control in the medical industry, but it's also true that many natural remedies are not approved for use because they have not gone through the same testing as lab-made drugs. I think the solution is to increase clinical trials and research with natural remedies.
Philip Chepsingil
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-philip-chepsingil.html

Post by Philip Chepsingil »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 11:15 I think that drug companies do have a great deal of control in the medical industry, but it's also true that many natural remedies are not approved for use because they have not gone through the same testing as lab-made drugs. I think the solution is to increase clinical trials and research with natural remedies.
I have heard of promising alternative medical researches that have been suppressed from different quotas
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Juliana_Isabella wrote: 26 Mar 2019, 11:15 I think that drug companies do have a great deal of control in the medical industry, but it's also true that many natural remedies are not approved for use because they have not gone through the same testing as lab-made drugs. I think the solution is to increase clinical trials and research with natural remedies.
I think the point Sylvie Beljanski makes in her book is that the clinical trials system is the way in which natural remedies are squeezed out. Producers of natural remedies tend not to have the money it takes to conduct these trials, unlike the big pharmaceutical corporations. Don't know if that constitutes a conspiracy as such, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility.
Juliana_Isabella
Currently Reading: Modern Death
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliana-isabella.html
Latest Review: Love, Grandma by Ann Morris

Post by Juliana_Isabella »

Brendan Donaghy wrote: 28 Mar 2019, 14:39
I think the point Sylvie Beljanski makes in her book is that the clinical trials system is the way in which natural remedies are squeezed out. Producers of natural remedies tend not to have the money it takes to conduct these trials, unlike the big pharmaceutical corporations. Don't know if that constitutes a conspiracy as such, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility.
That's a good point. Maybe the solution to the issue lies in finding more funding for research and clinical trials.
Brandy C
Currently Reading: A Discovery of Witches
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brandy-c.html
Latest Review: Cynthia and Dan by Dorothy May Mercer

Post by Brandy C »

I absolutely believe there is a link between ”big pharma”, insurance companies, and the government. There is no way it cost that much to make and market a drug. ”Big pharma” is definitely in it to make money! I feel like once when first trying to find a cure, the companies honestly tried to find drugs to help. However, these same companies became rich and greedy. My father suffered from seizures and later died of a brain tumor. His seizure meds alone were over $1500 a month here in the states! My uncle who lives on the border of Texas and Mexico could get the same meds, in Mexico, for around $100 monthly. I understand making money to continue research and marketing. I do not agree with charging such exorbitant prices and getting rich. The government should place stricter regulations on these companies and stop taking kickbacks.
”You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view..Until you climb inside of his skin and walk around in it” Harper Lee, To Kill A Mockingbird
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Of course, it is. It's all about the money. For example, people take statin drugs now because of one small, flawed study, but the pharmacy companies used it to scare the public into buying their drugs. The same thing happens with many other medical conditions.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”