Cancer Survivors

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: Cancer Survivors

Post by briellejee »

Ferdinand_otieno wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 09:31 I am not a cancer survivor, but my grandfather is. I would not assume Iunderstand his opinion on this book, but I believe that he would respect that people have a right to share their thoughts and feelings ...and ideas. He would not feel slighted.
Glad to hear he beat cancer! Did your grandfather have chemotherapy and not opted to some natural remedies while at it?
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Fuzaila wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 12:44 I had a family member and an uncle who lost their battle to cancer. Infact, one of them were so late in being diagnosed that there was little to be done in those last moments. Even then, he underwent chemotherapy and the result was him being so utterly fragile and weak. It broke my heart to see such a warm and energetic soul losing all hope. I wonder if the knowledge about these treatments would have done them any good.
Same sentiments. As proven by some, even in the last moments these natural remedies even in the last stages of cancer helped them bear the pain. I wish doctors will give it a chance to do more research and clinical trials on these natural remedies.
sarahmarlowe
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: One Second After
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 191
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sarahmarlowe.html
Latest Review: The best therapy by Jim LaPierre LCSW, CCS
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by sarahmarlowe »

Jdalba2018 wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 00:42 My father died as a result of badly treated cancer at the age of 68, in fact, I think he would be celebrating his 82nd birthday this wednesday if only he wouldn't have gone through quimotherapy and all the things they did to him.
I would definitely liked to have more information on alternative methods for treating cancer back then.
I know the question was for survivors but couldn't help expressing my point of view.

BRGDS
Thank you for posting your response! Cancer affects families and friends, not just the patients themselves. I'm so sorry your father passed from this terrible disease. Let's hope for better-informed treatments for future patients.
sarahmarlowe
You can spend your time however you want, but you can spend it only once. :eusa-think:
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1067
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fuzaila.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Fu Zaila »

kislany wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 02:09 I've read this book and reviewed it, and I think yeah, cancer survivors will get something out of it. People, don't forget, there are currently over 300 cancer treatments available today that do not rely on the cut, burn and poison that the Western medicine uses even today. For example, for breat cancer we have the iodine therapy. For lung stuff (and even pneumonia, and anything related to coughing, pulmonary issues, we have the orthomolecular medicine. We also have the Gerson therapy...so many things to try before giving up.
Woah! I had no idea that there were so many alternative methods to treat cancer. Iodine therapy for Breast cancer sounds familiar though. I'm wondering why more and more people do not utilise these methods.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Samy Lax
Currently Reading: 100 Ways to Motivate Yourself
Bookshelf Size: 156
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samy-lax.html
Latest Review: Chats with God in Underwear by Eduardo Chapunoff

Post by Samy Lax »

I lost a very good friend last year to cancer. Yes, I do regret that I didn't get the book a year back - I would have loved to share this with him then.
“...in principle and reality, libraries are life-enhancing palaces of wonder.”
― Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Samy Lax wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 23:01 I lost a very good friend last year to cancer. Yes, I do regret that I didn't get the book a year back - I would have loved to share this with him then.
That's disheartening to hear Samy. I still can't believe how many lives we could have saved only if people were more aware about alternative method for treatment. Your friend didn't deserve to die and neither did many others.
"Create your own identity. Let it be unique for yourself yet identifiable for others." :tiphat:
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Personally, i think if anyone beats cancer, it shows bravery and determination to live. But it would be nice to seek other alternatives preferably natural sources to suppress and reduce the chance of getting it back.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

As others have mentioned, there are scores of treatments for healing cancer, as alternatives to disfiguring surgeries and toxic drugs. I certainly understand that many who have chosen the traditional route are grateful to have survived the disease. As for me, I reluctantly chose the traditional treatments, including chemotherapy. It is poison. It permanently destroyed numerous physical and cognitive systems, and my life is forever altered. There is an enormous group of people who have experienced what the author reveals in this book. Treatments for cancer present a very personal set of decisions, and I understand how daunting the choices are when mortality is on the table. I wouldn't fault anyone for their personal decisions. I would not, under any circumstances, choose traditional treatments again.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
Fu Zaila
Currently Reading:

Post by Fu Zaila »

Eva Darrington wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 14:00 As others have mentioned, there are scores of treatments for healing cancer, as alternatives to disfiguring surgeries and toxic drugs. I certainly understand that many who have chosen the traditional route are grateful to have survived the disease. As for me, I reluctantly chose the traditional treatments, including chemotherapy. It is poison. It permanently destroyed numerous physical and cognitive systems, and my life is forever altered. There is an enormous group of people who have experienced what the author reveals in this book. Treatments for cancer present a very personal set of decisions, and I understand how daunting the choices are when mortality is on the table. I wouldn't fault anyone for their personal decisions. I would not, under any circumstances, choose traditional treatments again.
I'm so sorry for what you had to go through Eva! It's really brave of you to share your experience with traditional treatments. Personally, I didn't really open up to the idea of blindly following alternatives just becausse they are natural, but you have convinced me that traditional methods are no better.
Bookreviewer19_ke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviewer19-ke.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Bookreviewer19_ke »

On the contrary, i dont feel that way. For me this information has come to me at the appropriate time.
esthersamone
Favorite Book: Small Change
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-esthersamone.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by esthersamone »

Not a cancer survivor but have witnessed close people succumb to it. It can be painful to a survivor to learn that there is a method he/she could have used to lessen or completely cure the condition.
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Willy_wanker wrote: 03 Jan 2019, 08:10 Personally, i think if anyone beats cancer, it shows bravery and determination to live. But it would be nice to seek other alternatives preferably natural sources to suppress and reduce the chance of getting it back.
Agreed. A lot of people who have survived cancer are still afraid because you'll never know when it will come back. These natural remedies could really help in maintaining a clean streak.
Anthony__
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 459
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anthony.html
Latest Review: Its Saddest Sound by Pirjo Marjut Vega-Brandt

Post by Anthony__ »

This book would help researchers and cancers survivors, a lot. How I wish I knew about it earlier before loving a loved one to cancer
briellejee

Post by briellejee »

Anthony__ wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 06:04 This book would help researchers and cancers survivors, a lot. How I wish I knew about it earlier before loving a loved one to cancer
Same, we'll never know what could have been the result but it was worth a try.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

Immunotherapy is getting quite a lot of attention and has proven to work very well against some types of cancer.
The bottom line is that it's a gamble. I lost my father to lung cancer when I was 21 and he 48. It's just far too young to die and yes, it would have been wonderful to try everything possible at the time.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”