Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Raja28
Currently Reading: R.I.P
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raja28.html
Latest Review: The Excoms by Brett Battles

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by Raja28 »

When someone is diagnosed with cancer their entire world comes crashing down and they are desperate to try any and all treatments available. Hence, the conventional medicines are sought after in spite of known issues with them. Alternative treatments are still looked at somewhat suspiciously. But, given that these natural medicines at least do not harm the patients, these are getting gradually more and more accepted. They still have a long way to go, though...
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

Emily Guerra wrote: 02 Apr 2019, 00:12 I'm sorry about your mom's diagnosis. I really hope she's doing better and that your family stays strong during this trial.

Back in 2015, my dad was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma and it truly hurts to see the process of chemotherapy. Not just the physical change but the emotional side of the patient and all the painful process they have to go through. After two lines of chemotherapy and with enough damage to my dad's body, he opted for an experimental treatment in the U.S. which was a biological procedure involving antibodies. While in that treatment, there was an improvement. Healing started to take place. During that time, we also changed our diet to something cleaner and organic to keep dangerous chemicals from going into his body.

We took any piece of advice we could. Whether it was a combination of herbs and roots to help with cancer like ginger and cinnamon tea, or a green smoothie to revitalize his body. We tried every single thing we were told could help with cancer. After some time, we no longer got news, no improvements. His body was reacting, and the treatment was no longer effective on him. So we had to change to another med, a more powerful chemo-type of medication with a lot of secondary effects. My dad battled for 3 years until one day his body could no longer take it and he passed away on December 28th, 2018 after two weeks in a coma.

Alternative medicine can help a lot. I just feel it's not possible to take a side on which one is more effective. All bodies are different and cancer attacks in different ways. Even if two patients are diagnosed with the same cancer type, the symptoms are not going to be the same. Chemotherapy might be the cure for one of them and natural medicine and a good diet for the second patient.
Like you say, there's no 'one size fits all' kind of treatment that will work for every individual or all kinds of cancer. Thanks for sharing that with us, and sorry for your loss.
Ghost11111
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ghost11111.html
Latest Review: Sundown by Carl H. Mitchell

Post by Ghost11111 »

I'm sorry to hear about your mother. As to your question, the alternative treatments should be a companion for traditional treatment and not just a full on replacement. There is still a lot of research that needs to be done to truly find a cure. In the meantime, it doesn't hurt to use everything at your disposal to try and get better.
lwahls2
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lwahls2.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by lwahls2 »

I'm so sorry to hear about your mother. I do think there's something to be said for alternative medicine. People are so quick to take pills/chemical treatments for every little thing. While I don't think the pharmaceutical industry is 100% a big scam, I do think we need to be cautious and really understand what we are putting in our bodies. It's refreshing to know that there are still researchers out there like the Beljanskis searching for natural cures.
Laura Martin

“Because when you are imagining, you might as well imagine something worthwhile.”
― Lucy Maud Montgomery, Anne of Green Gables
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

I am sorry to hear about your mother, I hope she is better now. For me, the alternative products really help much upon improving one's health. I have tried it before, it works really well.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

You can weigh out the pros and cons of each method as you see fit. It's undeniable, however, that the procedures used in traditional medicine, chemotherapy namely, are very taxing on the human mind and body, not to mention expensive, and the success rate isn't always guaranteed. I wouldn't recommend denouncing one method in favour of another, but rather maintaining a balance between the two, as both come with their own advantages and are not necessarily a choose-one-leave-one deal.
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

Felicity Granger wrote: 10 Jul 2019, 22:05 You can weigh out the pros and cons of each method as you see fit. It's undeniable, however, that the procedures used in traditional medicine, chemotherapy namely, are very taxing on the human mind and body, not to mention expensive, and the success rate isn't always guaranteed. I wouldn't recommend denouncing one method in favour of another, but rather maintaining a balance between the two, as both come with their own advantages and are not necessarily a choose-one-leave-one deal.
Well said! The idea of giving up traditional medicine might sound appealing, but would you really do that when an educated professional is standing in front of you and telling you what to do? Not many people are willing to take that chance unless that are 100% positive.
Bhaskins
Currently Reading: The Biography of Her
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bhaskins.html
Latest Review: Guardian of Deceit by William H. Coles

Post by Bhaskins »

I love that they are doing this research. It’s so important to find different methods because not everyone is the same. Some people and cancers will respond differently. I also think a lot about what values people have. My aunt has breast cancer and is really liking her alternative treatments.
"I do believe something very magical can happen when you read a good book." -J.K. Rowling
oluchiokere84
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-oluchiokere84.html
Latest Review: A Portrait of Mommy by JL Coston

Post by oluchiokere84 »

The truth for me is that we still lose many people after the treatment with chemotherapy. I really wish that a true cure will be gotten soon for cancer.
larue6358
Currently Reading: Out From Edom
Bookshelf Size: 925
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-larue6358.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by larue6358 »

I can see both sides of this. I did my lab scientist clinicals in a clinical trials laboratory, so I understand where the high price of medication comes from - for every drug that makes it to market, thousands fail along the way. The ones that make it have to finance the research of the ones that failed. With medicine being a "business" this is what happens, costs to the consumer skyrocket because nothing is subsidizing the research to offset them. I've seen where purveyors of natural medicine can be charlatans too, pushing their product which does nothing, look at the infamous Laetrile/Amygdalin. And yes, you can make money off natural medicine, a lot of drugs we have were created/synthesized from plants, like digitalis, aspirin, and penicillin.

When it comes to cancer, in my experience, traditional medicine is your best bet to eradicate, halt tumor growth, etc. Natural medicine is very helpful as a palliative to ease side effects from both the illness and the treatment.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

Consider one method then consider another. Both have their respective benefits and drawbacks. Don't be too quick to overlook one simply because the other is more accepted in whatever region, timeframe or mindset you're in. They aren't exclusive of each other. Both have proven that, to some extent, they work. Try incorporating the two and see what comes of it.
EvaDar
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evadar.html
Latest Review: Do Not Wish For A Pet Ostrich! by Sarina Siebenaler

Post by EvaDar »

larue6358 wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 09:51 When it comes to cancer, in my experience, traditional medicine is your best bet to eradicate, halt tumor growth, etc. Natural medicine is very helpful as a palliative to ease side effects from both the illness and the treatment.
Traditional medicine is definitely your best bet for eradicating cancer, in the same way that a lobotomy is the best way to eradicate depression. Respectfully, chemotherapy should be illegal, and one day it will be looked upon as being about as successful as bloodletting or the Vietnam War. Many who survive the treatment, while required to adopt the compulsory gratitude for being alive, are suffering serious long-term health consequences from "traditional medicine." I greatly appreciate the effort this author has put forth to offer a less barbaric approach.
sit in the ocean. it is one of the best medicines on the planet. – the water
-Nayyirah Waheed
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

Fuzaila wrote: 02 Jan 2019, 11:11 I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. Hopefully she'll recover soon.

I don't understand the harm in using natural remedies against cancer. Chemotherapies work, but they do make the patient very weak and fragile. And besides, they also do not work all the time. Since Beljanski's research has proven that natural remedies can be effective against these diagnoses, I think one should definitely give them a try.
I agree with you, and I think at the very least natural methods do not harm

They can even be taken together with other methods
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

EvaDar wrote: 05 Nov 2019, 01:05
larue6358 wrote: 26 Aug 2019, 09:51 When it comes to cancer, in my experience, traditional medicine is your best bet to eradicate, halt tumour growth, etc. Natural medicine is very helpful as a palliative to ease side effects from both the illness and the treatment.
Traditional medicine is definitely your best bet for eradicating cancer, in the same way that a lobotomy is the best way to eradicate depression. Respectfully, chemotherapy should be illegal, and one day it will be looked upon as being about as successful as bloodletting or the Vietnam War. Many who survive the treatment, while required to adopt the compulsory gratitude for being alive, are suffering serious long-term health consequences from "traditional medicine." I greatly appreciate the effort this author has put forth to offer a less barbaric approach.
I do agree and I don't know why so many 'alternative methods' are written off as not working before they are even tried.

In the past, there were no methods except these 'alternative' ones. There was actually no alternative so people were cured and survived using such methods.

I mean, if there is a real need to use any method and there are a benefit and no harm then they can be used

At least natural methods do not harm or create other problems
tjportugal
Favorite Book: Lord of the Rings
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tjportugal.html
Latest Review: Mister Sleepy by Jane Alice

Post by tjportugal »

I wrote my final year dissertation on Leukemia. I studied both conventional and alternative medicine. I concluded that:

alternative medicine does not treat the root of the disease but rather tackles the symptoms;
dealing with the symptoms and the side effects of chemotherapy may have a huge impact on how patients deal with the therapy;
having an impact on the patient's psychology, alternative medicine may actually have a huge impact on the outcome of the therapy;
To read or not to read? That's not even a question!

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”