Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
Jessacardinal
Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Re: Effectiveness of alternative medicines against cancer

Post by Jessacardinal »

I also agree with kandscreeley. Given my family history of cancer mixed with my own struggles with thyroid disease, I am very seriously considering alternative medicine as both treatment and prevention. Both of my parents, as well as extended family members, have suffered through cancer. My heart goes out to both you and your mother.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

I recently read a book called Damn the Diagnosis: How I Survived Cancer by Joel Nathan. In the book, the author skipped some recommendations by doctors and at the same time tried all manner of treatments (including alternative) till he pulled through after finding a solution that worked for him.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

Ultimately, I believe that since cancer is such a broad disease (different kinds, affecting different areas, or even arising from various mutations) it's hard to state with certainty whether or not one particular type of medicine is better than the other. Something that has no effect on one person may greatly improve the condition of another.

Hence, whilst we should be open to new and unconventional forms of medicine, we do need to ask ourselves if the risks involved are worth the potential benefits.
Joytoo97
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joytoo97.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End by Matthew Tysz

Post by Joytoo97 »

First, am sorry about your mom. I think more research needs to be done on these natural cures of cancer. I have seen it work in other diseases so it's promising.
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

I think that, in addition to traditional medicine, alternative methods may aid in comfort and recovery, but they are no substitute for practiced, medical procedures.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I don't have any known illnesses, however I have a strong interest in Dr. Sebi's work. I think it is something that many persons can look into.
sush_destiny
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sush-destiny.html
Latest Review: Island Games by Caleb J. Boyer

Post by sush_destiny »

I have no problem with alternative cancer treatments provided that they legitimately help to cure the cancer .
Maggie_brown_0013
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-maggie-brown-0013.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Maggie_brown_0013 »

KRay93 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 12:24 Recently, my mother was diagnosed with a type of cancer known as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and during the last month, she has received several doses of chemotherapy. Being a person who is usually in motion, whether doing housework or other activities, it is shocking to see her so listless and weak as a result of such treatment. However, none of us are very open to considering a type of non-conventional treatment, apart from the fact that she can still enjoy several more years of life if this whole process proves successful.

In this book, the daughter of Dr. Mirko Beljanski exposes the journey of several decades of his father in search of alternative treatments for cancer (which includes new perspectives around genes, mutations, the relationship between emotional and environmental toxins and the destabilization of DNA, the effects of certain substances on hormone-dependent cancers, and the significance of cancer stem cells among others), even having worked to extend the life of French President Francois Mitterand beyond what his doctors expected.

At the same time, both Beljanski and his wife were found guilty of illegal practice of pharmacy, regardless of some irregularities in the judicial process and the relentless persecution against them by corporations and the government. Considering the research exposed in Beljanski daughter’s book and contrasting it with the almost unanimous acceptance of conventional treatments in the scientific community, do you believe that the alternative options depicted in Winning the War on Cancer could be more effective than the traditional ones? Do you know someone who has opted for this kind of treatment? How was their experience?
While I do believe that alternative methods of cancer treatment could prove to be successful, there is little research to support them. I do think that there is benefit in exploring them, but if you know chemotherapy and radiation will work in curing your cancer, then I would most likely pursue them. The thing with cancer is that it affects each individual differently. While chemo may work for one person, alternative methods may work for another.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Christina O Phillips »

NuelUkah wrote: 19 Feb 2019, 07:04
KRay93 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 12:24 Recently, my mother was diagnosed with a type of cancer known as non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, and during the last month, she has received several doses of chemotherapy. Being a person who is usually in motion, whether doing housework or other activities, it is shocking to see her so listless and weak as a result of such treatment. However, none of us are very open to considering a type of non-conventional treatment, apart from the fact that she can still enjoy several more years of life if this whole process proves successful.

In this book, the daughter of Dr. Mirko Beljanski exposes the journey of several decades of his father in search of alternative treatments for cancer (which includes new perspectives around genes, mutations, the relationship between emotional and environmental toxins and the destabilization of DNA, the effects of certain substances on hormone-dependent cancers, and the significance of cancer stem cells among others), even having worked to extend the life of French President Francois Mitterand beyond what his doctors expected.

At the same time, both Beljanski and his wife were found guilty of illegal practice of pharmacy, regardless of some irregularities in the judicial process and the relentless persecution against them by corporations and the government. Considering the research exposed in Beljanski daughter’s book and contrasting it with the almost unanimous acceptance of conventional treatments in the scientific community, do you believe that the alternative options depicted in Winning the War on Cancer could be more effective than the traditional ones? Do you know someone who has opted for this kind of treatment? How was their experience?
My dear friend was diagnosed with stage four uterine cancer. Currently, she is NED (no evidence of disease). She opted for a combination of alternative medicine and chemotherapy and it seems to be working for her.
Verna Coy
Currently Reading: The Magician's Secret
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verna-coy.html
Latest Review: The Fate of AI Society by Kenneth Hamer-Hodges

Post by Verna Coy »

I'm so sorry you are going through this. I believe that we should fight with everything viable option that will work for the patient and family. I don't think addictive drugs should be used but, there are so many cancer-fighting natural alternatives. If they work, it can only help!
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

There was a friend in the last stages of cancer who made use of alternative therapy. It seems though that it was too late. I believe alternative therapy can do some good if administered early enough.
mariana90
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mariana90.html
Latest Review: Zonas de quema by Jorge P. Newbery
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by mariana90 »

I feel for you. My Mom has just completed four bouts of chemo plus a huge surgery to remove most of her stomach and her esophagus. Seeing her come out of that surgery with a respiratory tube and full of cables and drains attached to her body was such a shock.

It really makes you wonder if this butchery is truly the way to go. But it can be dangerous trying the holistic path, because there are plenty of snake oil merchants out there who don't mind killing you to take your money.

These types of books helps by informing people and opening perspectives. Some of these remedies can actually be helpful, but I don't know if I would completely discard the traditional path in their favor.
Galesphere
Currently Reading: the moonstone
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-galesphere.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Galesphere »

There's no question that chemotherapy has helped so many people in beating cancer, but, as I've experienced with several loved ones, chemo takes a toll on the body. I would be thrilled to see more natural remedies treat cancer, but natural remedies, in general, take a longer time to "work." It's really hard to decide which is best.
"The main object of religion is not to get a man into heaven, but to get heaven into him."
-Thomas Hardy
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

Follow the money. It's as true in medicine as any other situation.
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emily Guerra »

I'm sorry about your mom's diagnosis. I really hope she's doing better and that your family stays strong during this trial.

Back in 2015, my dad was diagnosed with Hodgkin Lymphoma and it truly hurts to see the process of chemotherapy. Not just the physical change but the emotional side of the patient and all the painful process they have to go through. After two lines of chemotherapy and with enough damage to my dad's body, he opted for an experimental treatment in the U.S. which was a biological procedure involving antibodies. While in that treatment, there was an improvement. Healing started to take place. During that time, we also changed our diet to something cleaner and organic to keep dangerous chemicals from going into his body.

We took any piece of advice we could. Whether it was a combination of herbs and roots to help with cancer like ginger and cinnamon tea, or a green smoothie to revitalize his body. We tried every single thing we were told could help with cancer. After some time, we no longer got news, no improvements. His body was reacting, and the treatment was no longer effective on him. So we had to change to another med, a more powerful chemo-type of medication with a lot of secondary effects. My dad battled for 3 years until one day his body could no longer take it and he passed away on December 28th, 2018 after two weeks in a coma.

Alternative medicine can help a lot. I just feel it's not possible to take a side on which one is more effective. All bodies are different and cancer attacks in different ways. Even if two patients are diagnosed with the same cancer type, the symptoms are not going to be the same. Chemotherapy might be the cure for one of them and natural medicine and a good diet for the second patient.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”