Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
yisellesuarez
Currently Reading: Gringo
Bookshelf Size: 18

Re: Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Post by yisellesuarez »

I'm glad that there is a discussion about the book's scientific research and methodology.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I think that the research of others as well as her father's would have made the book more complete. Many of the things that she mentioned as remedies do have scientific merit, but I would have liked to see more scientific articles from other confirming this. I think that for some, her opinions can seem to be a little far-fetched, but if you do some research you will find that many of them are true.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
kdstrack
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Savior
Bookshelf Size: 530
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by kdstrack »

I think the author has formed her opinion based on her father's research. It's hard to continue doubting when you see the results right before your eyes. She saw the continual stream of patients her father helped. It is true that this treatment may not be for everyone. At the same time, it is difficult to claim that it is ineffective when there are so many evidences that it works.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

In my opinion, most of the working research on cancer is based on personal research, since multinationals concentrate mainly on managing the condition. Given that, I think the research, even though it is mainly based on the author's father's work, is still relevant and credible.
Braunsucre
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-braunsucre.html
Latest Review: The Traveler's Best Seller by Rick Incorvia

Post by Braunsucre »

I think it is more than an opinion. The ideas preferred sound useful.
JnadineG
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jnadineg.html
Latest Review: Two Months and Three Days by Tatiana Vedenska

Post by JnadineG »

It appears it is more of her opinion on the research? I understand that she has some knowledge based on her father's career, but I do not think that gives her the "expert" title in order to deem this 100% credible.
Nyambura Githui
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nyambura-githui.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Nyambura Githui »

I think it's more of opinion than actual result. Research was done by her father and continued after he died. The research found should be tested though to prove it.
imjaneturner
Favorite Book: Elastic Girl
Currently Reading: McDowell
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imjaneturner.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by imjaneturner »

kandscreeley wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 17:43
Helen_Combe wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 17:31
edith38 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 10:22 The author has a degree in law not in any form of medicine, research or health. However, she bases her claims on her father's work who was a molecular biologist and she is speaking in the name of a company that aim is to "brings together science and nature to create high quality, innovative health and beauty products". Do you feel that the book is based on a sufficient level of research to back its claims?
Well, my dad was a Royal Marine, but that doesn’t make me a military expert. I take a rather dim view on this kind of book. Coming from a country which has a national health service which would welcome less expensive cancer care, I’m not so open to the conspiracy theory angles.
The survival rates for breast cancer have improved considerably over the last few years, entirely down to mainstream research. I have had cancer treatment myself and had no end of people prescribing mushrooms, honey and positive thinking to me. I would just roll my eyes and go for my next chemo session.
And my hair came back curly.
RESULT!
Well, the author brings in experts from the medical field because she knows she's not an expert. Plus, she also did tons of research to continue in her father's footsteps.

Secondly, she and her father are also recommending that these treatments be used with chemo. There is even one of their products that helps with some of the side effects.
I will admit that my inherent bias is with Helen_Combe, and this book didn't do anything to change my opinion. It sounds to me like the author is trying to convince her audience to buy something...
Al Chakauya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-al-chakauya.html
Latest Review: Beneath the Muscle by Lauren Powers

Post by Al Chakauya »

She used her father's research and they call it meta-analysis research and it's taken to be valid as long as the research follows all scientific protocol of research findings. So for me it's a valid book because the author emphasises on the need for chemotherapy on top of the natural remedies.
Kufredavid20
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Kufredavid20 »

In my opinion, she is just restating her father's claim; so it is opinion based
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

The author writes this read backed with her father's research, therefore I dot think of it as an opinion as a sciencitific approach has been taken to prove it.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Bronie
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bronie.html
Latest Review: The Life and Lessons of a Young Author by Sunayna Prasad

Post by Bronie »

After all the opinions, I'd like to read the book. With any novel, there needs to be research done on the subject matter.
Rayasaurus
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rayasaurus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Rayasaurus »

While it would probably be better if she herself had a degree relating to the research, the book overall seems to be supported by experts she has sought out.
Kyoks
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kyoks.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Kyoks »

I think it is based on research because I believe that opinions also turn out to be scientifically approved. Besides the book shows that the whole procedure has scientific claims to prove it right.
lotus784
Currently Reading: The Replacement
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lotus784.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by lotus784 »

I think the book contains both. It's research and the opinions of it.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”