Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Re: Is this book an opinion or result of a research?

Post by randompersonavility »

Not only research, but also good results solidify the book's claims.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

I haven't read The War on Cancer myself, but based on the research I've done on it, it's definitely based on opinion. The fact that the Supreme Court has banned medical practitioners from revealing the author's father's research to patients says as much. There might be some valuable ideas, maybe even irrevocable proof on a couple of things, but it sounds as though most of it is buried under the weight of the author's own personal bias. The fact the author says the content is one-hundred percent real is very misleading, not to mention, dangerous.
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

edith38 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 10:22 The author has a degree in law not in any form of medicine, research or health. However, she bases her claims on her father's work who was a molecular biologist and she is speaking in the name of a company that aim is to "brings together science and nature to create high quality, innovative health and beauty products". Do you feel that the book is based on a sufficient level of research to back its claims?
I think the book is based on sufficient level of research which her father started, she only continued from where he stopped. Forget about degree. Many degree holders in medicine field know nothing about what they studied for years. Degree or no degree, Sylvie proved her method works with testimonies of others and evidence.
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

To me, the face that the author has no scholarly medical or medical research training makes the book opinion. That doesn't necessarily mean that the information in the book is wrong though.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Melissa VanCleave Plant
Currently Reading: Looking Glass Friends
Bookshelf Size: 62
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissa-vancleave-plant.html
Latest Review: Heroes of Atlantis by Ryan Carriere
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Melissa VanCleave Plant »

The author, with her degree in law, has already proved herself quite intelligent. She is simply sharing her father's research with us. The information is backed by over 133 published research articles and at least two published books. Research that has been duplicated at Columbia University, a very prestigious American University. All that research and no negative side effects, no mainstream medical treatment can make those claims. Yet everyone wants to keep throwing their trust and money a large corporations that are interested in nothing more than making money.
Tester013
Currently Reading: Shot Down
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tester013.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Tester013 »

I definitely think that this book is more opinion based that research backed. That being said though, the opinions are not completely baseless.
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I think it was based on her father's research. I also believe that if you really want to know the truth about anything, you should do more research in what other people have found - somewhat similar to, "Get a second opinion". Personally, the book gave me hope.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Morgan Jones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 138
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-morgan-jones.html
Latest Review: Fate Won't Compromise by Catherine Blakely

Post by Morgan Jones »

I thinka mixture of both, though it is very well researched indeed.
"Reading is a conversation. All books talk. But a good book listens as well." - Mark Haddon
zjacks
Favorite Book: The Song of Achilles
Currently Reading: The Immigrant's Lament
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zjacks.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by zjacks »

I believe that this book, due to her knowledge coming from the previous knowledge from her father, can be counted as an "educated opinion'' rather than research-based. If it were research-based, she would have far more critical articles and scientific publications than that of her father.
Helen91
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-helen91.html
Latest Review: The Maestro Monologue by Rob White

Post by Helen91 »

The author and her team did some research on the topic. This coupled with the knowledge and experience garnered from her father makes her qualified to write on the subject matter in my opinion
MdNickez
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by MdNickez »

For all intents and purposes, undoubtedly; it is understandable that the book might give credence to the father's scientific achievement. However, there's no better way to help humanity than making sure such important scientific document's unearthed and brought to the public glare for the improvement of health standard and not cast to oblivion.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Personal opinion can be informed from research. Other times, it influences interpretation of research. i think this shows both.
MA
Aniza Butt
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aniza-butt.html
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott

Post by Aniza Butt »

I haven't read this book yet but i think it is difficult to write a well researched book on medicine by a lawyer.
"Fine...Make your villain."
`Darkling`
Latest Review: Aurona by BB Prescott
Emily Guerra
Currently Reading: I'll Give You the Sun
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emily-guerra.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Emily Guerra »

I became interested in this book due to my father passing away from cancer on December 28, 2018. He was an example of what Western Medicine can cause to the body. His body was a battlefield both internally and externally for three years. Now, this is not trying, in any way, to diminish the technological advances in medicine which have saved thousands of lives. Bodies react differently.

As to the book itself, the author has a great point of view and a good approach to technical matters. It is true she has no scientific background, but her dad did, though. It is also true that a certain amount of knowledge and personal research will give you the confidence to feel an expert and maybe become one with time. Being a Molecular Biologist, her father could have inherited some of his research onto her just like mine did with Engineering. (I'm not an Engineer, I'm a Graphic Designer)

I believe it's both, an opinion and a result of research. A combination or a follow-up on her father's work with her opinion based on it.
Dawud Adaviruku
Currently Reading: Holding Fire
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dawud-adaviruku.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Dawud Adaviruku »

I think this book is more of research base rather than opinion or results. Also, the author really tried by including a sufficient level of thorough research through out the book.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”