Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Use this forum to discuss the January 2019 Book of the month "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski
srividyag1
Currently Reading: The laws of human nature
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-srividyag1.html
Latest Review: The Hungry Heart by Brenda Gayle
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Is this book convincing / attractive to sceptics?

Post by srividyag1 »

I have lost two of my close relatives to cancer - my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother. Every day I live with the regret that I could have done more for both of them if only we had diagnosed it earlier. In this note, No, I would not prefer alternative medicine for Cancer treatment. I would prefer research backed by science. That being said, there are many doctors who are incompetent and are unable to detect cancer during the early stages. For preventing cancer, perhaps alternative solutions might be useful. Either way, it is scary and lonely - the road for the patient and his/her family and friends... I do not consider this scepticism; I consider this a practical choice.
- Srividya Giri
Smile more, it's infectious.
Charlie19
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlie19.html
Latest Review: The Fox by M. N. J. Butler

Post by Charlie19 »

Maybe, because it convinced me although all of us have different preferences and ability to judge.
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I believe both sceptics and fans of alternative medicine should read this book. A combination of both is effective. However, it all comes down to the level of open-mindedness of a person.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn
Kansas City Teacher
Review Team Admin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kansas-city-teacher.html
Latest Review: Project: 211 by Sammy Maida

Post by Kansas City Teacher »

srividyag1 wrote: 17 Apr 2019, 09:43 I have lost two of my close relatives to cancer - my paternal grandfather and my maternal grandmother. Every day I live with the regret that I could have done more for both of them if only we had diagnosed it earlier. In this note, No, I would not prefer alternative medicine for Cancer treatment. I would prefer research backed by science. That being said, there are many doctors who are incompetent and are unable to detect cancer during the early stages. For preventing cancer, perhaps alternative solutions might be useful. Either way, it is scary and lonely - the road for the patient and his/her family and friends... I do not consider this scepticism; I consider this a practical choice.
I agree whole-heartendly. When it's not you / your family going through cancer, alternative therapies sound convincing. Hey, why not! But - when it's you.....not sure I would want to take that chance. I am almost positive I would want the safety net of traditional medical science.
Felicity Granger
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-felicity-granger.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Felicity Granger »

Sceptics are sceptics for a reason. They're gonna be resistant to change or being convinced otherwise about something they've believed to be one particular way their entire lives. With substantial evidence and proof people will still hold fast to their sets of beliefs. Even so, to expect a book or article to completely alter anyone's way of thinking is kinda far-fetched. Maybe it will influence certain other factors and have a contemplative effect on readers but to completely switch how they view something? In my opinion, no.
readerrihana
Currently Reading: Cute tooth decay
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-readerrihana.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill

Post by readerrihana »

It's true, those of us who try to argue for alternative methods often get shouted down. The problem is when establish doctors come and tell their clients that there is not enough evidence and these things don't help.

I feel upset about that because it really does not hurt to use herbs and these harmless things, and these people could be turning people away from things that could be helping them

To me that is very wrong

But I think that books like these are helpful, because people who have been through an illness and recovered can explain how they helped themselves.

This is a lot stronger evidence than doctors with PhDs reading from their theses.

First hand experience are the best evidences
Jajachris
Currently Reading: The Blue Lagoon (Official Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jajachris.html
Latest Review: The Spirituality Puzzle by James Rondinone and Renee Rondinone

Post by Jajachris »

a9436 wrote: 01 Jan 2019, 08:45 I am not very far into the book yet, but as an anti-capitalist who has been let down by Western doctors, I was instantly drawn to the blurb and OBC review. I am sure I will find the book fascinating.

However, I do wonder who Winning the War on Cancer will appeal to in general - will the author metaphorically be, "preaching to the choir?" In my community, any mention of support for alternative medicine, or lack of support for established corporations, gets one labeled as a, "crazy hippy," or, "naiive," and a friend was only telling me yesterday about a British soap opera which is currently portraying non-chemotherapy cancer treatments as ridiculous and dangerous. Personally, I doubt that many people I know would consider reading a different perspective, despite the inclusion of proven science, and I find that highly disappointing.

Those of you who are further into the book - do you think the text is written in a way that will encourage sceptics to re-think? Or does it come across as too radical? What do you think of the cover - does that serve to attract or discourage opponents?
I just started reading the book too but I share your concern and Insight. A lot of people now know that these other methods can work but still can't be open minded enough to preach it or allow themselves to be part of it. This is because the corprations in charge are trying hard to show the effects of alternative medicine in bad light and some people cannot just unlearn
Bookreviwer2020
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookreviwer2020.html
Latest Review: Puzzle of Fate by A. Reza Kamarei

Post by Bookreviwer2020 »

I think this book, like many others has good arhuements and alot of strong evidences...but some people can never be convinced
Reading gives us somewhere to go when we have to stay where we are
car-mbz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-car-mbz.html
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo

Post by car-mbz »

I think some sceptics will rethink when they learn of how greedy leaders and big pharma collaborate to supress any info about natural medicines.
"Today a reader, tomorrow a leader." Margaret Fuller
Latest Review: Ironing by Navajo
Effie Cherotich
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-effie-cherotich.html
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien

Post by Effie Cherotich »

Even though the author talks about natural remedies of treating cancer(or diseases in general), she does not claim we should disregard conventional medicine. She actually campaigns for integrative medicine. I totally believe in alternative medicine and I see many people embracing it where I come from.
Latest Review: Khanjar by Bob O'Brien
Shridhar Suryawanshi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shridhar-suryawanshi.html
Latest Review: The Seventh Spark by J.B. Lion

Post by Shridhar Suryawanshi »

I found the information very convincing because the author backed it up with evidence and research. Medicine is a very complicated subject, but the author does a good job explaining it.
Sandeep Moses
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sandeep-moses.html
Latest Review: Stevie Tenderheart Books WAIT A MINUTE! (An Illustrated Novella) by Steve William Laible

Post by Sandeep Moses »

According to my opinion, this book gave me convincing results. Skeptics will be made to think about it. I won't use the word attractive as this is much more than getting attraction.
Agbata precious
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-agbata-precious.html
Latest Review: Reconfigurement by E. Alan Fleischauer

Post by Agbata precious »

I haven't read the book much, but I don't think so.
Charles lib
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charles-lib.html
Latest Review: Unicorns Know Magic by Charles Adkins

Post by Charles lib »

The authors writing style was great and clear to me.
Fentymak
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fentymak.html
Latest Review: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute by Jeff Meyer

Post by Fentymak »

I'm not sceptical. Nature is our greatest weapon in the battle against diseases.

Return to “Discuss "Winning the War on Cancer" by Sylvie Beljanski”