2020 Reading Challenge ideas

Looking for some exciting reading challenges? Look no further. Here will have all kind of fun challenges.
vermontelf
Currently Reading: The faerie wand
Bookshelf Size: 83
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermontelf.html
Latest Review: The Follower by L. Hillis

2020 Reading Challenge ideas

Post by vermontelf »

Here's a place to list your ideas for a fantastic reading challenge for 2020. Not only are we starting a new year, but a new decade as well!

My goals are:
at least 100 "printed" books (quotation marks because I use both physical books and ebooks)
at least 20 audio books
1-2 book reviews a month
at least 1/3 of my reading should be something other than Fantasy or YA fiction

What are your goals?
Let's see if we can find some great ideas for a Fun Reading Challenge!
AJGarrison17
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AJGarrison17 »

My goals are to learn something from what I have read. I want to grow more than i already have, and i want to feel like i can do anything afterwards.
Alyssa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alyssa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Ascension of Akistry by Matthew Tysz

Post by Alyssa »

So many reading challenges on Pinterest, every year I write down a few for when I don’t know what I’m in the mood to read, but I still want to read something. Usually it’s things like a book that was banned, something by an unknown author or even the thickest novel in the store. I try not to write too many down because than I find myself reading just to complete the list more than actually enjoying what I’m reading.
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

AJGarrison17 wrote: 28 Jan 2020, 14:30 My goals are to learn something from what I have read. I want to grow more than i already have, and i want to feel like i can do anything afterwards.
This is a great goal! I have several books saved on my Audible account for learning about bee keeping, etc. I just finished reading a memoir about a woman who grew up homeschooled by a very religious family and entered college without even knowing what the Holocaust was! It was really interesting to read what she had experienced and apply that view to my own life...
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

Alyssa wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 07:04 So many reading challenges on Pinterest, every year I write down a few for when I don’t know what I’m in the mood to read, but I still want to read something. Usually it’s things like a book that was banned, something by an unknown author or even the thickest novel in the store. I try not to write too many down because than I find myself reading just to complete the list more than actually enjoying what I’m reading.
Yes! So often the challenges don't cover what I really want. I don't want my genres or topics dictated but I want a push to expand my reading...That's why I started this thread to find new ideas for a challenge that actually fits what I want. I want more than a number, but I don't want to struggle through a book that I don't enjoy just to "finish". Trying new things/topics/genres is good, but my time is valuable and I don't want to waste it on a book that isn't for me.
RacyGracie
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by RacyGracie »

My goal is to read 2 new audible books each month, 2 new printed books each month and to make sure that all 4 are different genres each month! This will help me because I tend to get into a rut by getting interested in one subject and staying there too long!
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

RacyGracie wrote: 29 Jan 2020, 16:42 My goal is to read 2 new audible books each month, 2 new printed books each month and to make sure that all 4 are different genres each month! This will help me because I tend to get into a rut by getting interested in one subject and staying there too long!
I hear you! My audible account helps to keep me from staying in YA and Fantasy too much.
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

My reading goals for this year are:
*read 50 books
*read some short story collections
*participate in the 2020 Popsugar reading challenge
*participate in the Book Challenge by Erin #12 and #13
JennyorAlice
Currently Reading: Tales of the Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 151

Post by JennyorAlice »

I was trying to decide to either read more e-books this year than I normally read or read more books outside my comfort zone. I have been trying to decide which one of these I wanted to choose for this year.
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

I moved out of my comfort zone some this past fall and mostly enjoyed it. There were three books that I didn’t enjoy, several books I learned from, and quite a few I liked. I did find it easier to use audio books for the branching out, it seemed less punitive to listen in the car when I couldn’t be reading a “fun” book anyway, and then I was hooked in.
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

La Loca Designs wrote: 04 Feb 2020, 00:49 My reading goals for this year are:
*read 50 books
I don’t know anything about the Popsugar challenge or the BC by Erin, I’ll have to look into those.

And btw, I see by your name you just reviewed Solaris Seethes. I did too. I really enjoyed it, and because of that cliff hanger, I bought the second book though I haven’t read it yet.
La Loca Designs
Currently Reading: Hooked
Bookshelf Size: 171
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-la-loca-designs.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare

Post by La Loca Designs »

vermontelf wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 22:00
*read 50 books
I don’t know anything about the Popsugar challenge or the BC by Erin, I’ll have to look into those.

And btw, I see by your name you just reviewed Solaris Seethes. I did too. I really enjoyed it, and because of that cliff hanger, I bought the second book though I haven’t read it yet.
I will try to include links.
Popsugar is an annual challenge with 50 different categories for books to read. I like trying to fit my books into the categories and sometimes choose books specifically because they fit a category.
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/file ... 281%29.pdf

Book Challenge by Erin happens twice a year and challenges readers to read 10 books in different categories over the course of four months. It mostly takes place on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/BookCha ... =bookmarks

I liked Solaris Seethes but I had a hard time with the author's writing style. I don't think I will continue with the series.

BTW, I write reviews of almost every book I read on my blog if you are interested in reading more.
https://lalocadesigns.wordpress.com
Lee-Ann20
Currently Reading: Lovely War
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lee-ann20.html
Latest Review: Lingering Poets by Logan Lamech

Post by Lee-Ann20 »

Last year, my reading challenge was to read one book from the last 100 years (1 book from 1920,21,22,23 etc) I read some books that I had wanted to read, and some I never would have thought to have read. It was a fun a challenge. I'm planning on doing the BookRiot Read Harder challenge this year
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

La Loca Designs wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 19:34
vermontelf wrote: 08 Feb 2020, 22:00
*read 50 books

I will try to include links.
Popsugar is an annual challenge with 50 different categories for books to read. I like trying to fit my books into the categories and sometimes choose books specifically because they fit a category.
https://media1.popsugar-assets.com/file ... 281%29.pdf

Book Challenge by Erin happens twice a year and challenges readers to read 10 books in different categories over the course of four months. It mostly takes place on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/BookCha ... =bookmarks

I liked Solaris Seethes but I had a hard time with the author's writing style. I don't think I will continue with the series.

BTW, I write reviews of almost every book I read on my blog if you are interested in reading more.
https://lalocadesigns.wordpress.com
Thanks for these links, I appreciate it!
The Solaris Trilogy is written for a younger audience, so the author's style wasn't my favorite, and I didn't intend to read more, until the last couple pages.
vermontelf

Post by vermontelf »

Lee-Ann20 wrote: 10 Feb 2020, 22:21 Last year, my reading challenge was to read one book from the last 100 years (1 book from 1920,21,22,23 etc) I read some books that I had wanted to read, and some I never would have thought to have read. It was a fun a challenge. I'm planning on doing the BookRiot Read Harder challenge this year
Interesting, I've never read books based upon their year. I can completely see myself getting stuck in a decade...Sounds interesting though.

I've never heard of the BookRiot Read Harder Challenge...I'll have to look into it.

Return to “Reading Challenges”