Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Elifrodow11
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by Elifrodow11 »

Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Julehart1 wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 13:00 The thing that I liked most about this book is that it was suspenseful with many twists and turns. I like a good mystery. Probably what I liked least was all the information about Port Jefferson. I don’t know how necessary all of it was. I would recommend this book to people who are fans of the genre.
This book sounds interesting to me. I like mysteries and suspense too. Thank you for your comment I will add this to my reading list.
GPM
Favorite Book: The Diary Of An Immortal (1945-1959)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gpm.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by GPM »

The previous readers have rated this as very enjoyable.
"A man learns in two ways, one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people." - Will Rogers
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

kdstrack wrote: 07 Dec 2018, 22:35 I had a hard time finishing this book. The number of grammatical errors was an issue. I thought the author spent too much time swinging back and forth from romantic interludes to mystery sections. Bud's humor was a refreshing addition to the story. The detectives' moments of "selective listening" were other examples of comic relief that were well done. Lindsey's character was charming. I would have a hard time recommending this book unless it were edited and shortened.
It is true that for some, the movement in time may always be a major distractor. I would not mind even the back and forth shifts does not occur very often as it makes reading a little engaging.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Okafor Prosper
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 250
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-okafor-prosper.html
Latest Review: 52 Pieces: by Dr. Marina Kostina

Post by Okafor Prosper »

Even though I'm not really a horror/murder mystery fan, I appreciate the author's descriptive writing style on this book. It's a 4 out of 4 for me.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

I would rate the book "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert 3 stars. My favourite part of the book is the suspense factor of the book. One thing I din't like about the book is that it had too many grammatical errors
---
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

I haven't read the book yet. But, I wanted to read some of the comments to see not only what it was about by reviews before deciding on whether to read it, but also just to see people's thoughts of the book. I am surprised that it is the book of the month when so many people have mentioned the abundance of errors. Sounds like most people like the book (other than the a little less detail on Port Jefferson), and I normally like this type of book as well. But, now I'm hesitant as excessive errors does distract from the enjoyment of reading for me.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Theresam wrote: 17 Dec 2018, 12:18
Julehart1 wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 13:00 The thing that I liked most about this book is that it was suspenseful with many twists and turns. I like a good mystery. Probably what I liked least was all the information about Port Jefferson. I don’t know how necessary all of it was. I would recommend this book to people who are fans of the genre.
This book sounds interesting to me. I like mysteries and suspense too. Thank you for your comment I will add this to my reading list.
I haven't read the book yet, but I am hesitant to read it not for the content so much as so many people are mentioning an abundance of errors. Did you find that the errors were so excessive that it bothered you may I ask?
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

The book's sample seemed professionally edited however not my cup of tea. It is a horror/thriller genre and i am not a fan of this. Though there is a superb writing.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

It seems the grammatical errors in this book will deny the 1 critical star that would guarantee it a perfect rating. I hope another round of editing will be done.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Ladycakes44
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycakes44.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Ladycakes44 »

I can really appreciate the honesty in these forums. I think I would be extremely distracted by numerous grammatical errors. Plus, the idea of reading potentially inane information about a port doesn't strike my fancy.
Mai Tran
Currently Reading: What's Your Favorite Color?
Bookshelf Size: 165
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mai-tran.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Mai Tran »

imjaneturner wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 15:38
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
I've read the free sample and couldn't agree more. The book in its current stage is painful to read. It's a shame because I've heard lots of nice things about the plot.
T_stone
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-t-stone.html
Latest Review: Marketing on Fleek by Kobi Ben Meir
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by T_stone »

The book's cover gave a good idea of what to expect from this book. The grammatical errors in this one made me give it a lower rating.
Feeling upset sometimes may be unavoidable, but acting distressed is always optional.

Rob White
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

It was a decent read but not the best crime and mystery novel out there. I would give it 2 out of 4 stars at most. The book had a lot of fluff and very little action. Most events, characters and descriptions the author included did not add value to the overall investigation, but only served to slow the book's pace.
Despite having the Ghostface mask on the cover, I would not classify the book as a horror novel. Either that or I was simply too bored to get scared.
One upside is that I could not correctly guess who the Ghostface murderer was until it was revealed. Some twists in the book were unrealistic but quite a number caught me off guard.
Charlotte_Shi
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 236
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi »

So many helpful and honest opinions. Thank you. It seems that there are some great characters and humorous moments, but I can't ignore your comments about the grammatical errors, and the book’s pace. I don't think that I would enjoy this book.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”