Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
Mackenzie Hargis
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by Mackenzie Hargis »

The characters in "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert are well developed and and described by Torbert. However, the novel needs to be thoroughly edited, for there are many grammatical errors. If you can overlook these errors, the plot of the story is worth reading about!
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

I am quite sure that if the author will consider doing another round of editing for this book, then it will definitely earn a perfect rating.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3017
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Mackenzie Hargis wrote: 30 Dec 2018, 15:52 The characters in "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert are well developed and and described by Torbert. However, the novel needs to be thoroughly edited, for there are many grammatical errors. If you can overlook these errors, the plot of the story is worth reading about!
The quality of character development and plot building is good for sure. I am fascinated by this and I hope that the grammatical errors will be corrected.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Heiress_Omoh
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Heiress_Omoh »

The message is a very powerful one because fear is an enemy that must be detest at all cost. Nevertheless the work should be improved upon.

Every literary work must be to a reasonable and appreciable extent void of errors.

Thanks.
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:13 I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
I haven't read it yet but that is a hilarious trope on modern millenials lol!
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
Swat3737
Favorite Book: Mists of avalon
Currently Reading: Good Omens
Bookshelf Size: 631
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-swat3737.html
Latest Review: Sherlock and I A Memoir of Medical Mysteries in a US Rural Practice by Frederick Kassis, MD

Post by Swat3737 »

I was excited to read it based on the description, title and engaging book cover but the reviews make me less likely to read it. The cover is really cool so maybe I'll still give it a chance
"One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star." - Friedrich Nietzsche
kadhal2018
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by kadhal2018 »

I didnt read the whole book but gone through some pages.seems to me as an average book as it is interesting but the author is giving unwanted details to the situations.i know its childish to evaluate a book by reading only some pages like evaluating a film by seeing its trailor only...still i find there is a little bit of lag by reading some pages...hoping it may be get better when i read the balance...
Dhanaraaj Raghuveer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dhanaraaj-raghuveer.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Dhanaraaj Raghuveer »

Does the book really contain as many grammatical errors as stated in this discussion box? Where would one place the plot of the story in standards compared to other detective novels like that of Agatha Christie's?
preethijkumar
Currently Reading: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-preethijkumar.html
Latest Review: A Roadmap To Career Success by John G Bendt

Post by preethijkumar »

The book starts quite slow but the suspense built can definitely aid in having the reader lingered to the flow. Grammatical mistakes can throw the reader off. Although, overlooking these aspects, this book is truly amazing with mystery, violence, drama, and suspense.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

alihaider1336 wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:16 I liked the book because it tells you about how to cope with your fear. It can really be helpful about those people who fight with their fear and can't cope with it. I recommend it to those people who want to fight with their fear in life.
Exactly that is very true.
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

It was an incredible thriller. Great mystery. The grammar errors was what I liked the least.
:tiphat:
Willy 1
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willy-1.html
Latest Review: All the Targets by Noah Bond

Post by Willy 1 »

Detective books are usually filled with suspense, good book but it contains lots of grammatical errors.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

I haven't read everything. But I like horror and suspense filled books. Having said that, I think it would be educational too. Because fear is one aspect of life, most people struggle with, so any book that enlightens us about it, is welcome!
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

I am an avid reader of crime novels but this book just didn't cut it for me despite the fact that it has the horror movie villain, Ghostface! What I like about the book is that Torbet created a suspenseful page-turner; where he intermixed fictional characters with actual residents and establishments of Port Jefferson which made the story all too real. I felt like the cop conspiracy was unnecessary and that the book also had a lot of unnecessary information. Every single thought of every character was pretty much directly stated and it made the book quite boring to read at some parts because it slowed down the action. I would recommend the book to people who are fans of suspense and action. Even though the ending left me with questions that may be answered in a sequel, I don't think I would read it. As a result I will give this book 2 out of 4 stars.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I gave this book 3 out of 4 stars for the action, suspense, and mystery surrounding the murders and kidnapping. My favorite thing about this book was how well Mr. Cronin crafted O'Connor's arrest, up to the point where Bud shot him in the ass. My least favorite thing about this book was the fact that Debbie was pretty much acting as jail bait for Robert Simpson for years before she turned eighteen, and the fact that Debbie was glad her mother died. I also disliked the fact that Rachelle was dating Tim, and the fact that she kept acting rude towards Paul the entire book until she finally took his shirt off at the end. WOW. I had to endure over 400 pages of back and forth nonsense between Paul and Rachelle just for a quick kiss with no shirt at the end. Legend has it that they are still deciding whether or not to take her shirt off too.
:character-ariel:

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”