Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
savannahde123
Bookshelf Size: 0

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by savannahde123 »

This book was great! It makes you wonder how easy it is to get over fear... in the moment you don’t think so, however once you conquer your fear you’ll think why were you even afraid in the first place
bauer_ve
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bauer-ve.html
Latest Review: The Touch by Robert Flynn III

Post by bauer_ve »

I typically really like murder/mystery books, but I don't believe I will be continuing to read this one. Some of the characters seemed interesting at first, but the conversations & dialogue were stale and just didn't sound realistic. I can't get over all of the grammatical errors and the extensive focus on aspects of the story that are not important. It felt like it dragged on and I found myself wanting to skip ahead way too early in the book. I would give this book 1 out of 4 stars
Rose Harebate
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rose-harebate.html
Latest Review: Family Honor-III by T. O'Neil Charity

Post by Rose Harebate »

The plot was interesting, but too much extensive information made it a slow pace, not to mention the fact that there were a lot of grammar errors. I would rate the book 2 out of 4 stars.
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

I reviewed this book and rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I think this was an exciting and suspenseful book. I didn't guess who was the GhostFace and was surprised by the reveal.
Hannahberry
Currently Reading: Fire and Blood (A Song of Ice and Fire)
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahberry.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup

Post by Hannahberry »

Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
Thanks for sharing your thoughts! I think the story sounds really interesting and it's great to hear the characters are well-built. Bit annoying that the editing isn't perfect but I think I'll give it a try :)
Susmita Biswas
Currently Reading: Fuzzy Bunny Slippers
Bookshelf Size: 595
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-susmita-biswas.html
Latest Review: The MISOGI Method by Jody B. Miller

Post by Susmita Biswas »

The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel, by R. J. Torbert, is a horror novel. The cover page is very horrifying. It reminds me of the film scream. I think it would be great reading this book.
Susmita Roy :techie-studyinggray:
ZipIsHere
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zipishere.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is Not What You Think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by ZipIsHere »

I began reading it but it's not that interesting or entertaining. I'm not sure if I will complete it.
I read about 15 pages and from that aspect, I'd only give it a 1/4. I gave it a 1 cause there are very many grammar issues and it's not suspense worthy.
linham02660
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-linham02660.html
Latest Review: The Altitude Journals by David J Mauro
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by linham02660 »

I love the cover. I might wait on a revision to read since there are so many errors at the moment. I love suspenseful crime dramas. This book is a must read for me a later time.
ZhanQuan
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by ZhanQuan »

Set in Port Jefferson, the story begins with a kidnapping on the ferry to Bridgeport. When a string of murders occur connected to the case, no one in Port Jefferson, the FBI or the Suffolk County Police is above suspicion. As pressure mounts from the media and FBI to solve the murders before more lives are lost, the Ghost Face murderer continues to kill anyone that may threaten his goal. It seems as though town folk and authorities alike have some link to the crimes committed, keeping us wondering as to what the motive is for the murders. When you think you have the mystery solved, another piece of information will refute your theory, making you analyze the clues all over again. Torbet weaves a suspenseful page-turner; intermingling fictional characters with actual residents and establishments, making the horror seem all too real for the local reader. To break the gruesome tension, there are two budding love stories, involving the two detectives, Powers and Johnson, who are the lead officials on the case.

However, there were a lot of grammatical and sentence structure error that offset the interesting plot. Every single thought of every character was pretty much directly stated. The dialogue was robotic, unrealistic and cliche with few unsuccessful attempts of proses. Overall, a fair rating 2/4
janinewesterweel
Currently Reading: Gangster State
Bookshelf Size: 56
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-janinewesterweel.html
Latest Review: Cooperative Lives by Patrick Finegan

Post by janinewesterweel »

imjaneturner wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 15:38
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
Thank you for this info! I was about to make a start on this one but I, too, am completely put off a story by bad editing and weird grammar. I think I'll pass. :)
“Sleep is good, he said, and books are better.” :techie-reference:
― George R. R. Martin

"I’ve always believed that chaos is the muse of creation, and a good story is often driven by the choices made in the wake of madness."
- Matthew Tysz
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-calypso-terrier.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Calypso Terrier »

This book was exceptionally detailed, and it must have been hard on the author to do that. But from a reader's standpoint, I agree with lots of other readers that the details were too overpowering and sometimes annoying.
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:

This book was exceptionally detailed, and it must have been hard on the author to do that. But from a reader's standpoint, I agree with lots of other readers that the details were too overpowering and sometimes annoying.
Calypso Terrier
Currently Reading:

linham02660 wrote: 10 Feb 2019, 10:17 I love the cover. I might wait on a revision to read since there are so many errors at the moment. I love suspenseful crime dramas. This book is a must read for me a later time.
I agree! The cover really spoke out to me and I liked the suspenseful design. The book could be a lot more enjoyable when grammatical errors are fixed.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 20:24 If not for the numerous grammatical errors and irrelevant details, I would say I loved this book
I'm glad you mention these things. Looking at the cover and reading the title, I get the sense it should be fast-paced and thrilling. Stumbling over grammatical errors, and wading through irrelevant details, would definitely affect my overall reading experience. Thank-you for sharing.
randompersonavility
Currently Reading: A Witch in Time Saves Nine
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-randompersonavility.html
Latest Review: Timewise by Robert Leet

Post by randompersonavility »

From reading a review, I feel like this is an intriguing crime thriller.

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”