Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Use this forum to discuss the December 2018 Book of the month "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert
topdan30
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 125
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-topdan30.html
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
2024 Reading Goal: 853
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert

Post by topdan30 »

Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 20:24 If not for the numerous grammatical errors and irrelevant details, I would say I loved this book
Books with much grammatical error is a pput off
Latest Review: Shitolian by O Persaud
Uche B
Currently Reading: China rich girlfriend
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uche-b.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Uche B »

The book cover is interesting, really attractive.
"Life is more than unpainted fences" - Nomnso Mordi.
Uche B

Post by Uche B »

imjaneturner wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 15:38
Ruba Abu Ali wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 06:07 I liked the well-built characters in this book. On the downside, I was a bit put off by the grammatical errors. A round of judicious editing is needed. Additionally, at certain points, there were extensive details that I felt were not of major importance to the storyline.
Would I recommend it to others? I would, if you can overlook the editorial issues, and resist the urge to skim through the pages because of the too many details.
I completely agree with regard to the grammatical errors. I am three pages in and have recorded 7 instances of grammatical errors. Not only are there many basic grammar errors (like missing commas), but there are also weird sentence structures. I want to include an example that really threw me off:

"Debbie drove to Z Pita with her Dad following. Because she was taking her car onto the ferry, he needed to take his own vehicle which was diamond white Corvette, he called it his favorite toy. They walked into Z Pita and sat for lunch at table four. It was ironic because the two men sitting at table three, Detectives Powers and Johnson, were going to be a part of her for the remainder of her life. No matter how long or short it would be, it was these two that would have an important role in her destiny and yet now, this second, they were just two men sitting close to her space while not even giving them a moment's thought."

Torbert, R.J.. The Face of Fear: A Powers and Johnson Novel (p. 3). Two Harbors Press. Kindle Edition.

Everything about this paragraph needs to be redone. This book is in desperate need of editing.
Wow, those are some pretty bad typos.
Uche B

Post by Uche B »

Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:13 I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
Extensive information about Port Jefferson, some might call it too much, lol.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

Although I normally like books of this nature, I don't think I would want to read this one due to the grammatical errors stated by other readers. If it was just a few I could overlook and it wouldn't distract from the read much, but 7 in the first few pages? Not for me.
Shola0706
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shola0706.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by Shola0706 »

Analeigh wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 19:15
Bianka Walter wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 11:13 I rated this book two out of four stars.
I didn't love it.
I was, unfortunately, bored through a lot of it. At least I came away from it knowing EXTENSIVE information about Port Jefferson, which I doubt I will ever use in my life.
I found it hilarious at the beginning of the book when two characters (with busy schedules) were trying to make time to go on a date. In order to do so, they met for coffee to see when they were available and to sort out their schedules.
This is really good information. I was going to read this book next but I don’t have room in my busy life for extra information about Port Jefferson! 😂

I also thought that this comment was hilarious: having coffee to fix a proper date. I would just stick with a coffee date - short and sweet.
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

This book is a suspenseful page-turner. I enjoyed the fact that it intermingles fictional characters with actual residents and establishments which just made everything more realistic for the reader. The only fault that I found with this book is that it the dialogue was robotic and expected at some parts and that the author gave too much detail when describing the town that I wondered if I was reading a tourist's guide to Port Jeff. I would recommend it to fans of horror and murder mysteries.
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

topdan30 wrote: 04 Jan 2019, 00:48
Sushan wrote: 01 Dec 2018, 20:24 If not for the numerous grammatical errors and irrelevant details, I would say I loved this book
Books with much grammatical error is a pput off
For sure!
I would give this a 6 out of 10 though.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I enjoyed the storyline but was piste by the grammatical errors. I would certainly recommend it to people.
AnnaKathleen
Currently Reading: Kill Them All
Bookshelf Size: 1085
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annakathleen.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by AnnaKathleen »

This seems like a great read, but I haven't gotten to more than sampling it. I personally love horror and,according to some reviews I've read, the characters seem pretty developed which might outweigh any typos. This one is definitely going on the list.
"I became darkness, shadow and wind." - Sarah J. Maas A Court of Mist and Fury
nonamer_miss
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nonamer-miss.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by nonamer_miss »

I didn't love it.

This is new. A lot of reviews I've red found the book engaging... It's always good to have a varied opinion.
Shruti Banik
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 35
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shruti-banik.html
Latest Review: A Police Action by A. A. Freda

Post by Shruti Banik »

The reviews appear to be a mix of good and bad. While most enjoyed the plot, they were put off by the bad editing. Yet, I would like to give the book a try. I liked the summary of the book and I think I will enjoy reading it.
HappyHatch
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-happyhatch.html
Latest Review: Daisy's Run by Scott Baron

Post by HappyHatch »

This book was good, like many other murder mysteries out there. The book had a very nonchalant feeling to it despite it's edgy material. Things would seem to saunter along and then all of a sudden something big would happen. There were also many details in the book that would sometime clutter up the storyline too much. Over all a good book.
Nosaemma2001
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by Nosaemma2001 »

The face of fear has a little something for every reader; crime drama, murder, romance and local history, set in the backdrop of one of long Island Prettiest port towns. There are still questions and mysteries to be solved. Though this book has a lot of Grammatical errors and I will rate 2 out of 4
Faithmwangi
Currently Reading: Empowered
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-faithmwangi.html
Latest Review: The Prodigy Slave, Book One: Journey to Winter Garden by Londyn Skye

Post by Faithmwangi »

I am yet to make a conclusive decision about reading this book. On one hand, it has had praises on helping to cope with fear and I find this important. On the other hand, there has been criticism on the grammatical errors and its inability to catch the readers attention from the beginning to the end. In the meantime, I will just put it as a maybe in my to read list.
"Reading is essential for those who seek to rise above the ordinary.” – Jim Rohn

Return to “Discuss "The Face of Fear" by RJ Torbert”