Personal stories

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Personal stories

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

Radiant3 wrote: 13 Nov 2018, 11:54 One personal story that stood out to me was when Mark wanted to buy the 1956 VW bug, but he didn't have sufficient money. He learned an important lesson, that he must be "committed, able, willing, and prepared " so when an opportunity presents itself, he would be in a position to take advantage of it.
Oh yes, I liked that one too. Just as good things come to those who wait, opportunities come to those who are prepared to take advantage of them. :D
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

Jsovermyer wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 21:54 A story that really left me with questions was near the front of the book. His successful friend tells him that to be successful you must associate with successful people. I question if this is good advice.
To a certain degree, I think that this is valid. For instance, if you only associate with people who are negative or who can't hold a job, then you may well either pick up some negativity yourself or become the model of sorts. Alternately, if you associate with people who are successful, positive and/or profitable, then you will more likely be able to bounce ideas off each other and stay in a forward motion of advancing rather than trying to be the rope that pulls the others up and forward. Of course that is by no means set in stone and there are always exceptions. There are also different types of people and some people are more likely to succeed when they have someone they are able to help. I think it all depends on the individual.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
raqstar1
Currently Reading: The Lady of the Lakes
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raqstar1.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by raqstar1 »

I think the story about the giving the friend money is very interesting because it made me think on what different people consider to be an emergency or deprivation or... No one is in the same situation. So for me, not having enough money to feed my pets is a critical worry. But for some people, a critical worry is not being able to give their child a coat for the winter. Yet for others, their biggest worry is how to minimize tax implications in order to take a cruise.
Understanding that we are all in different circumstances and that, for each of those people their worry is valid, is something to think of. That's not to say that we should discount one because it seems trivial or that we should beggar ourselves in order to assist another. It is just saying that keeping an open mind is necessary if you are going to understand the bigger picture.
Life is your own story. Sometimes you need an off-ramp and that's where books come in! :techie-studyingbrown: :techie-reference:
CinWin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 311
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cinwin.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by CinWin »

I enjoyed the story of Mark meeting the successful businessman who set him on his way to success by telling him to associate with people who are positive, successful and are affluent. If you learn to act like them you will become more like them.
----"Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."----
Kibet Hillary
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3018
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kibet-hillary.html
Latest Review: Nimue by Ayn Cates Sullivan

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Alicia09 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 17:24 In this book, Mark shared a lot of personal stories of times when he made mistakes in his life. My favorite personal story was of the time he lent a friend money, only to find his friend driving a brand new car later on that same year. I liked this story because it was a good example of what happens when we try to go out of our way to help others. Others may try to take advantage of us, and it is important to keep that in mind. What was your favorite personal story?
This is a lesson indeed. There are numerous times when we are tempted to go out of our ways to help someone yet the help we are according may not be important or that urgent. In the end, we are the ones who get hurt.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Jsovermyer wrote: 04 Nov 2018, 21:54 A story that really left me with questions was near the front of the book. His successful friend tells him that to be successful you must associate with successful people. I question if this is good advice.
We may not always realize the impact of being in the wrong company because the result is usually long term. However, this statement holds some truth in it. Those who are mainly around us will always find a way of influencing. Remember the old proverb 'Birds of the same feather flock together?' It might be this too.
“It just hurts too much to admit what is wanted so badly when there’s no guarantee of its availability.”
- Dr. Larry Crabb
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

My best friend neglected me when when my former wife died. He refused to sign a loan form for me and was not present at the funeral.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I liked when he shared that how he was working under a well-settled man and how he advised Widowiak to do some unusual in life for a success.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Yoli García
Currently Reading: Fear Not, Dream Big, & Execute
Bookshelf Size: 210
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yoli-garc-a.html
Latest Review: A taste of Cuba by Birgitte Røddik

Post by Yoli García »

I liked that story too! When I was reading, I expected the friend to take advantage of him. I have had a similar experience with a few family members. They say they have a financial problem and anxiety because of it. One gives them help. They spend the money on unnecessary things or luxuries.

I also liked when he said that having a baby at seventeen was his responsibility. That happened to me at twenty-three. Everyone thought my future was doomed. My husband (at the time my boyfriend) and I took full responsibility. I did not let the pregnancy deter me from finishing my bachelor's degree. I graduated Magna Cum Laude. Then, I completed a master's degree with high honors. Twelve years later we are still fine, not doomed as people thought.
"What matters in life is not what happens to you but what you remember and how you remember it."

-Gabriel García Márquez
Vitter Krane
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vitter-krane.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Vitter Krane »

I happened to have loved that same story of lending money to his friend only to find him enjoying life note than he did. That's the irony we grapple with in the society everyday. Some persons disguise their status or situation to seek for help and empathy from others.
vinkipc
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vinkipc.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by vinkipc »

My dad has always help me in my life. He showed me a purpose of life and association with positive people. It is because of him that I become the man I am today.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

Nice idea! I remember the qoute "tell me who your friends are and i tell you who you are."
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

I've been in a situation with...

talkative people-their spirit seems to wrap me and become like them which i hate.

Possitive thinkers- developa my dreams

Passive people- makes my life lousy

Rich people- makes me remember money is not the real happiness

Being myself- a good time to meditate
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

These personal stories added a lot of authenticity and the importance of the book over the others. The reality is that there are so many books out there in the stores on the same topic and subject matter thus including a personal account is always good as it gives the book some uniqueness.
- Dr. Larry Crabb
Kibet Hillary
Currently Reading:

Post by Kibet Hillary »

Vitter Krane wrote: 26 Nov 2018, 06:51 I happened to have loved that same story of lending money to his friend only to find him enjoying life note than he did. That's the irony we grapple with in the society everyday. Some persons disguise their status or situation to seek for help and empathy from others.
This is true. You do not have to walk a long distance in our streets nowadays before you come across one person who is acting like a beggar or person in need asking for money. Yet the reality is that some of them are conmen or conwomen ready to take advantage of anyone.
- Dr. Larry Crabb

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”