Impact of the title

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Mutegude
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Mutegude »

I think the title that is straight to the point in regard to the purpose of the book. It then has a bit of humour to clearly show that its not going to be boring to read.
Unibird3
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-unibird3.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Unibird3 »

I agree that the title is one of the most important features of a book because it usually helps a reader determine if he or she wants to read the book. My first thought when I read the title, "If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's" was laughter. To me, it means, you have to change who you are and be positive in order to get to a better life. You shouldn't constantly complain and be negative. You should strive to improve your life with whatever it takes.
AutumsFall
Currently Reading: Immortals' Requiem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by AutumsFall »

The title of the book you are referencing is a very unique way of going about creating a title. With most books, it is a one to two word title that sounds cool and has significance to the story. This on the other hand, is a joke. And I did chuckle at it the first time I read it, so good on you. I think it is a good title. I also feel that the title has a double meaning. The first being getting your head out of your rear; The second being to stop making excuses about why your life stinks. Make it better by changing your head space.
Bluebird03
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 127
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluebird03.html
Latest Review: Retort and Retribution by Jak Dello

Post by Bluebird03 »

I loved the title! It grabs your attention in a clever way and perfectly sums up the main lesson of the book. It told me that the author had a sense of humor and that I could probably expect to see more of his humor when reading the book. I was certainly not disappointed! :D :D
Renu G
Currently Reading: Masters and Bastards
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renu-g.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola

Post by Renu G »

I found the title offensive but it draws ones attention to the book.
promise10
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 74

Post by promise10 »

Straighten your act immediately and stop making excuses. Funny but true. The title is very direct and i appreciate that.
ayomie
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomie.html
Latest Review: Cancer on a Harley or is it? Lyme Disease by Lisa Heather Torbert

Post by ayomie »

I think the title is appropriate. It sends the right message and helps one know what the book is about.
“I have experienced many times
since then that I don’t always have
to prove I’m right to win at the
game of life."
Rob White
lisalynn
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisalynn.html
Latest Review: Sex on every Paige by Graham Spaid

Post by lisalynn »

It's outrageous enough and has something of a double meaning, and attracts attention. Even if someone doesn't end up reading the book, the title will make them take a second look.
Brendan Donaghy
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Small Great Things
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brendan-donaghy.html
Latest Review: Teetering On A Tightrope by Steven W Wilson

Post by Brendan Donaghy »

I haven't read this book yet, but I think the title is fantastic. It makes you smile, or perhaps cringe with embarrassment, or even feel totally outraged, but it certainly grabs your attention! :D
Mbrooks2518
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 385
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbrooks2518.html
Latest Review: The Portal by Russell Cederberg

Post by Mbrooks2518 »

It's an attention grabbing title, but I don't like it. It's actually a bit of a turn off to me. If I saw it on a shelf, I wouldn't even pick it up.
SavannaEGoth
Favorite Book: Warriors
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-savannaegoth.html
Latest Review: Misreading Judas by Robert Wahler

Post by SavannaEGoth »

Seeing the title alone would give me the opinion that the book was more of a trashy novel, or at least something very blunt with some humor and brutal honesty thrown in. It gives the impression it's sort of a "tough pill to swallow" book aimed at the reader, or society in general. A lot of people complain about their lives and their situations, but there a lot of individuals who don't attempt to correct or improve their situations, or they don't know how so they don't make any attempt. I think that the title would be addressing that, and that the book would then likely be very motivational and honest with its audience after hooking them like that.

I know a lot of people don't do well with any titles or hooks that make them feel attacked or even a little offended/guilty, and so it may turn a good deal of people off. Some may think it to be crude or immature. I think it's interesting if nothing else, and would at least give it a try.
"I'm going to die whatever you do, but I'm not afraid."
- Yellowfang Warriors: Rising Storm
Renee_Prior1995
Currently Reading: Misreading Judas
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-renee-prior1995.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Renee_Prior1995 »

my first reaction was in all honesty, laughter. I found the title amusing and still do. it is truly a clever, attention-grabbing title and deserves props.
Alena_Surya
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alena-surya.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Alena_Surya »

I think the title tells us that if our life stinks, we're responsible for it and we cannot blame others. Hence, we should do something about it.
shravsi
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Crime and Punishment
Bookshelf Size: 115
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shravsi.html
Latest Review: Sam the Chosen by Wally Jones

Post by shravsi »

I decided to read the book only because of the title. When a self-help book has such a title it means one thing the author wants to say the truth as it is. Not sugar coat it in layers. And it is sooooooo true :D :D :D :D
supernatural143
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-supernatural143.html
Latest Review: The Killers Ruse by Darrin Friedman

Post by supernatural143 »

The title made me laugh at first and then ponder in amazement. It has humor and wonders at the same time. It's a catchy one. Kudos to the author!

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”