What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Post Reply
User avatar
Radiant3
Posts: 367
Joined: 04 May 2018, 05:40
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 92
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Queen of Xana by Fred Pilcher

Re: What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Post by Radiant3 » 14 Nov 2018, 07:48

HollandBlue wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:07
Radiant3 wrote:
12 Nov 2018, 22:21
I think that signing your initials was an interesting aspect of the book. Usually, you sign something to acknowledge that you have read and understood what was written. Perhaps this was meant to be a personal acknowledgment and agreement of what was read.
You make a good point.
Thank you, :)

User avatar
piecesfallapart
Posts: 38
Joined: 04 Jun 2018, 18:45
Currently Reading: The Nightingale
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-piecesfallapart.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by piecesfallapart » 14 Nov 2018, 14:47

HollandBlue wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:10
I don't think there is a way to sign on kindle, and you're right-the author has no way of knowing if you signed or not, so you're actually making a contract with yourself.
Exactly, and I don't think you need to sign the pages to make the contract. I do not sign when I want to go on a diet, or start doing some exercise, it is all about willingness. Maybe it does help some people, though, maybe signing is the way they actually agree do make the changes they need.

User avatar
fernsmom
Posts: 333
Joined: 07 Sep 2018, 06:17
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom » 15 Nov 2018, 00:03

I get the reasoning behind it, to make yourself accountable, or committed to what was read. But, personally I don't think it works any better. Maybe for kids when you have them initial each day for chores or something but for adults?

User avatar
kristine29
Posts: 54
Joined: 18 Aug 2018, 03:36
Currently Reading: Release that witch
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristine29.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by kristine29 » 15 Nov 2018, 06:14

Well that is certainly creative, hmm maybe I would try it sometime , see If I get really motivated as the author suggested.

User avatar
HollandBlue
Posts: 1538
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 15 Nov 2018, 09:06

fernsmom wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 00:03
I get the reasoning behind it, to make yourself accountable, or committed to what was read. But, personally I don't think it works any better. Maybe for kids when you have them initial each day for chores or something but for adults?
That's true, that's a good idea to have kids initial a chore chart!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

User avatar
HollandBlue
Posts: 1538
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 15 Nov 2018, 09:07

kristine29 wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 06:14
Well that is certainly creative, hmm maybe I would try it sometime , see If I get really motivated as the author suggested.
It is creative...
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

kdstrack
Posts: 3717
Joined: 10 May 2017, 19:49
2019 Reading Goal: 100
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2018 Reading Goal: 100
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 106
Currently Reading: Shifted
Bookshelf Size: 277
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kdstrack.html
Latest Review: Jim in Enemy Territory by Le Lan Anh

Post by kdstrack » 15 Nov 2018, 11:00

I think the idea of signing your initials is a step toward being responsible. This is a practical way for the reader to start putting in practice the main theme of the book. The author stresses the idea of taking control of your thinking and being responsible for your own life. Signing your initials may be a small thing, but it helps the person learn to be responsible. He also talks about the importance of the little things later on in the book. Putting your name on something, like any contract or written document, makes you responsible.

Theresam
Posts: 388
Joined: 18 Jun 2018, 22:27
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 38
Currently Reading: Eleven
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresam.html
Latest Review: Small Change by Keddie Hughes

Post by Theresam » 15 Nov 2018, 11:02

I thought it was a really great idea to add to the book. I felt like it held me more Accountable to make these changes to my life and my way of thinking.

gfowle
Posts: 53
Joined: 31 Jul 2018, 19:21
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle » 15 Nov 2018, 11:22

FictionLover wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 07:42
I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

I did not think it served any purpose because it did not anchor the topics in my mind and just became a rote way of knowing that the chapter was at an end.
I was also unable to initial and do not think that it would have particularly contributed to my experience reading the book. I would have liked to see more concrete suggestions for things to actively do to implement the suggestions given by the author.

User avatar
Charlotte_Shi
Posts: 43
Joined: 23 Jul 2018, 16:34
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 6
Currently Reading: In Lucia's Eyes
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlotte-shi.html
Latest Review: Concealment by Rose Edmunds

Post by Charlotte_Shi » 16 Nov 2018, 20:14

As the author explains, the act of signing ensures that the readers would hold themselves ‘accountable in the future court of life’. Probably not a very practical one, this idea is actually excellent, as it differentiates the book from other similar ones.

User avatar
HollandBlue
Posts: 1538
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 17 Nov 2018, 15:46

piecesfallapart wrote:
14 Nov 2018, 14:47
HollandBlue wrote:
13 Nov 2018, 23:10
I don't think there is a way to sign on kindle, and you're right-the author has no way of knowing if you signed or not, so you're actually making a contract with yourself.
Exactly, and I don't think you need to sign the pages to make the contract. I do not sign when I want to go on a diet, or start doing some exercise, it is all about willingness. Maybe it does help some people, though, maybe signing is the way they actually agree do make the changes they need.
Very true, willingness is what it's all about....
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

User avatar
HollandBlue
Posts: 1538
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 17 Nov 2018, 15:48

kdstrack wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 11:00
I think the idea of signing your initials is a step toward being responsible. This is a practical way for the reader to start putting in practice the main theme of the book. The author stresses the idea of taking control of your thinking and being responsible for your own life. Signing your initials may be a small thing, but it helps the person learn to be responsible. He also talks about the importance of the little things later on in the book. Putting your name on something, like any contract or written document, makes you responsible.
You're right, it's about being responsible for what you have read and implementing the ideas into your life.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

User avatar
HollandBlue
Posts: 1538
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 17 Nov 2018, 15:51

Theresam wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 11:02
I thought it was a really great idea to add to the book. I felt like it held me more Accountable to make these changes to my life and my way of thinking.
I agree, accountability is a big theme throughout the book. In addition to having you signing your initials, the author wants you to be accountable for yourself.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

User avatar
HollandBlue
Posts: 1538
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 17 Nov 2018, 15:53

gfowle wrote:
15 Nov 2018, 11:22
FictionLover wrote:
03 Nov 2018, 07:42
I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

I did not think it served any purpose because it did not anchor the topics in my mind and just became a rote way of knowing that the chapter was at an end.
I was also unable to initial and do not think that it would have particularly contributed to my experience reading the book. I would have liked to see more concrete suggestions for things to actively do to implement the suggestions given by the author.
Exercises to help you implement the suggestions in the book would have been good.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

User avatar
HollandBlue
Posts: 1538
Joined: 04 Aug 2018, 16:37
2018 Reading Goal: 20
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 230
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 108
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust

Post by HollandBlue » 17 Nov 2018, 15:55

Charlotte_Shi wrote:
16 Nov 2018, 20:14
As the author explains, the act of signing ensures that the readers would hold themselves ‘accountable in the future court of life’. Probably not a very practical one, this idea is actually excellent, as it differentiates the book from other similar ones.
Good point, I had forgotten that statement and it really is true.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)

Post Reply

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”