What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Re: What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Post by Jacci »

Signing initial is possible if i have a hard copy, but for this ebook no need for me to do it. The lessons i've learned is enough.
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
MalMartin
Currently Reading: Murder in Memory
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-malmartin.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by MalMartin »

I think signing your initials at the end of the chapters can mean many things. I typed my initials every time I finished a chapter in my kindle. For me, it just made me feel like I took more responsibility for my own actions. Signing my initials would help me reflect on what the chapter was about. Also, since I have to sign my initials on so many medical papers anyway its almost like my brain automatically categorizes it as something important. I think he did this as a way to make the reader feel like this book or the information within it is important.

As I stated earlier, signing you initials can mean many things. I think its possible that it can just be another way for you to interact with the author himself. When you sign the paper it means that you are saying that you take responsibility. Not anyone else. Another thing this could be doing is initiating power. This can remind some readers that they have the power to make decisions. That their problems come from their decisions and that they can remove or create new ones if desired.
Jacci
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 33
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jacci.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight

Post by Jacci »

MalMartin wrote: 29 Nov 2018, 06:34 I think signing your initials at the end of the chapters can mean many things. I typed my initials every time I finished a chapter in my kindle. For me, it just made me feel like I took more responsibility for my own actions. Signing my initials would help me reflect on what the chapter was about. Also, since I have to sign my initials on so many medical papers anyway its almost like my brain automatically categorizes it as something important. I think he did this as a way to make the reader feel like this book or the information within it is important.

As I stated earlier, signing you initials can mean many things. I think its possible that it can just be another way for you to interact with the author himself. When you sign the paper it means that you are saying that you take responsibility. Not anyone else. Another thing this could be doing is initiating power. This can remind some readers that they have the power to make decisions. That their problems come from their decisions and that they can remove or create new ones if desired.
Great! 👍👍👍👍👍

It means many thing! Me, i made it like a quiz.😜
:cooking: :cooking: reading while cooking is the best! :techie-reference: :lol2:
Grantham8589
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Grantham8589 »

I thought it was an outdated move on the authors part to have you “sign” your initials at the end. I put sign in quotations because you the chance of a reader having a tangible book is slim to none. It shouldn’t even be an option on Kindle, Nook, etc.
However I fully understand the principle behind signing your initials. It makes a person take accountability. Usually before you sign your name, or in this case initials, you make sure that you clearly understand all of the subject matter. I feel as that’s it’s a condescending gesture.
revna01
Currently Reading: Storm Front
Bookshelf Size: 143
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-revna01.html
Latest Review: Rufus: A Boy's Extraordinary Experiences in the Civil War by Phoebe Sheldon

Post by revna01 »

I understand what the author was intending to accomplish by having a place for the reader's signature, but it did not have any impact on my personally. In my opinion, I felt no connection to the author or his advice and as such, felt no need to comply with any "instructions"
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

I think this would have made me feel like it was more of a work book instead of inspiration to do better in my life. Not even the stories in the NA Blue Book makes you add your signature at the end. Na separates their inspirational books and their work books for working the NA program. (I know many of you may not understand this without having to actually go to the tables, but in my heart I feel a few of you might understand whether its through NA or AA)
AA1495
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 19636">Out of the Box Awakening</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 122
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aa1495.html
Latest Review: YiaYia’s Kitchen by Brianna Koucos Midgley

Post by AA1495 »

I have read instruction (of leaving initials/signatures) in numerous self help books. At the end of the day, it depends on whether or not the reader believes in the idea. I do not think a signature would have much impact.
amandathebibliophile
Currently Reading: The Fox
Bookshelf Size: 158
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amandathebibliophile.html
Latest Review: Short of Love by Martin Knox

Post by amandathebibliophile »

I didn’t sign my initials because I was reading on my kindle app. I don’t think I would have done so even if I could though. This book really did not resonate with me at all and I didn’t find the initialing idea very impactful.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

Yep - I'm another eBook reader, and I forwent making a note of my initials in the book. I get it, nonetheless - the idea is to engage in a ritual of symbolic accountability. I can see this being potentially useful for those that need an extra boost towards self-improvement.
Gemma_15
Currently Reading: The Five People You Meet in Heaven
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gemma-15.html
Latest Review: End of the Last Great Kingdom by Victor Rose

Post by Gemma_15 »

I think signing your initials at the end of the book was meant to get people to be more responsible. He talks a lot about actively deciding to put yourself in charge of your actions. If you sign your name to something, then you are saying you are going to do whatever it is that you signed. It makes a lot of sense that the author would want the readers to do exactly what he did with his friend. If we just read it then we are only saying we will try. But, by signing your initials you are saying you will accomplish whatever task he has given in that chapter.
"Don't let the hard days win." -Sarah J. Maas
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

NO I dont have any signs like so. And i also dont know about the benefit of the initials at the end of chapters.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

I have seen multiple speakers talk about charging someone a dollar for a book or some advice. The action of the dollar investment made an emotional connection to the information the speaker presented. It made the listener more likely to apply the lesson.

I think that the results will vary. It will not accomplish anything for some people. If someone believes that their signature has the power of a valuable promise, then it would probably hold significant sway.

I use these kinds of tricks on myself. They do work for me, so I can confidently say that there is value in it for some people.
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

I didn't get it at all. I didn't feel any different or see anything change once I did. I did however appreciate the sentiment of having me sit and think about it.
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
becsimpson
Currently Reading: Ringo and the guardians of the waterfall
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-becsimpson.html
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy

Post by becsimpson »

It’s like when you receive a package to your door, you have to sign it to show you’ve received, accepted and taken in the package. It’s a commitment, mostly to yourself. You’re signing to say “yes, I understand this, I take it on board, I accept it, and i’m going to use this for good.” Of course, you could choose to sign it without meaning it, but then you’d just be lying to yourself. I think it connects you to the work more.
Latest Review: The Wall by Some Guy
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

cpru68 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 13:37 I think there is the actual signing of it where the eye and the hand coordinate to get it on paper that can be significant, but also there is a vow that is being made that impacts the spirit and the mental part of us that solidifies our commitment to what we have read and that we will implement it. It’s a contract between ourselves and ourselves and for me, that has great meaning to motivate me.
You have put this across in a way I would have not seen it. I haven't read the book but I think I would have ignored the whole idea.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”