What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Shola0706
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shola0706.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Re: What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Post by Shola0706 »

To me, it is like new year resolutions. You can make them all you want but the actual doing of those actionable items is a different ballgame.
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I think that society has placed a stigma on initialing something. In work, when it comes to receipts at a store, or charts at a hospital, or any other transfer of responsibility, initialing is used. You initial things when you buy a house or sign any sort of legal document. It imbues a sense of responsibility in a person, which is implemented in this book by signing your initials at the end of each chapter. I took it as me signaling my recognition of my responsibility to now implement the things I had learned in that chapter into my daily life.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

FictionLover wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 07:42 I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

I did not think it served any purpose because it did not anchor the topics in my mind and just became a rote way of knowing that the chapter was at an end.
Same goes for me. But I think signing that initial was meant for accountability. Still, it didn't feel right to do it.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

The fact that you've picked this book and you've started to read it, suggests that you are aware that you are in need and know what it is and are looking for means to get it. With this in mind, signing your initials you confirm to yourself that not only you have seen the knowledge penned in the chapter but, you've commited to the responsibility of making use of it for the greater good starting with bettering yourself.
Van112
Currently Reading: How To Fall In Love
Bookshelf Size: 98
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vivianne-nat.html
Latest Review: How To Be Successful by M. Curtis McCoy

Post by Van112 »

I think it meant you are accepting the advice and wants to have a change or improvement in your life. It means you are making a reminder for yourself that it is how you are supposed to act and live.
:techie-studyingbrown:

“I don't think all writers are sad, she said. I think it's the other way around- all sad people write.” - Langleav
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

I think signing your initials accomplishes the same effect as saying 'I have read and understood the contents herein'. Sort of like what sometimes happens when signing up to an online service where you skim through (or skip over) the T&Cs but check the "I agree" button. It really depends on a particular individual as to whether to take what they've read seriously or to just brush it off.
Louanne Piccolo
Currently Reading: A Judegement in Stone
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-louanne-piccolo.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Louanne Piccolo »

You can't sign on a Kindle, but I pretended.
It's likely I will die next to a pile of things I was meaning to read - Lemony Snicket
zarah_
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zarah.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by zarah_ »

HollandBlue wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 14:34 I found that I felt more obligated to use Wdowiak's ideas in my daily life since I wrote my initials in at the end of each chapter. It also made me stop and absorb what I had read.
I think the input of your initials is similar to signing a contract - you'll have to commit to it. For me it means having to follow through with improving my life. It shouldn't be necessary to heed every advise the author has given but you can use his words as a general guideline.
nvii_ft
Favorite Book: The Truth About Forever
Currently Reading: No Dark Clouds
Bookshelf Size: 9
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nvii-ft.html
Latest Review: No Dark Clouds by R W Nelson

Post by nvii_ft »

I never heard of such a thing like this. As far as I know, signatures are often jot down on formal documents or papers that needs authorisation of completion. I think, signing our initials at the end of each chapter accomplished may bring some good. It makes us feel someway accountable, proud and responsible for what we have achieved so far.
a9436
Currently Reading: The Redbreast
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a9436.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt

Post by a9436 »

Personally I found it meaningless and too reminiscent of school work.
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

I did not sign my initials and didn't understand the exact purpose for that. I'm assuming that it meant that the reader understood and was willing to take the advice.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Itskai88
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-itskai88.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Itskai88 »

it was a really smart move by the author to keep readers engaged but making a mental note to change ones self regardless would still make reading it valid. i also find making sticky notes and placing them around the house at eye level helps a lot
Book Lover 35
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-book-lover-35.html
Latest Review: VieVie La Fontaine by Linda Heavner Gerald

Post by Book Lover 35 »

That you are on your way to improving yourself?
:tiphat:
Darlynn_Tebogo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 64
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darlynn-tebogo.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by Darlynn_Tebogo »

I think it accomplished getting people getting committed to the ideas they were getting from the book because by signing I felt as if I was taking a vow to say "Yeah, I get this. Whether I like it or not, I understand it. And here’s my initials to prove it.”
dublinkmy6
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dublinkmy6.html
Latest Review: Manifesto for a Cancer Patient by Colleen Huber, NMD

Post by dublinkmy6 »

As a self-help book, I assume that should be a kind of commitment to actually help yourself. I see no wrong in it.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”