What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

What do you think that signing your initials at the end of the chapters accomplished?

Post by HollandBlue »

By having you write your initials at the end of the chapters, did the author inspire you to actually understand and follow his suggestions? If so, how?

I found that I felt more obligated to use Wdowiak's ideas in my daily life since I wrote my initials in at the end of each chapter. It also made me stop and absorb what I had read.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 473
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

I did not sign my initials and did not know the purpose of doing so. Perhaps once I decide to reread it again, I will sign my initials.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

I did not think it served any purpose because it did not anchor the topics in my mind and just became a rote way of knowing that the chapter was at an end.
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

According to me signing initials at the end of the chapters is useless and not required.
---
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

FictionLover wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 07:42 I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

I did not think it served any purpose because it did not anchor the topics in my mind and just became a rote way of knowing that the chapter was at an end.
I 'air signed' my initials.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 178
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson

Post by cpru68 »

I think there is the actual signing of it where the eye and the hand coordinate to get it on paper that can be significant, but also there is a vow that is being made that impacts the spirit and the mental part of us that solidifies our commitment to what we have read and that we will implement it. It’s a contract between ourselves and ourselves and for me, that has great meaning to motivate me.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

Since I was reading on a Kindle, I didn't sign my initials. I don't really see the use for doing this.
Kareka88
Favorite Book: A Ring of Endless Light
Currently Reading: The Rooster Bar
Bookshelf Size: 302
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kareka88.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kareka88 »

FictionLover wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 07:42 I did not sign my initials because it is impossible to put your initials in a Kindle book. At least in my Kindle.

Signing your initials doesn't matter if you are not willing to make some changes. You can sign and still never do anything to change your attitude or behavior. It's your motivation and self-discipline that will help you to honor yourself by initialing that page.
"Life is an occasion - rise to it." Mr. Magorian
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I got the sense that signing my initials at the end of each chapter was meant to accomplish a commitment to think differently. Yet I did not feel accomplished by even mentally signing my initials to the end of each chapter because the chapters were so short and a lot of the chapters were just full of fluff. I think that if the author had longer chapters with more research that proved certain thinking strategies worked, it would have given me more motivation to sign my initials.
:character-ariel:
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski

Post by FictionLover »

BookReader+6 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 08:59

I 'air signed' my initials.
Funny.

I guess I just wrote it off!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
MKRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkrichards.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by MKRichards »

The author states his reasoning for putting the initial here in the first chapter I believe. It is intended to represent a commitment on your part, to yourself, in an effort to hold you accountable. Like others, I was not able to participate due to my method of reading. I am surprised that the author did not make use of a link to a digital signature of some kind!
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

Perhaps this signature tactic is to make sure we read all documents without blindly signing in the future. I'm honestly not sure how or if most exercises in self help books even work. Its truly hard to actively remember to add the mindset and practices of a book to your everyday life. Maybe I'm not a person that these types of books genuinely get to.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I did not see the need to sign my initials at the end of each chapter. I think that the readers can still read the book with the intent to change and not have to show it to themselves by signing their initials.
Niski
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-niski.html
Latest Review: Of Zots and Xoodles by Zarqnon the Embarrassed

Post by Niski »

I also didn't think it was necessary to have that included in the book.
I didn't use it.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

The author asks readers to sign their initials at the end of chapters to help them stay accountable and have the will to follow his advice. The signing makes it look like the reader is sending a note to oneself. Thus the will to follow through will be stronger.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”