Discuss Definition of insanity

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Discuss Definition of insanity

Post by holsam_87 »

I also view insanity like that. However, I'm aware that breaking my negative habits will be a process.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Lisa A Rayburn
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fluff Dragon
Bookshelf Size: 267
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lisa-a-rayburn.html
Latest Review: Nightlord: Sunset by Garon Whited
Reading Device: B018QAYM7C

Post by Lisa A Rayburn »

I think the key here is that insanity is defined as "doing the same things in the same way and EXPECTING a different outcome." Just doing things repetitively does not denote insanity. It's the expecting different results part that makes it problematic.
Books are my self-medication. 8)
HRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hrichards.html
Latest Review: Yeh-shen by Ray Simmons

Post by HRichards »

MKRichards wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 20:38 The direct quote from Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." The author may not have been aware of how close it was to his (or he did, and chose not to cite it).
I didn't realize that quote came from Einstein and I've heard if forever!
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

In one way I agree with the author but in another I don't. When you are trying to get better/learn something is what I disagree with because as you keep doing something you probably could get better at it, then the results will be different. I personally think insanity is to keep doing something that makes you unhappy to the point that you feel suicidal.
dreamthewilderness
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dreamthewilderness.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by dreamthewilderness »

I agree that this is a symptom of insanity, but I wouldn't call it a definition. There are many ways insanity expresses itself, and repeating the same strategy while expecting different results is only one.
Juddabell_Dixon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Juddabell_Dixon »

Based upon my life and the people I have had the pleasure of being involved with, I do not fully agree with this idea of insanity. There are things in life that you cannot change nor prevent and there is not always a way to get around it. Yes you can change your perspective on the issue ;knowing there will always be another obstacle and train yourself to power through it just to accomplish a goal that may have not been worth all you had to lose to get there.
Mouricia Allen
Currently Reading: Covet (Fallen Angels Series #1)
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mouricia25.html
Latest Review: The Life Inside Maggie Pincus by David I. Billingham
Reading Device: B01N3UC27N

Post by Mouricia Allen »

I have always been annoyed by people who do the same thing over and over and expect a different result. I believe that change is constant, and the only way to have something different happen is to start doing something different.
Sweetp120
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweetp120.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by Sweetp120 »

i agree. I fully feel that insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result, and the fact that it doesn't work. The best physical symbol in my opinion is a hamster wheel. because there's only one way the wheel moves and it only moves when the hamster makes it move.
jhalwix
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jhalwix.html
Latest Review: First Lessons by Lina J. Potter

Post by jhalwix »

While doing the same thing over and over might be the definition of insanity, it's very hard to change that until someone can come up with a solid backup plan.
Ice dragon
Currently Reading: The last oracle
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ice-dragon.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Ice dragon »

My old law teacher defined insanity as; the evil man will cut someone's head off to kill them, the insane man will cut someone's head off and attempt to stick it back on, before turning his attention back to his day.
McKadeemd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mckadeemd.html
Latest Review: Happy Healing by Dominique Bourlet

Post by McKadeemd »

I do agree with the author, although I think it is situational. If you are doing the same thing over and over again, and you are not seeing the desired results, then yes, a change has to be made to get different results. On the other hand, if you are doing something over and over again and it's working well, then I would not consider it insane to continue doing the same thing. Repetition in of itself does not denote insanity.
booklysis
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-booklysis.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by booklysis »

Sakilunamermaid wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 21:59 That is in fact the technical definition of insanity. The point is that you will keep experiencing the same discouragement, failure etc. If you do not learn from the experience. The outcome will not be the positive one that you want it to be. It takes action and choice/ decision to change your life and make a difference.
Doing the same thing is surely going to lead to same results. So, as a matter of fact I agree with Sakilunamermaid. Too right!
Fozia-Bajwa
Currently Reading: The Newton Code
Bookshelf Size: 263
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fozia-bajwa.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Fozia-Bajwa »

yes i know it is insanity to do the same things over and over again and wanting the different results is like to link it with a mental person who cannot think in a normal way.
JordanKSmith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jordanksmith.html
Latest Review: First Family by Alice Langholt
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by JordanKSmith »

I am going to agree and disagree. Can I do that? I see repeated behaviors that are seemingly unsupported by facts as a part of the brain's debugging program to try to make reality clearer.

I see insanity as believing anything that contradicts reality. By that definition, I suppose that we are all insane. We are just insane in different areas and to different degrees. From my perspective, life is a continual process of trying to gain focus on what reality is. Sometimes, that requires walking into the same wall a few times.

When someone stubbornly believes something or acts in an illogical way, they often seem to have some internal, primal need that is lodged within that repeated behavior. It is almost a willing ignorance; a refusal to look at a fact so that they can continue to support that unknown or hidden need. In those cases, it can sometimes be pain rather than insanity.

If that is true, then we should all question repeated behaviors that keep failing to bring desired results. What lies are we each believing? What needs are being supported through those repeated behaviors?

I could be wrong. It might even be likely. I don't know anything about psychology.
Jdalba2018
Currently Reading: A Trace of Revenge
Bookshelf Size: 754
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jdalba2018.html
Latest Review: Gringo by Dan "Tito" Davis

Post by Jdalba2018 »

Of course, everything will be the same if nothing is changed

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”