Discuss Definition of insanity

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Discuss Definition of insanity

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Definition of insanity?
"You can't keep doing the same things in life and expect to get different results. Do you want to live a life of torment? Then keep doing what you are doing, and you will keep getting what you are getting."
Do you agree with this idea of insanity by the author? I know you can do it, but will you do it?
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

Definitely, I agree with the author on this point that, if we don't get a positive result then there is a need to change our approach or mindset towards the goal we want to achieve.
Sicily Joy
Currently Reading: Becoming
Bookshelf Size: 906
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sicily-joy.html
Latest Review: What's Your Favorite Color? by Amber L Lassiter

Post by Sicily Joy »

I agree that if something you are doing isn't working or isn't improving the situation, it is time to try new tactics. Yet, I don't think people who keep doing the same things are necessarily insane. Insanity, in my opinion, is when your behaviors are causing devasting results in your life and you felt a lack of control to do otherwise.
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

I can define insanity as thinking that you know and heading in the right direction while the direct opposite is true.
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

I agree with your view about insanity.
---
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

I agree with it because we often don’t take responsibility for our actions and don’t want to change. Human nature isn’t always excited about trying new things and it looks like craziness when we still don’t get results and we keep doing the same unfavorable things repeatedly.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

If what you are doing is not working, and you aren't getting what you want, then you need to change your actions. You may need to look at the situation in an entirely different way. I don't think you are necessarily insane. You may just be stuck in a rut.
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

I think this line was meant to show that sometimes it is easy to keep making the same mistakes over again. So I will say yes, I do agree that this is a good definition of insanity by the author. As far as real life is concerned, I don't know if it will be that easy for me to truly change my habits. I could try, but I think it would take a lot of self monitoring in order for me to be able to truly change the mistakes I keep making. I would almost need to look at myself from an outsiders perspective, which is hard to do because not everyone has my best interest in mind.
:character-ariel:
MKRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkrichards.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by MKRichards »

The direct quote from Einstein: "The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results." The author may not have been aware of how close it was to his (or he did, and chose not to cite it).
Sakilunamermaid
Currently Reading: Ready Player One
Bookshelf Size: 481
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Sakilunamermaid »

That is in fact the technical definition of insanity. The point is that you will keep experiencing the same discouragement, failure etc. If you do not learn from the experience. The outcome will not be the positive one that you want it to be. It takes action and choice/ decision to change your life and make a difference.
jgraney8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 37
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jgraney8.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jgraney8 »

The definition reflects the labor of Sisyphus condemned to push a rock up a hill for eternity. The expectation of a different result would be a delusion, so it seems to describe one type of insanity. The definition is too narrow, but it does fit many situations. The question then seems to me to be when does insight arrive? If it never does, then it is insanity. If one arrives at the insight of the futility of the repeating the action, does that mean one is sane?
“On the highest throne in the world, we still sit only on our own bottom.”
― Michel de Montaigne, The Complete Essays
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

jgraney8 wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 22:50 The definition reflects the labor of Sisyphus condemned to push a rock up a hill for eternity. The expectation of a different result would be a delusion, so it seems to describe one type of insanity. The definition is too narrow, but it does fit many situations. The question then seems to me to be when does insight arrive? If it never does, then it is insanity. If one arrives at the insight of the futility of the repeating the action, does that mean one is sane?
Yeah, this particular adage has been around for a long time. It's not really anything new in terms of self-help. It's probably helpful to younger readers who haven't been exposed to the concepts in a philosophy or even history class, though.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Vlinstry
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vlinstry.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Vlinstry »

I agree. The definition of insanity is 'doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results'. If you don't change your approach to something then the outcome will never change and you will just end up in a loop.
Katherine Smith
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 524">Nancy Drew</a>
Currently Reading: The Complete Tales and Poems of Edgar Allen Poe
Bookshelf Size: 504
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katherine-smith.html
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Reading Device: B01KVZV52A

Post by Katherine Smith »

I agree with the author's definition of insanity and his advice on how to end the cycle. I think that it's hard to stop this cycle especially if you have been doing something for a long time. An example I thought was when your at work and you keep trying to do more work then everyone else to get noticed by your employer. If you change your outlook on the situation, then you can achieve those positive results.
Latest Review: "Whisky tango foxtrot...copy" by John regan
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I have been told that insanity is: "doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." While that may be true, I also acknowledge that habits are difficult to break, so it takes more than just self-discipline to break those damaging cycles.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”