Discuss Definition of insanity

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Discuss Definition of insanity

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

What the author is suggesting is just the scientific "cause-and-effect" relationship of things. For instance, if you add "one-plus-one" it is guaranteed by the causal probability that if you had been getting the answer of "2" before, then it is axiomatic that you will get the same answer henceforth. The philosophy involved is why would you keep on adding only "one to one" all the time? Why can't you progress to adding "5 plus 5" for a change?
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Jeyran Main
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 336
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jeyran-main.html
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards

Post by Jeyran Main »

Of course, once something you try does not work out you have to change your way. Why would it be called insanity is another question in its entirety? The word does get used wrongly most of the time. How can we really define what is insane? Who are we to judge?
Latest Review: "Stalking The Shadows" by BJ Edwards
Erika Thomas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erika-thomas.html
Latest Review: World, Incorporated by Tom Gariffo

Post by Erika Thomas »

I completely agree with this definition. The author certainly did not make this up, this is a well-known interpretation of insanity with which I fully agree. If you are not getting the results you want with what you are currently doing, then you clearly need to make a change. Only a fool, or someone 'insane', would think they could get different results while continuing to do exactly what they are currently doing.
Jagiine
Currently Reading: Children of Virtue and Vengeance
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jagiine.html
Latest Review: A Collection of Poetry by Cheree Scott

Post by Jagiine »

This is the definition of insanity that I grew up with. Thus, I accept it as one of the meanings of insanity. But, with that, I do not think of insanity as losing ones mind or craziness or a mental disorder. If it is insane to continue with a set of actions and expect different results, then so be it. But, acting in such a manner does not say anything about the mental state of the insane person.
Flowers123
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-flowers123.html
Latest Review: Fragments by Bruce K. Berger

Post by Flowers123 »

I've heard this definition of insanity severally from different authors, and I entirely agree with them including this author. It's not possible to keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect to get a different result. It's a simple analogy.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

Sirajuddin wrote: 03 Nov 2018, 00:41 Definitely, I agree with the author on this point that, if we don't get a positive result then there is a need to change our approach or mindset towards the goal we want to achieve.
I agree. It sounds so simple but it really is the only way to make positive change. I really liked this book and the authors straight-forward approach.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by LV2R »

I think that we are constantly in a stage of needing to change. If there are things that we can do that will help us in the long run, we need to keep trying to do them until we achieve the results that we want. I do not think that it is a definition of insanity to keep doing the same thing but expect different results. Tenacity is keeping at something until we accomplish it. We may need to try something different at times to get a different outcome. For example, I think of how I practice a song on an instrument until I have accomplished it. I keep trying and may break a song down to a smaller piece or even play very slow until I achieve it.
Highly Favoured One
Currently Reading: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Highly Favoured One »

What insight is there behind a person doing the same thing over and over? There is something to be said about consistency and persistence. If you want the rock to crumble, get a sledge hammer and hit it over and over in the same spot. Internally it's cracking though from the outward no difference is visible. So again, it depends on the insight behind it.
Misael Carlos
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Sins of a Master Race
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 213
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-misael-carlos.html
Latest Review: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures by Catherine A. Pepe

Post by Misael Carlos »

For me, insanity is when you think that what you are doing is not insane when everyone else thinks so.
Storm+
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: WatchDogs Abnormal Beginnings
Bookshelf Size: 100
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-storm.html
Latest Review: The Promise of Whiteness: Its Past and Its Future by Martha R. Bireda

Post by Storm+ »

I agree that doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results can be a negative quality to have, especially if the habits you are repeating are self-destructive or harmful to others, but I do not believe that repetition inherently makes someone insane. A person could very easily be trapped in a cycle that they have little to no control over, and, yes, it is their responsibility to try to overcome that, but it does not make them mentally ill. This mentality applies to some cases, of course, but it cannot realistically be applied to most cases, particularly without knowledge of a person's circumstances.
Beatus
Currently Reading: Homicide
Bookshelf Size: 74
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beatus.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Post by Beatus »

Insanity may have different meaning in different situations. Also the meaning is dependent on the mindset of the society or individuals involved. This means that, because of the volatility of the two factors mentioned above, the definition becomes volatile as well. Therefore the author can be right or wrong.
SpencerVo
Favorite Book: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spencervo.html
Latest Review: Lola the Buhund and the Father of Discord by Elbot Carman

Post by SpencerVo »

A long time ago, I did read something similar to that sentence: "If you want a different outcome, you cannot keep doing the same thing". I wholeheartedly agree with both statements. But to call this insanity is a bit extreme to me, as this seems more like failure of logic and self-deception.
It is only with the heart that one can see rightly; what is essential is invisible to the eye.
praisecrown8
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-praisecrown8.html
Latest Review: Chasing The Red Queen by Karen Glista

Post by praisecrown8 »

I agree with your view. Maybe the person hasnt had time to think
Ekta Kumari
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rebecca
Currently Reading: Wild World
Bookshelf Size: 84
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ekta-kumari.html
Latest Review: Humanity Must Survive the 21st Century by Theodore Vornicu
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Ekta Kumari »

Yes, I agree with the concept that assuming doing same things can bring different results is neither productive nor a sign of good decision making abilities. In some way or the other, it indicates a lack of clear thinking. But calling it insanity is a bit extreme; there is a possibility that the person is just directionless or confused.
"Words dazzle and deceive because they are mimed by the face. But black words on a white page are the soul laid bare."

-Guy de Maupassant
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I feel like this author drew their definition from that of Einstein's, and it honestly makes sense. It's one thing to keep consistency when you see something working, it's another to continue doing something if it hasn't shown results for a long time. So yes, I do agree with them.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”