Is this book really offensive?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Re: Is this book really offensive?

Post by Ashley Cremer »

I didn't find the book as being offensive but I also wasn't reading it looking for self-help. Honestly, I read it because it was the November book of the month and I like to read the books of the month. If I was actively trying to change my ways of thinking but wasn't quite ready, I could see it potentially being offensive, but even then probably not.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I think being honest and strait forward is not logical way to present a self help book. I am not offended by this book.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
M Zee
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-m-zee.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill

Post by M Zee »

I think some people advice that is both direct and straight-forward to make the changes necessary in their life. Sometimes there will be those who will change with just good advice. But a lot of times, people need to feel motivated to make that change for themselves. Even the title of the book sets the tone for it. This isn't a good to make you feel good. It's a book to change your views. That's not necessarily offensive unless you take this personally or become defensive.
I was born with a reading list I will never finish.
Poppy Drear
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-poppy-drear.html
Latest Review: Five of Pentacles by Anna Munson

Post by Poppy Drear »

The content wasn't really offensive, but the author saying that people might take offense to it contributes to his patronizing tone, in my eyes. It seems almost like he's saying that anyone who disagrees with him is "offended" by his lack of sugar-coating, rather than respecting others' opinions.
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I did not find anything offensive at all. The author is direct and straightforward and says what he has to. He speaks to the reader in an easy and relatable way.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I found the book honest and direct in terms of its advise. I think this is important because too many advise, unless given by a close friend, are inadequate and superficial.
David Koreas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-koreas.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by David Koreas »

I do think so, if, any part was deemed offensive then that was actually intended to be an action provoking part. I do not think the author had any malice aforethought.
ochiengjr01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochiengjr01.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ochiengjr01 »

I don't find the book offensive. The author creatively sugarcoats the words. I would say it's uniquely woven.
Nerea
Favorite Author: William H. Coles
Favorite Book: Diamond and Pearls
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 672
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nerea.html
Latest Review: Little White Lies by JC Anderson
Reading Device: Laptop
fav_author_id: 89641
Signature Addition: No Wahala

Post by Nerea »

ButterscotchCherrie wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 14:06 The author mentions that the reader might be offended by some of the points he makes in this book. Did any of his assertions offend you? Did anything particularly stand out as being "not sugar-coated"? Or did you notice some different tones in the book? Give examples.
Not at all. Am impressed with how the author addresses the audience with facts realistically. The tone in the writing is one of the kind that will keep you on toes and have you meditate on the principle addressed in each point.
"Regular reading improves your grammar."
No Wahala
Anon_Reviewer
Favorite Book: A Thousand Splendid Suns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anon-reviewer.html
Latest Review: Niching Up by Chris Dreyer
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Anon_Reviewer »

I didn't find anything offensive while reading the book. There were points Wdowiak made that I strongly disagreed with, but these did not take away from the parts that I did agree with.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

The name itself seems offensive but the book is too good. The advices are really practical and helpful.
Natalie Charlene
Favorite Book: The Crux
Currently Reading: Cosmic Queries
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-natalie-charlene.html
Latest Review: The Bird Ride by Wade W. Bergner

Post by Natalie Charlene »

I agree with most of the posts I have seen that the book is not offensive, or at least not to me. I am blunt by nature, and I appreciate blunt honesty most of the time (although sometimes people do use it as an excuse to be a jerk, rather than to provide constructive criticism). Sugar-coating things often leads to poor or incomplete communication.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I didn’t find it offensive at all. It was very blunt about things you may be doing wrong and changes you should make. I especially liked when he said there’s nothing wrong with acting in your own best interests. So many times I think we feel like we need to think of others before ourselves and neglect our own needs of feel guilty thinking of ourselves first.
gfowle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gfowle.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by gfowle »

I didn't find the book particularly offensive. I believe that the author writes that at the beginning, so that as a reader you can anticipate that the book will not just be a "you're doing everything great" kind of motivational book. I appreciated the fact that the author was willing to be blunt about the methods that he believes effectively achieve success.
KCWolf
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Favorite Book: Dark Corners
Currently Reading: Julu
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kcwolf.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by KCWolf »

Sen_Suzumiya wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 06:47 I don't think the author had any plans to offend anyone. I think he wrote this "just in case". We live in a world, nowadays, that gets easily offended by the slightest thing. I can only imagine how a straightforward book like this one might displease some people. Personally, I've learned to respect other people's opinion and I always try to see things from their perspective, thus I didn't find this book offensive at all.
I completely agree with you. It's almost a disclaimer in case someone gets offended...
That being said, I don't think this book is offensive at all.
Currently writing: Charmed Lives, Sovereign Eyes, and Corithian Saga
Recent Binge watch: MSTK3, Midsomer Murders, the Office

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”