Is it practical?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Sushan Ekanayake
Official Reviewer Representative
Currently Reading: My Wind Therapy
Bookshelf Size: 407
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sushan-ekanayake.html
Latest Review: My Wind Therapy: Motorcycling Through A History of Child Abuse And Domestic Violence by Queen Five Star
Reading Device: B0794JC2K5

Is it practical?

Post by Sushan Ekanayake »

This book catogorizes our life events and vividly describes how to overcome the issues we meet in day to day life. Are these teachings practical in actual setting? If so, to what extent?
We all need people who will give us feedback. That’s how we improve.

- Bill Gates -

:lire4: $u$han €kanayak€ :text-feedback:
Gracamac
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracamac.html
Latest Review: A Thousand Seeds of Joy by Ananda Karunesh

Post by Gracamac »

It is helpful but they are many variables that would stop a person from solving problems the way this book suggests. Life is unpredictable.
Debjani Ghosh
Favorite Book: The Lord Of The Rings
Currently Reading: The Evacuees
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-debjani-ghosh.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by Debjani Ghosh »

I think the author's advice is practical. One point that this book states is to be open to new possibilities. So, if anyone finds that the author's teachings are not practical, he/she can always take the advice and apply it in his own way. For instance, the author emphasizes on focussing on your strengths, rather than your perceived weaknesses. This can be applied to oneself almost daily without requiring any practice sheet of a self-help book.
Ruba Abu Ali
Currently Reading: Notes on a Nervous Planet
Bookshelf Size: 111
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ruba-abu-ali.html
Latest Review: Grammar for a Full Life: How the Ways We Shape a Sentence Can Limit or Enlarge Us by Lawrence Weinstein

Post by Ruba Abu Ali »

I think the book's pieces of advice are practical. There is a diversity in the approach to problems. The flexibility in the advice allows one to apply it to real life situations, and change course once required.
OloladeO
Currently Reading: The Michael Project
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ololadeo.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by OloladeO »

Though, I have not read the whole book, but from the sample, I can tell that the points and advices made in the book are practical.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

I find this book, a great energy booster. Also affective for the people who have potential, but a lack of confidence prohibits them to go ahead. Author encourages these people to do, what they want. So, yes, the book is practical, I believe.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Rafaella Michailidou
Currently Reading: Dark Places
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rafaella-michailidou.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Rafaella Michailidou »

I believe that every self-helping book has something to offer. Yes, most of the times we usually know the answer to our problems but sometimes we need someone else to describe to us what's going on inside our heads. Books like those don't have to give you the answer you need, or a recipe to overcome all your problems and obstacles. What they do is explain to you the way things work and the way your mind reacts to different situations so you can understand yourself better and the rest of the world. If we realize that I think every self-helping book would have something to offer to all of us.
“All the secrets of the world are contained in books. Read at your own risk.”
― Lemony Snicket
FictionLover
Favorite Book: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 149
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictionlover.html
Latest Review: Winning the War on Cancer by Sylvie Beljanski
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by FictionLover »

It is practical, but you might not like some of the results.

I changed how I was handling a family situation based on the advice in the book. I felt someone was taking advantage of my time, and I put my foot down. This caused a huge fight and a rift in a family relationship that lasted for months. However, it seems that things are changing, so I guess the advice worked!
"I love reading another reader’s list of favorites. Even when I find I do not share their tastes or predilections, I am provoked to compare, contrast, and contradict. It is a most healthy exercise, and one altogether fruitful." T.S. Eliot
Mallory Porshnev
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading: Moloka'i
Bookshelf Size: 332
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pricklypurple.html
Latest Review: The Paradize Inn by Sheri O'Sullivan

Post by Mallory Porshnev »

I suppose to an extent they can serve as guidelines for what to do in certain situations, but in reality, no one knows how you will react when that time comes. Each person is very different and handles situations with a combination of unique emotions.
Brittanygraves1995
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-brittanygraves1995.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by Brittanygraves1995 »

I believe that the authors advice is somewhat practical. He makes each technique seem so easy; however, it took him more than 60 years to get all this down. I believe that the advice he gives should be worked on every day for several years. It doesn’t just happen over night.
Italiansweety1982
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-italiansweety1982.html
Latest Review: Four Funny Potatoes! by Len Foley

Post by Italiansweety1982 »

I think it's practical to a point. People have different lives so they can take whatever they can from it but it may not all apply to them
Samantha Simoneau
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 240
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samantha-simoneau.html
Latest Review: Dancing With Jesus by Allison Broughton
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Samantha Simoneau »

I had the pleasure of reviewing this book: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=71276. I felt that its best feature was its practicality. It's straightforward, completely un-fluffy, and each point flowed into the next. I especially appreciate that the first step the author recommends is taking responsibility for yourself and your circumstances. Great advice!
Samantha Simoneau

“But upon the stage of life, while conscience claps, let the world hiss! On the contrary if conscience disapproves, the loudest applauses of the world are of little value."
~John Adams :greetings-clapyellow:
MKRichards
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mkrichards.html
Latest Review: Boom! A Revolting Situation by Thomas Richard Harry

Post by MKRichards »

Although I feel that portions of the book are a bit oversimplified, most of it is practical.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I also read and reviewed this book and I find it to be very practical. I think the author's methods for attaining success in every aspect of one's life are easy to implement. Unfortunately, those around you may resist the changes you are trying to make in your life, as the author points out.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Alicia09
Currently Reading: The Cartel Crusher
Bookshelf Size: 270
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alicia09.html
Latest Review: Cat Detectives in the Korean Peninsula by R.F. Kristi

Post by Alicia09 »

The main idea I got while reading most of this book was that if we want our lives to improve, we need to change the way we think about our lives. For example, even if someone is going through a divorce or a lawsuit, they can change their life for the better by focusing on the things they already have and refusing to take the blame for other people's actions. This is obviously hard to do, considering all the different factors that can be involved in a catastrophic event like a divorce or a death in the family. Yet if we change our thinking, we can focus on the positive things we have instead of worrying about what we lost.
:character-ariel:

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”