Is it practical?

Use this forum to discuss the November Book of the month "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Re: Is it practical?

Post by Kristy Khem »

The author's suggestions were practical. I think he gave sound advice. I think his words can motivate its readers to take action and change their life. However, it is only a book and at the end of the day, it is up to readers to actually commit to these actions (for example, standing up for oneself and embracing one's weaknesses).
Laura Del
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-laura-del.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Laura Del »

I hate to say this, but the authors advice I just common sense. I found it to be preachy and he just missed the mark entirely.
"Write drunk, edit sober."~Ernest Hemingway
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

Debjani Ghosh wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 00:21 I think the author's advice is practical. [...] For instance, the author emphasizes on focussing on your strengths, rather than your perceived weaknesses. This can be applied to oneself almost daily without requiring any practice sheet of a self-help book.
I think a lot of the teachings are common sense but we take that common sense for granted. Sometimes it takes for someone to spell out the lessons in order for you to apply the practical advice. For example, it goes without saying that focussing on strength is better than dwelling on the perceived weakness, but human nature is our downfall in many instances.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
melissy370
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 124
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melissy370.html
Latest Review: Home To Kentucky by Thomas A. McCoy
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by melissy370 »

The author's advice is practical. However, where he fails is not giving steps to do these things. For instance, how do I going about changing my thinking? It is easier said than done. He never gives ideas on how to go about it.
Alice Thokchom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 41
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thokchom-alice.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Alice Thokchom »

Like every self-guidebook, this book is practical to some extent. For example, the accounts of personal experiences may be helpful, if we take only the theme. But can't be exactly applied to a person's life, as everybody has different problems. Besides, life is very unpredictable.
A joke is to entertain people. If it fails to do so, it's something else!
Waragu Samuel
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 469
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-waragu-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Waragu Samuel »

The insight given in this book are helpful and practical. Putting them into practice however requires some form of courage including doing away with the words "yeah" and "buts"
“If things start happening, don't worry, don't stew, just go right along and you'll start happening too.”~Dr. Theodor Seuss Geisel (1904-1991)
Sirajuddin A
Currently Reading: Make Your Message Matter
Bookshelf Size: 553
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sirajuddin-a.html
Latest Review: The Unfakeable Code® by Tony Jeton Selimi

Post by Sirajuddin A »

I think to a greater extent we can apply some of the rules the author discussed in this book and see the result.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

I would definitely say the solution mentioned by the author in this book for the day today problems that we face in life is very helpful and practical.
---
cpru68
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: What My Dog Taught Me About Jesus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 179
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cpru68.html
Latest Review: Heaven's Call by Roger Dawson
Reading Device: B00HCNHDN0

Post by cpru68 »

A book that emphasizes looking inward at self talk, the thought life and what we speak is practical. All of this can be done daily and instead of going through life on autopilot, we can self examine what is working and what isn’t. To me it’s like removing old items from the house for donation or to the garbage to make room for better. This book is a way to clean up what doesn’t help people achieve success and allow in what will.
Everything happens for a reason...
Jsovermyer
Favorite Book: Appaloosa Sky
Currently Reading: The Pocket Guide to Minimalism
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jsovermyer.html
Latest Review: Solomon’s Porch by Janet Morris Grimes

Post by Jsovermyer »

This book has practical common sense advice. But it only helps if you are willing to apply it. Most people who read the book will not make any changes to their lives.
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The thing I find with many books like this, is that the advice can sometimes seem a little simplistic. This is not “one size fits all” set of recommendations but more like guidelines to get us thinking differently about things. Everyone’s circumstances and capabilities are different. I think the advice is practical, but should be adapted to ourselves as individuals.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

It's practical to incorporate the advise bit by bit to avoid overcrowding one's mind. The personal stories the author added to the book also make his advice relatable, and readers can see that the author's words aren't far-fetched.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Fatima_Palacios
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 197
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fatima-palacios.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Knights of Chalethire by Matthew Tysz

Post by Fatima_Palacios »

I think it mostly depend in how you choose to take the advise, you can call them practical but most of them are just common sense. Of course every person is different and things that for some might seem simple for others are not so overall the advise is simple but effective.
"and if I die trying, then at least I tried."
-Eiichiro Oda (Luffy)
chelhack
Favorite Book: My Trip To Adele
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 381
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelhack.html
Latest Review: E-M-P Honeymoon by Dorothy May Mercer
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by chelhack »

Yes, I believe these methods a practical in everyday setting. I also feel that is why Author Mark L. Wdowak to such a strong straight forward approach in presenting this self-help guide. But, it is practical to the extint that we must take control and have control over our own lives. We must all crawl befor we walk and that is exactly how is is given in this book.
Chelsea N. Hackett
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

The advice is certainly helpful and honest, but it takes more than just motivation and inspiration to change your circumstances and influence your future. While I believe in the power of positive thinking, acting with intention, and never settling for excuses, there are instances in which you cannot change a bad situation regardless of your mindset.

Return to “Discuss "If life stinks get your head outta your buts" by Mark L. Wdowiak”