How do you feel about spooky books?

For October 2018, we will be reading supernatural and/or horror/spooky tales.
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading: Beyond the Wand
Bookshelf Size: 556
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: Lugares Amables by Lidice Megla
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

How do you feel about spooky books?

Post by Heidi M Simone »

How do you feel about this month's genre? Does it make you excited? Nervous? Neither?

I've never really read an adult horror novel (like Stephen King), so I'm always uncertain of picking up something that's more than children's or YA for this genre. I don't know if that's silly or if this is a problem others face too.

As a kid, I saw several horror movies (with my parents nonetheless) and they left me having several nightmares (and one where I couldn't sleep at night for an entire summer! Thanks a lot The Exorcist!). I'm sure this adds to my reluctance of giving adult horror books a try. :?
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: The Suite Life
Bookshelf Size: 2287
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

I like spooky read, as long as they aren't too scary (someone said Stephen King??).

I have read a few Stephen King books, but not his scary ones. I watched the "The Shining" when I was a kid, and it gave me nightmares as well.
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

gali wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 10:41 I like spooky read, as long as they aren't too scary (someone said Stephen King??).

I have read a few Stephen King books, but not his scary ones. I watched the "The Shining" when I was a kid, and it gave me nightmares as well.
Yeah, I'm thinking at some point to read a Stephen King book, but maybe something less spooky like you said. I won't touch another scary movie now :lol:
Heidi

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

I love spooky books, especially at this time of year! A word about 'The Shining' though, it is VERY scary, beware of nightmares! I didn't have any after reading it, but can remember how scared I was reading it as an older teen. Not to date myself, but that was around 35 years ago now. It definitely leaves a lasting impression!
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

BookReader+6 wrote: 01 Oct 2018, 11:19 I love spooky books, especially at this time of year! A word about 'The Shining' though, it is VERY scary, beware of nightmares! I didn't have any after reading it, but can remember how scared I was reading it as an older teen. Not to date myself, but that was around 35 years ago now. It definitely leaves a lasting impression!
That's awesome that you enjoy spooky books! Hm...yeah, perhaps I'll stay away from The Shining, especially if it that much an impression 35 years later :shock: :lol:
Heidi

Gravy
Gravymaster of Bookshelves
Favorite Author: Seanan McGuire
Favorite Book: As many as there are stars in the sky
Currently Reading: The Ghost Tree
Bookshelf Size: 1027
fav_author_id: 3249

Post by Gravy »

I enjoy horror.

I've watched and read it all my life, and never had any negative effects. I long for something that could actually give me the creepy (preferably fiction, real life is scary enough!). :lol:

What is grief, if not love persevering?

Grief is just love with no place to go.
Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 02:36 I enjoy horror.

I've watched and read it all my life, and never had any negative effects. I long for something that could actually give me the creepy (preferably fiction, real life is scary enough!). :lol:
That's great! Sometimes, I wish I could be like that - not have negative effects toward horror. I don't think that will change anytime soon, though. Oh well :character-cookiemonster:

I agree with you, though, real life is scary enough! :shock:
Heidi

Bianka Walter
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Old Man and the Sea
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 368
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bianka-walter.html
Latest Review: Thir13en by Keegan Nielsen
Reading Device: B06XD5YCKX

Post by Bianka Walter »

I used to be a big fan of horror books. I also realised that they were a LOT scarier than horror movies. When you're lying in bed at night, with no one around, with a wonky bedside lamp, reading a book that describes a spooky scene down to the last drop of sweat... and your dog sneezes.
Well.
It's the end of the world.
You can find magic wherever you look. Sit back and relax, all you need is a book.
- Dr. Seuss
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I don't mind spooky books, although it isn't my go-to genre so I don't read them very frequently. It's probably because I tend to enjoy reading before bed most of the time, which I can't do with horror books because they can give me nightmares. It's the best time of year to give them a try though :)
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Gravy

Post by Gravy »

hsimone wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 08:25

That's great! Sometimes, I wish I could be like that - not have negative effects toward horror. I don't think that will change anytime soon, though. Oh well :character-cookiemonster:

Trust me. It isn't all it's cracked up to be. I literally cannot experience that which horror is supposed to inspire.
Every other genre gets me just fine. Crying/laughing/whatever... :lol2:

A good middle ground, where you're scared but not too scared, would be the best.
Having things scare you too much, or not affect you at all...just no fun.

I'm beginning to think I should ask everyone what the scariest book they ever read was. :lol:

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Bianka Walter wrote: 07 Oct 2018, 14:27 I used to be a big fan of horror books. I also realised that they were a LOT scarier than horror movies. When you're lying in bed at night, with no one around, with a wonky bedside lamp, reading a book that describes a spooky scene down to the last drop of sweat... and your dog sneezes.
Well.
It's the end of the world.
Yes, I can see how creepy reading a spooky book at night would be... :shock:

Aww...poor puppy had no idea sneezing could affect someone so much, especially while reading a scary book :character-grommit:
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Harley-Panda wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 02:59 I don't mind spooky books, although it isn't my go-to genre so I don't read them very frequently. It's probably because I tend to enjoy reading before bed most of the time, which I can't do with horror books because they can give me nightmares. It's the best time of year to give them a try though :)
Yeah, that's what I'm afraid of is nightmares :shock: You are right, though, this is the best time of the year to try out some spooky books!
Heidi

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 08 Oct 2018, 07:02
hsimone wrote: 02 Oct 2018, 08:25

Trust me. It isn't all it's cracked up to be. I literally cannot experience that which horror is supposed to inspire.
Every other genre gets me just fine. Crying/laughing/whatever... :lol2:

A good middle ground, where you're scared but not too scared, would be the best.
Having things scare you too much, or not affect you at all...just no fun.

I'm beginning to think I should ask everyone what the scariest book they ever read was. :lol:
That's good to know :)

I agree, a good middle ground would be good. I'm doing a read-a-long with gali and I find that the scary parts in the book are enough to get me a bit spooked, but not enough to give me nightmares or really feel scared after I'm doing reading a chapter.

If you want to start a topic asking about the scariest book that people have read, I say go for it! It's an awesome and very appropriate question for this month. :)
Heidi

Gravy

Post by Gravy »

That it is!

I just may do that. :)

Heidi M Simone

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Gravy wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 19:45 That it is!

I just may do that. :)
:tiphat:
Heidi

Return to “October 2018 Genre Discussion”