Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
- Posts: 79
- Joined: 09 Apr 2018, 14:36
- 2019 Reading Goal: 10
- 2019 Reading Goal Completion: 70
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 27
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moray-001.html
- Latest Review: The Hand Bringer by Christopher J. Penington
McDowell certainly had different sides to his personality. I think two sides were dominant, Doctor and Mountain Climber. These two aspects of his character really came in handy when he sort of went on exile. His survival skills helped him adapt and remain agile on the run and his medical skills helped him keep himself healthy and even save the life of others.
ALI HUSSNAIN BHATTI
- Posts: 1
- Joined: 29 Dec 2018, 14:13
- Bookshelf Size: 0
I think his role as a father is prominant in th story.
- Posts: 339
- Joined: 21 Dec 2018, 17:49
- 2019 Reading Goal: 40
- 2019 Reading Goal Completion: 25
- 2018 Reading Goal: 40
- Currently Reading: The Lost Identity Casualties
- Bookshelf Size: 83
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jessacardinal.html
- Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami
I believe Hiram McDowell would consider his roles as a husband, lover, and father to be the least important roles in his life. I do believe he found his role as a doctor as well as his philanthropy work to be of utmost importance simply because it made him important to others. Additionally, the philanthropy work allowed him to do what he loved most: hike mountains overseas.
"Let's be reasonable and add an eighth day to the week that is devoted exclusively to reading." - Lena Dunham
Hiruni Bhagya 81
- Posts: 745
- Joined: 31 Aug 2018, 14:43
- Currently Reading:
- Bookshelf Size: 128
- Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
- Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter
There were several roles which were dominant throughout the book. His role as a father was the one constant role. He was a successful surgeon and political figure in the early parts of the book. His roles of musician, and writer were mostly played on the final part of the book. All these were important in creating the character of Hiram.