Protagonist or Antagonist?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Charlyt
Favorite Book: The Night Circus
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlyt.html
Latest Review: Worldlines by Adam Guest

Protagonist or Antagonist?

Post by Charlyt »

Do you think Hiram is the protagonist or the antagonist of the novel? If he's the protagonist, who do you think is the antagonist? Is he his own villain?
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

I think he is both. He is the protagonist in helping his family, and keeping his name. He's the antagonist with Jeremy and the rest of the world when he goes on the run. He's complicated.
Pooihf
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Pooihf »

I personally think he might have a chance of being both because, he can be a protagonist with his peers, and saving his name, but he can also be a antagonist with Jeremy and the whole world around him, when he runs. He can be many things!😂
Sonya Nicolaidis
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading: The Dark Web Murders
Bookshelf Size: 403
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sonya-nicolaidis.html
Latest Review: My Delightfully Dysfunctional Family by Loraine Hartley

Post by Sonya Nicolaidis »

The character that is striving after his goal throughout this book is certainly Hiram - often at the expense of everything else. He continues this, even after he runs, in that he wants to write a memoir telling people his version of what really happened. So that definitely makes him the protagonist of this story. The antagonists would be those who are getting in the way of him achieving his goals. I think these would mainly be Michael and Paige. It must be said, the lines demarcating antagonist and protagonist in this book are blurred - that's what makes this such an engaging read. :eusa-think:
Vscholz
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Bookshelf Size: 816
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vscholz.html
Latest Review: Primrose’s Curse by Kiara Shankar, Vinay Shankar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Vscholz »

Considering the protagonist of a novel has no real relation to alignment (good or evil), Hiram is the protagonist by (literary) definition because he is the major character and drives the story forward. If a story is told from the viewpoint of The Joker, Batman becomes the antagonist because he is against the main character.

I think a better word would maybe be hero (or anti-hero) or villain because it relies on the characterization rather than the main character. :)
As for you & your heart & the things you said & didn't say, she will remember them all when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits. (Schmendrick the Magician)
Cardinalsparrow
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cardinalsparrow.html
Latest Review: Devil in False Colors by Jack Winnick

Post by Cardinalsparrow »

I'll say Hiram is a complex character, the author did a very good job with him. He's both the protagonist and the antagonist of the story and he fits into both perfectly.
Some books are to be tasted , others to be swallowed, and some few to be chewed and digested-- Francis Bacon
cvetelina_yovcheva87
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cvetelina-yovcheva87.html
Latest Review: Our Autumn Years by Arthur Hartz

Post by cvetelina_yovcheva87 »

I think that Hiram is both protagonist and antagonist. He cares for his relatives, although he shows his attitude towards them is very complicated. He is ready to break the law to protect them. On the other hand, he is very selfish and is ready to gain success at all costs. He does not care for the other people's feelings.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

I think you can make an argument that he is both a protagonist and an antagonist of the story. He is a very multi-faceted and complex character. There are different sides to him.
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

sonya01 wrote: 19 Oct 2018, 09:07 It must be said, the lines demarcating antagonist and protagonist in this book are blurred - that's what makes this such an engaging read. :eusa-think:
I agree. It also makes the characters realistic.
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Charlyt
Currently Reading:

Post by Charlyt »

Vscholz wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 00:08 Considering the protagonist of a novel has no real relation to alignment (good or evil), Hiram is the protagonist by (literary) definition because he is the major character and drives the story forward. If a story is told from the viewpoint of The Joker, Batman becomes the antagonist because he is against the main character.

I think a better word would maybe be hero (or anti-hero) or villain because it relies on the characterization rather than the main character. :)
That's interesting. I can see your point. :)
"It is neither fair nor unfair, Nobody Owens. It simply is." -NG
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Hiram is the protagonist; he is the focal character. Too bad he had many bad sides, but I'm glad he did a selfless service at the end of the story.
cornelia_SD
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cornelia-sd.html
Latest Review: The Mindset by Ace Bowers

Post by cornelia_SD »

I agree with most that he's both. I find his character as irritating but at the same time fascinating. So far, I'm wondering if there's a book for Sophie and Charles. :D
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

This question is difficult to answer. At first he was the antagonist. He put every foot wrong and even provoke the reader to hate him. But as time progresses, the reader begins to develop a sense of pity towards his character. In this sense, I don't it's fair to classify him into either category.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

This story is about Hiram. Most of the story revolves around him. There is no other strong character as such. Hiram can be considered both protagonist and antagonist due to the different aspects of his life.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Hiram McDowell would fit both Protagonist and Antagonist.
---

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”