Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Ashley Cremer
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-cremer.html
Latest Review: Shot Down by Steve Snyder

Re: Were you offended by the incestuous relationship between Billy and Tasha

Post by Ashley Cremer »

While not incestuous, I still felt that the relationship was wrong. No matter the relationship, blood or not, I don't think you should sleep with, or have children with, your siblings. It made me feel a little creeped out reading about it.
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

I also didn't like it, but thank God they were from different parents.
Ksharmilla
Currently Reading: Going Wild
Bookshelf Size: 52
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ksharmilla.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Ksharmilla »

I don't think it can be classified as incest because they were not biologically related. Billy did try to resist Tasha and he was most certainly not interested and uncomfortable with her advances in the beginning. I was not offended by it but saw it as a minor plot twist.
BriennaiJ
Currently Reading: Island Games
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briennaij.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by BriennaiJ »

I mean, to answer the question you have to see what you consider to be incest. If they are just stepsiblings and not actually biologically related, is it incest? I heard a real-life story about a couple who was dating and really in love, but then their parents got married for no reason and tried to break them up after the fact. But then the girl gets pregnant, and they can't hide it.
Amy+++
Favorite Book: The Mister
Currently Reading: Last Chance Cafe
Bookshelf Size: 218
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy.html
Latest Review: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance by Morris Rollins
Reading Device: B01CRGNO4S

Post by Amy+++ »

You make a great point. While, I don't really see a problem with the relationship, I do see how some people would have a problem with it.
fictaddict
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fictaddict.html
Latest Review: MY FRIEND Marilyn by Christopher Lentz

Post by fictaddict »

It's strange, because they're not genetically related so I guess it's ok. Still, they seem a little too close to siblings for their relationship to really sit well with me.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

My believe is that once your parents are married, that bond or covenant between them affects the children directly; they become part of it. So this relationship is automatically incest.on lighter note who is going to be the parent in law. So yes, I was offended.
Miercoles
Favorite Book: The Prize
Currently Reading: The Second Eve
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miercoles.html
Latest Review: Business Basics BootCamp by Mitche Graf

Post by Miercoles »

I was rather surprised at that turn of events. Technically they were not related and I believe the lack of emotional connection between the people in the house made the pairing seem okay. However, in a normal blended family such a relationship would be taboo.
Harley-Panda
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-harley-panda.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Harley-Panda »

I wasn't particularly offended per se, as they aren't actually related by blood, but it still doesn't sit quite right with me. I do feel that they had begun to bond as siblings (even though they weren't genetically related) which makes it a bit odd to have the relationship change to a sexual one so drastically.
I think one thing which confused me was that it seemed to jump from 0 to 100 with their relationship, which made it seem as though it was purely lust, not love, in the beginning. It would be difficult for most people to think of a sibling, even one not genetically related, in this way.
I go to seek a Great Perhaps
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

Samisah wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 16:32 I get that the american culture doesn't really see this as strange but in my part of the world, its abominable because by the reason of their parents union, there are legally and culturally siblings. So such sexual thoughts would not be tolerated.
I'm American and agree that it is inappropriate since they are legally and culturally siblings.
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
ShareTheGift
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sharethegift.html
Latest Review: Will of The Hill by Marshall Cobb

Post by ShareTheGift »

While this was not really an incestuous relationship it was on the precipice of being unacceptable. There seems to be more of this lately in books and movies as well.

Those things that we are willing to accept in books and movies but we would stand up and protest about if someone were accused of it in real life.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

This relationship is inappropriate, but not surprising, given the dysfunctionality of the home.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 147
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: Man Mission by Eytan Uliel

Post by Radiant3 »

Although, they were related by marriage and the overall relationship between Billie and the sisters seemed very distant. I thought the relationship between Tasha and Billie was very inappropriate. What was also disturbing was when Hiram had asked Billie if he was having sexual relations with either Tasha or her sister, even before it had happened.
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

I found it very odd but it wasn't too much of a bother because they weren't raised as brother and sister and they weren't biologically related. I'm sure if their relationship was developed a bit more and if they showed it to be a bit more than lust (except for that one scene where Billie said that Tasha loves him the way he is and he appreciates that), I would have actually rooted for them. I wish they had developed Tasha a bit more as well and I admit it was odd how accepting Carole was of this, and even though I didn't approve of Hiram's attitude, it just seems weird that there was no resistance from her side whatsoever.
But I did feel sympathy for Billie and Tasha and I wished he could've been with Earl more so I don't have too much of an issue. It was just a bit shocking that's all. But I loved this plot twist.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

It is unconventional, but I was not offended by Billie and Tasha. I was offended by the way Hiram seemed to encourage Billie to explore sexually with his step-sisters. Hiram treated women as objects and had no regard for them, and he seemed to be grooming his son to treat them the same way. I was very worried for Billie for a while, as I felt his treatment of women began to follow his father's path. I was pleased when he changed how he was treating women, and ended up taking returning to Tasha to help raise the Earl.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”