Can McDowell be a movie?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
LV2R
Favorite Book: Crown of Crimson (The Afterlight Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 345
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lv2r.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker

Re: Can McDowell be a movie?

Post by LV2R »

Yes, I think that McDowell could be made into a movie. The episodes of McDowell climbing the mountain and leaving his climbing partner to die, terminating Jeremy's life at the hospital, prison, escape, and being on the run would all make for some action. Some scenes may be a bit slow in showing some of his family relationships but they could balance out with all the action scenes.
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I only read the sample but I think it would be a good tv show. All the plot twists and seeing all the evil things that McDowell does will draw in viewers. People would be astonished by how terrible his character is and would want to see what he does next. I also think people would want to see what he gets away with and what would finally be his downfall.
Samisah
Currently Reading: Final Notice
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-samisah.html
Latest Review: Illustrated Short Fiction of William H. Coles: 2000-2016 by William H. Coles

Post by Samisah »

Books of this nature usually make great movies. However, it needs a very talented screenwriter for this to work.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

It is a stuff that great movies are sometimes made of, an intriguing plot, high profile colourful characters, conflict and sex.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

Bookmermaid wrote: 09 Oct 2018, 11:58 It is a stuff that great movies are sometimes made of, an intriguing plot, high profile colourful characters, conflict and sex.
True, but the central plot point - McDowell's redemption - is something that a movie wouldn't have enough time to do justice to, in my opinion.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
GEM007
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by GEM007 »

Once i read through this book, i started visualizing the cast in motion picture, i think it would make a superb movie
KitabuKizuri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitabukizuri.html
Latest Review: Mysteries Of the First Instant by Daniel Friedmann

Post by KitabuKizuri »

The book would make a great movie or series but the tragic happenings may pull a certain kind of crowd or vice versa. Some may find it dark and walk away.
Dael Reader
Currently Reading: The Story of Arthur Truluv
Bookshelf Size: 53
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dael-reader.html
Latest Review: Extraordinary Stories From Everyday People (and me) by Les Clark
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Dael Reader »

I agree with KMSingh. As written, it doesn't seem to me like it would a good movie. There's simply too much going on. But I imagine there are screenwriters out there who could truncate the story to include the most sensational parts of it. That is, after all, what most screenwriters seem to do.
StormBorn1721
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15

Post by StormBorn1721 »

It really depends what director will make the movie. Each has their own style and one could always find a way to bring a book to life.
Connie Otwani
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 200
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cotwani.html
Latest Review: The Fisherman and his Foundlings by Phillip Leighton-Daly

Post by Connie Otwani »

I think it could make a movie if the derogatory treatment of women in the book is toned down, and Hiram's change in part 2 made more strong!
There is more treasure in books than in all the pirates’ loot on Treasure Island!
-Walt Disney
lesler
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 88
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lesler.html
Latest Review: Confrontations by Donald J Williamson
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by lesler »

No, I don't think it would work. Too many characters to keep track of, and the details would either be overemphasized or lost, such as Hiram travelling to one spot from another as a fugitive.
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

Why not? Mc Dowell could certianly be a wonderful movie with a blockbuster hit. Nowdays, people are more intrested in negative shade characters.
---
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Post by Doug Jones »

Bavithra M wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 03:45 Why not? Mc Dowell could certianly be a wonderful movie with a blockbuster hit. Nowdays, people are more intrested in negative shade characters.
Nowadays? People have always been fascinated by darker characters. Shakespeare knew this (Richard III, Macbeth etc.) as well as anyone writing today.

I can see McDowell as a TV adaptation, with several episodes to properly explore his personal transformation. Again, I think a movie is too time-restricted to allow his journey the sort of exploration that it deserves.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Bavithra M
Currently Reading: Inspirience: Meditation Unbound
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bavithra-m.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar

Post by Bavithra M »

May be you are right.
---
cess27
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by cess27 »

Of course yes! People will be the one to judge whether it is likely or not. And that depends only to the person's choice we dont have the same thoughts, so we can't say if its likely or not unless McDowell shows something to watch either movie or TV show.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”