Can McDowell be a movie?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Ctcntry4
Currently Reading: Journey of a Bedroom Poet
Bookshelf Size: 31
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ctcntry4.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Re: Can McDowell be a movie?

Post by Ctcntry4 »

I don’t think it would translate well as a movie. It jumps around between different characters points of view so often I think it would just confuse the watchers.
HollandBlue
Favorite Book: The Reel Sisters
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hollandblue.html
Latest Review: It's Hard to Be a Vampire by Viktoria Faust
2024 Reading Goal: 24
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Post by HollandBlue »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote: 22 Oct 2018, 22:52 Let me venture my assessment with due respects for dissenting opinions. If I were a movie producer, my opinion would be that Mcdowell would not gross fairly in the box-office. There are no sizzling action, daring stunts, or epic achievements. However, this could be applied to soap operas, with parental guidance on sensitive issues.
I agree, if anything it should be a soap opera-
:techie-studyinggray: when I get a little money I buy books; and if I have any left l buy food and clothes
Desiderius Erasmus Roterodamas
(1466-1536)
DorcasToo
Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 207
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dorcastoo.html
Latest Review: Tidal Pools by Robert Marier

Post by DorcasToo »

BIG YES for me. I can see it as a movie the turns and twists add in the dilemma and suspense that's a hit.
capricornius16
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 51
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-capricornius16.html
Latest Review: Days of the Giants by RJ Petrella

Post by capricornius16 »

It can be a good film. The characters here are believable and makes for great acting pieces if done right.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Sorry to all respectable members, but I am among the immense dissenters for the idea. One of my most favorite fiction was dramatized a few months ago, the story was based on a strong subject, the author was most favorite of mine, but what happened, when it turned to a serial, seriously it dropped whole my earlier ratings. The cast was not taken according to the caliber, required. The additional editings demolished the real scenario. For then, I am not in favor of converting atleast these serious and strong based fictional books into a movie.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

A movie based on McDowell would be great, from the Himalayas to cross country. The characters are diverse and the storyline would be very exciting in a movie format.
Browlyns
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-browlyns.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Browlyns »

What constitute a great movie is the storyline, cast or screening which has to do more with the setting, plot and content.I've not read the book but if it meets the above criteria it would make a great movie
Sahar Majid
Currently Reading: World, Incorporated
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahar-majid.html
Latest Review: Iron Crossed by Renata Rose and Phil Rose

Post by Sahar Majid »

This would definitely make a good movie. But then again movies never do justice to the books so I'm not sure. This book was so wonderful and I know this isn't practical but if there was a movie I'd want it to the follow the book exactly.
A G Darr
Currently Reading: Roadmap to the end of days
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-a-g-darr.html
Latest Review: Debt Cleanse by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by A G Darr »

If this was adapted to film, it would need to be a television show and not a movie. Reading this book felt like social voyeurism. We were seeing the darkest parts of people's lives play out and fall apart. A movie would not be able to dedicate the time to creating the intricate characters and social web of the book. A movie would make Hiram look black and white, when he is truly a shade of grey. I don't feel like Hiram ever becomes a good person, but he does become a not vile person. A movie would just make him look like a jerk that turns into a nice guy, and that is not who Hiram is.
lexiskill
Currently Reading: The Face of Fear
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lexiskill.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by lexiskill »

As much as I loved this book, I don't think it would turn into a movie well. Reading through the comments I tried to come up with different scenarios that could work for a show or movie and I couldn't come up with any. The author does a wonderful job of writing between characters across continents and it flows well in the book, but I think this would cause difficulty in filming and telling the story.
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

Absolutely. Mc Dowell can undoubtedly be a movie. The reason being, this storyline has all the relevant features that are suitable for making it a movie. The novel contains romance, hate, crime, and mystery in its plot. The characters in the novel are so carefully developed that they appear realistic. This is a well-written novel. The story is intriguing and suspenseful. This novel has the capacity to entertain a vast number of readers. If made a movie, Mc Dowell will surely become a megahit.
fredrick otieno
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fredrick-otieno.html
Latest Review: Kennedy's Revenge by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by fredrick otieno »

It has a great plot flow, the characters are well built by the author, but if it has to be a great movie then it would need some great editing and more additions just for the sake of making it greater.
Hiruni Bhagya 81
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 128
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hiruni-bhagya-81.html
Latest Review: Randy Love...at your service by Shay Carter

Post by Hiruni Bhagya 81 »

I think it'll make a great movie. Since the characters have so much depth and there are so many areas to cover, I'm not sure whether all aspects will be portrayed well in a movie. But with a skill full crew, I think it can be accomplished.
Juliar252
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliar252.html
Latest Review: If Life Stinks, Get Your Head Outta Your But's by Mark L. Wdowiak

Post by Juliar252 »

I think a movie version of this book would be fascinating and helpful. There are many complex characters in the book so I think a movie could more clearly illustrate their actions and unique personalities.
Nusrat_Shabnam_
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nusrat-shabnam.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing

Post by Nusrat_Shabnam_ »

I think it lacks some of the aspects of being turned into a movie. Reading it may be amazing but watching would be too boring.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”