Physician Assisted Suicide

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
joshfee77
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 251
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-joshfee77.html
Latest Review: In Time Forever by Stefan Raicu

Re: Physician Assisted Suicide

Post by joshfee77 »

I think physician-assisted suicide has a place where someone is suffering terribly and it is the most humane option left. If someone is dying anyway, I don't see any point in prolonging their suffering.
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

Euthanasia can sometimes be used as a wrongful explanation to end lives. For that reason, I can't trust that people will use it as it is supposed to be. Thus, I can't really agree with it or anyone who supports it.
MA
AliceofX
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 361
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aliceofx.html
Latest Review: The Demon of Decay by Alex C. Gates
Reading Device: B00ICPVSYC

Post by AliceofX »

Misael wrote: 21 Oct 2018, 04:58 In my opinion, when only a devise is saving a person's life, where eliminating this will end one's life, I will agree on removing the devise and spare the patient immeasurable suffering.
You bring up an interesting point of how letting someone die is not exactly the same as causing their death. It's kind of the same when someone chooses to not go through with chemotherapy. Should someone not fighting death be viewed the same as suicide? These are all difficult questions to deal with.
DakotaA
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-dakotaa.html
Latest Review: Purgatory's Angel by B Hughes-Millman

Post by DakotaA »

While I think it should be strictly regulated, I don't have an issue with euthanasia.

In my opinion, people with certain diseases (to me this includes being able to have it in your will that if you get dementia, for example, that you do not want to be kept alive), over a certain age, or who sentenced to life in prison should have the choice to no longer live.

I do not believe it people suffering unnecessarily, and I find it mind blowing that we have neither the choice to life or to die.

I also hope that if it were to become less taboo that less teens would seek to take their lives when feeling helpless.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Though, McDowell's view on the physician assisted suicide, did not change my notion, but I am also a type of person who believes in destiny. So if the physician assisted euthanasia, it may be the part of physician's destiny.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
jenjayfromSA
Currently Reading: First Family
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jenjayfromsa.html
Latest Review: Adrift by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by jenjayfromSA »

This is a tough one. Remember that if the boy ever did come around, his quality of life would have been ghastly. As he was, he was leeching the life out of his mother, basically taking away all her hope of a second chance. Jeremy had tried to kill himself, so Hiram helped him to finish what he started. If Jeremy had been whole, then no. He might have come around and repented etc. As it was, if he had regained consciousness, he would probably have finished it himself. At least Hiram's action saved his daughter further anguish.
Julie Green
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 45
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julie-green.html
Latest Review: Fate Line by Marc J. Seifer

Post by Julie Green »

I do not support euthanasia. While I empathise with those who are suffering and wish for help to end their lives, I do worry about the potential for abuse and/or normalisation of the practice.
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

Euthanasia is a very touchy subject. Although it is always carried out as last resort, I still think it isn't right. Except the patient personally asks for it, it shouldn't be done.
Georgia Lyonhyde
Currently Reading: A Tale For The Time Being
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-georgia-lyonhyde.html
Latest Review: Snatched Up to Heaven! by Jemima Paul and Arvind Paul

Post by Georgia Lyonhyde »

I don't believe it was PAS. I think he murdered Jeremy because of the harm and fatalities he caused and because while he still lived, Ann was forced to suffer him. He didn't like Jeremy and he made that clear. Although Jeremy attempted suicide and failed, it's possible that he had second thoughts. Therefore to snuff him out like that was wrong as his desires couldn't be verified.
You know you’ve read a good book when you turn the last page and feel a little as if you have lost a friend.
–Paul Sweeney :tiphat:
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

It is really a perplexing notion, how death could be an act of mercy. Life is supposed to be a blessing, and Death the absence of it, merciful? If we rank all the degrees of suffering, we might arrive at the scale of, say, having an ant bite as level One, then, the fatal blow as the ultimate level. Could it be that pain transmuted to sweetness at the Death Level? So, I would say that the motivation of anyone doing euthanasia is, on the least, confused.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
jadelyne
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jadelyne.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by jadelyne »

I feel there is too much out there that takes our choices out of our hands. What is in our hands is how we choose to live. So if I have the ability and the God-given right, free will and all, to choose how I wish to live and how that ends, whenever possible, is my choice as well. I don’t think focusing on the fact that it is assisted death is the point. You get assistance at many points of your life whether it be a nurse helping you bathe or a husband helping you get dressed. So whether we or anyone agrees with the concept of assisted death or not, I believe ultimately it is always the choice of the individual.
briellejee
Currently Reading: Opaque
Bookshelf Size: 292
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-briellejee.html
Latest Review: The Watchmaker’s Doctor by G. M. T. Schuilling

Post by briellejee »

I think the reason why people choose euthanasia is to save pain and resources for the people they love. Others, is to save themselves from pain and false hopes. However, euthanasia is still suicide no matter what the reason is.
"All that is gold does not glitter, not all those who wander are lost"
Kishor Rao
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kishor-rao.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Kishor Rao »

This book gives the very best of the examples of euthanasia if not a legal one. I think what Hiram did was very much right and apt even though others saw it in a wrong way.
evan1995muniz
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-evan1995muniz.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by evan1995muniz »

Well, i would personally not mind getting to choose when or if i would die. I have thought that it would be cool to control my own death in a way. It may sound weird but it is how i think. If i could have an assisted suicide when i am elderly i would certinatly not mind at all.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I believe that taking a life is never right. In this case, Jeremy's attempted suicide failed; God gave him a chance to repent. But Hiram took that chance away.

While I like that Hiram seemed to have matured in the second part of the book, I am disappointed that he didn't feel remorse for killing his grandson. Or did I miss that part?

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”