What do you think of Hiram McDowell?

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
Doug Jones
Currently Reading: Beyond Denial
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-doug-jones.html
Latest Review: The Crystilleries of Echoland by Dew Pellucid

Re: What do you think of Hiram McDowell?

Post by Doug Jones »

Sirajuddin wrote: 26 Oct 2018, 12:27 The character of Hiram is not totally invented by William H. Coles, in real life also we see such type of characters, but they hide their true faces. A novelist simply lifts these characters from society for his plot.
By that rationale, no character in any story is totally invented by any author. For a character to be believable, their personal traits have to be similar to those traits that real-life human beings possess. Otherwise, the reader's ability to empathize with the characters and suspend disbelief when reading the story will be limited.
Nothing is more conductive to peace of mind than not having any opinions at all. - Georg Christoph Lichtenberg
Sweet Psamy
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sweet-psamy.html
Latest Review: Lost and Love: Thailand (Book One of the Lost and Love Series) by Stella Knights

Post by Sweet Psamy »

Actually he looks more like an antagonist than a protagonist. l actually saw him as a man who was down on his luck at the end.
Tracey Madeley
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tracey-madeley.html
Latest Review: The Unbound Soul by Richard L. Haight
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Tracey Madeley »

I am only a few chapters in at the moment, but I haven't read a book with such an obnoxious protagonist since Martin Amis Money. Some readers don't like books where they do not like the main character so in this sense, the author is taking a risk that readers will finish the book. As commentators have suggested it does make for a more interesting character.
stacie k
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 192
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stacie-k.html
Latest Review: River Kids by Jennie Linnane

Post by stacie k »

When a character is as despicable as McDowell, it makes me curious to understand them more. What caused him to become this way? It reminds me of Dr. House in the TV series House. As much as I dislike the character, I'm enticed to continue on to learn more and, hopefully, see some growth in the character.
“The tongue of the wise makes knowledge acceptable.” Proverbs 15:2a
Radiant3
In It Together VIP
Favorite Book: Healing Your Attachment Wounds
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-radiant3.html
Latest Review: The Way of the Goddess by Ananta Ripa Ajmera

Post by Radiant3 »

I think on the surface Hiram is cold, very practical and ambitious. Inherently, I think he has the capacity for great kindness and compassion. If you observe the type of people he connects with on an emotional level. People with strength of character, intelligence, and kindness like Maud and Winona. There must have been something in his own character to become friends with these women.
Even to build the hospital in Nepal, it could not have been all for selfish reasons. He is like any human being. There is the capacity for good and bad qualities to develop.
Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine
Currently Reading: Grace Revealed
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-catherine-amarachi.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko by Matthew Tysz

Post by Maria-Goretti Amarachi Okechi - Catherine »

In my own view, in the first part of the novel, i think Hiram McDowell is a typical example of fame and power driven human who would do all they could to get what they want. Hiram is a good example of a choleric, he gets angry easily, he is a respecter of no one, always self centered and a bad example of a father. For Hiram, money and fame is his own definition of a successful man. But the second part of the novel reveals to us a different Hiram, a Hiram who is now humbled by nature, a Hiram who now show care and love to others, a Hiram who even hide from anything that could make him Famous, a repentant Hiram.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

It's the author's success, if every body is hating Hiram McDowell. I think the writer willingly wrote a character who is negative more and less good. The image of McDowell, that author wanted to fix in reader's mind was successfully delivered as he wished.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
ShailaSheshadri
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-shailasheshadri.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs

Post by ShailaSheshadri »

McDowell is a complex character. It is difficult to judge whether he is good or not. He is an opportunist and survivalist. McDowell cares and helps his children. He helps people as a doctor. He builds a hospital in Nepal for poor people. While roaming from place to place like a fugitive, he helps many people. It is evident that he didn't ill-treat any women.

On the other hand, he neglects his ailing friend during mountain climbing. He tries euthanasia like thing on his own grandson Jeremy. He is a bit selfish too.

In view of all these observations, I conclude that McDowell is a complex character and not a bad character. I liked this character a lot. He is the backbone of this novel.
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 294
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 30%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

McDowell does end up being a full fledged protagonist. The author manages to ammeter. Impressive arch for this character as he is very unlike able I t he beginningof the novel but manages to redeem himself by the end.
TheRVMom
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-thervmom.html
Latest Review: Undead Redhead by Jen Frankel

Post by TheRVMom »

I'm just not sure the author convinced me completely. Sure, he's better in the end but I just can't like him.
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Latest Review: The Fold by Dennis Lee
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

Nerea wrote: 03 Oct 2018, 03:56 Hiram reflects traits that majority in the society possess. This calls to mind that we are all imperfect and reflect traits that might not be appealing to the eyes of men. The fact that he started off badly then later at the end of the story he changes to become a better man reflects what really happen in people's day-to-day life experience.
I agree with you on this. As much as we don't like McDowell, he reflects many moral flaws in a world that is more and more driven by materialistic purposes and personal ambitions.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Cristina Chifane
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: The Magic Mountain
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 898
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-chifane.html
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Cristina Chifane »

daydreaming reader wrote: 04 Oct 2018, 08:04 I am currently reading the book, and at first was merely rooting for Hiram's downfall. He is without a doubt, a narcissist. Right now, I am hoping for some lessons in humility.
I was hoping for the same while reading the book, but I'm not so sure he learns anything genuinely transformative from all his experiences. He does help others in the end; however, he doesn't seem to get rid of his high opinion of himself.
"The madness of writing is the antidote to true madness." (Hanif Kureishi)
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I think he is a man with flaws that we all mortals are. The repentance makes difference. Hiram changed and became a good man.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
ObsessedBookNerd
Favorite Book: Moon Called
Currently Reading: Morning Is Always Nigh
Bookshelf Size: 882
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-obsessedbooknerd.html
Latest Review: 30th Century: Escape (First Edition) by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by ObsessedBookNerd »

I think McDowell is one of the worse character I have ever read. I was so surprised to read some of the things that he did. I don't think that I found any redeeming qualities. He is uncaring and does what he wants to fulfill his greed/selfishness.
ochiengjr01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ochiengjr01.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by ochiengjr01 »

As for me, i think Hiram is inhuman. He leaves his friend behind without helping him when climbing the mountain to become the champion on reaching the peak.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”