Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Use this forum to discuss the October Book of the Month "McDowell" by William H. Coles.
ems2
Currently Reading: Political Dirty Trick
Bookshelf Size: 69
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ems2.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Re: Overall rating and opinion of "McDowell"

Post by ems2 »

I think it would be an error not to read the whole novel. The character of McDowell is reprehensible at first, but the beauty of the book is that his attitude changes as the book advances. The different women he meets lend advice which resonates with McDowell and helps him grow into a much more acceptable person, I was moved by the novel and enjoyed it very much.
HailKingEbi
Currently Reading: The Notebook
Bookshelf Size: 13
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hailkingebi.html
Latest Review: Pastoring is not what you think by Elijah Oladimeji

Post by HailKingEbi »

I haven't read the book. but the reviews are lovely and I'm especially interested in the relationship between Tasha and Billy. I can't wait to read this.
We're all puppets, Laurie. I'm just a puppet who can see the strings - Doctor Manhattan.
fernsmom
Favorite Book: Smith
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fernsmom.html
Latest Review: The Easter Make Believers by Finn Bell
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by fernsmom »

It was interesting to see that in McDowell he was such a hard character to find any redeeming qualities in the first half of the book. In the second part I was more apt to find his good qualities, and actually come to respect him. The author gives the reader such a good overall in-depth look into this character that at the end of the book I had to question myself on whether he was an awful man, or a man that had made mistakes and was trying to lead a better life.
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

I rated this book 4 out of 4 stars because it deserved it. I started this book expecting to hate it and the main character. And the blurb did not help. But Coles was able to do exactly what I believe his aim with this book was, he gave us the facts of who McDowell was and what he had done. He gave an unbiased recount of his life and allowed us to decide what we thought of the main character. I think it was a great book and I would recommend it in a heartbeat to those looking for more depth than the usual feather weight books that float around as different books are made for different moods
Theresa Moffitt
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-theresa-moffitt.html
Latest Review: Royal Gossip by Trisha Goodwin
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 35%

Post by Theresa Moffitt »

I just started reading this book and am really liking it so far. The main character seems very interesting and I enjoy the writing style.
P Reefer
Favorite Book: The Lost Identity Casualties
Currently Reading: De Facto Feminisn
Bookshelf Size: 159
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-p-reefer.html
Latest Review: The McCoys Before The Feud by Thomas McCoy

Post by P Reefer »

I would rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. Its is an action packed narrative that is character driven by a man who once lived quite comfortably then loses everything. While he is initially bitter, he learns to find joy and solace in the ordinary . He becomes a better human being living like a vagabond on the run than when he lived like a King in his Corporate medical world.
Moddesser Elahi
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: The Power of Now
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-moddesser-elahi.html
Latest Review: Then Comes The Flood by John Payne

Post by Moddesser Elahi »

I loved this read. The book is centralized on the life of the protagonist McDowell. Instead of his discompassionate behavior as mentioned in the story, there is something about this character that left a long-lasting impression on me. I would have rated this book 4 out of 4 stars if there would have been lesser typos. I recommend this book to people who are open to a story where there are very few explicit instances but a lot to contemplate and understand about a being in different situations.
PANACEA - Please do not overvalue your body and mind! Just be life! :dance:
Melchi Asuma
Currently Reading: Patch Man
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-melchi-asuma.html
Latest Review: The Roving Mind: A Modern Approach to Cognitive Enhancement by Anthony Simola
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by Melchi Asuma »

I absolutely loved Mcdowell - the book- but not Mcdowell, the sleazy character. He was the only thing wrong with the otherwise great book. Who can blame him though? He made the book worth reading.
MA
Leyla
Currently Reading: Banished Threads
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leyla.html
Latest Review: Soul Seeker by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Leyla »

I am standing at a cross roads. I have never read any previous books by this Author and now I am not sure if I want to.
Nephyz+254
Favorite Book: McDowell
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nephyz-254.html
Latest Review: McDowell by William H. Coles

Post by Nephyz+254 »

I recently finished reading this book and I must say that, it's one of the best novels I've ever read. I adore Mr. Coles writing styles. The characters were real, however, some of them were not quite imitable. There is much to be learned from the rise and fall of McDowell. This is a novel I can boldly recommend to other readers.
Ayat paarsa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 66
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayat-paarsa.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by Ayat paarsa »

Sir William H. Coles, a great story creator, definitely this book is also a great craft by him. Hiram McDowell is a character, which will leave unremovable marks on the brains.
:reading-5: @paarsa. :escribir:
Ijeoma Kikelomo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ijeoma-kikelomo.html
Latest Review: Visions of Prosetry, Collector's Edition II by Vèè Nelly

Post by Ijeoma Kikelomo »

The recommendations on this book are great, but it is difficult to ignore the blurb. The plot doesn't captivate me and I think I'll be skipping this read.
inmod
Favorite Book: We are Voulhire: The Fires of Virko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 40
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inmod.html
Latest Review: Kalayla by Jeannie Nicholas

Post by inmod »

I have only finished the first part of the book. I'm still reading it. I find it intriguing that how characters in McDowell were totally different from each other.
Zimall
Favorite Author: Atilla K. Zengin
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 26
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zimall.html
Latest Review: The Sparrow by Denna M. Davis
fav_author_id: 156933

Post by Zimall »

I haven't read this book but i think its an intriguing book and would provide an amzing read.
"All That is Gold Does Not Glitter
Not All Those Who Wander Are Lost"
Beate Levai
Favorite Book: Final Notice
Currently Reading: the girl who knew da vinci
Bookshelf Size: 32
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-beate-levai.html
Latest Review: Final Notice by Van Fleisher

Post by Beate Levai »

I first declined reading McDowell because of its blurb. Then I remembered once I read an interesting article on the author's website: Story in Literary Fiction. In this article, he notes "...Creating a distinctive form of an original likeness, and for success, the artist making the original likeness more beautiful. Ennobled, Aristotle asserts." I assume this novel is about McDowell's ennoblement. Writing about someone's conversion from wrong to right is quite a complex experiment for a writer. And for the reader? I do not know yet. I have just started reading this book.

Return to “Discuss "McDowell" by William H. Coles”